Sponsored by:

all 8 intake inner springs broken

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2006, 09:04 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default all 8 intake inner springs broken

How is that possible?

I installed some used 921's with a MS3 a few weeks ago. Fired up, not lasting ticking after the lifters pumped up. Drove the car on the stock tuning to have the idle taken care of with the AC on so the man could drive the car. Felt like a turtle but I figure the computer would learn it somewhat after a few hundred miles. The cam was installed Dot to Dot like Ive always done. If it wasnt we'd have heard some kind of ticking otherwise with valves hitting the piston.

The car has Flowtech headers, Hooker ORY, through the stock catback with a flowmaster muffler. Stock Clutch, etc. No other supporting mods. I drove the car back to the customer and he was excited. I told him in order to get the most power from the cam/setup he needed more supporting mods and a better exhaust setup. I advised him to change his oil and he did that night.

Following week or so he had the car tuned at a local shop who is known for Great work. SimpleQuick Racing. Daniel calls me and tells me the car made 377rwhp on his dyno. I told him that sounded close to about what I expected with that exhaust setup and no cutout. The car is an 02. After the dyno tune/driveablity tune, he drives it, loves it etc. Happy as a clam. Goes to change his oil again because hes just like that. Finds some inner spring fragments in the pan on his drain plug. I loaned him my tool to pull the springs off, and we find all 8 intake inner coils broken.

I installed the 921's with the factory installed integrated seat/seal setup. Is there a certain height for these to be installed at? I assumed these were stock drop in replacements. Am I wrong in assuming that? What could cause the inner springs to break on only the intake side. My concern would be the heat cycling or lack there of from previous installed car. Any light on the subject would be great. I listed this here because I want real insight. Ive called a few pe
Old 07-17-2006, 09:07 AM
On The Tree

Is the intke lift higher then the exhaust lift?

Maybe the inner springs were coilbinding.
Old 07-17-2006, 09:09 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by 1936FordPU
How is that possible?

I installed some used 921's with a MS3 a few weeks ago. Fired up, not lasting ticking after the lifters pumped up. Drove the car on the stock tuning to have the idle taken care of with the AC on so the man could drive the car. Felt like a turtle but I figure the computer would learn it somewhat after a few hundred miles. The cam was installed Dot to Dot like Ive always done. If it wasnt we'd have heard some kind of ticking otherwise with valves hitting the piston.

The car has Flowtech headers, Hooker ORY, through the stock catback with a flowmaster muffler. Stock Clutch, etc. No other supporting mods. I drove the car back to the customer and he was excited. I told him in order to get the most power from the cam/setup he needed more supporting mods and a better exhaust setup. I advised him to change his oil and he did that night.

Following week or so he had the car tuned at a local shop who is known for Great work. SimpleQuick Racing. Daniel calls me and tells me the car made 377rwhp on his dyno. I told him that sounded close to about what I expected with that exhaust setup and no cutout. The car is an 02. After the dyno tune/driveablity tune, he drives it, loves it etc. Happy as a clam. Goes to change his oil again because hes just like that. Finds some inner spring fragments in the pan on his drain plug. I loaned him my tool to pull the springs off, and we find all 8 intake inner coils broken.

I installed the 921's with the factory installed integrated seat/seal setup. Is there a certain height for these to be installed at? I assumed these were stock drop in replacements. Am I wrong in assuming that? What could cause the inner springs to break on only the intake side. My concern would be the heat cycling or lack there of from previous installed car. Any light on the subject would be great. I listed this here because I want real insight. Ive called a few pe
You must use the Comp seat bases. The inner spring is "shimmed" by the stock seat base making them coil bind and break.
Old 07-17-2006, 09:12 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by CamKing
Is the intke lift higher then the exhaust lift?

Maybe the inner springs were coilbinding.
Obvisouly they were. But why? These are on stock heads unmilled etc. Its a TSP Magic Stick v3. 237/242 603/609 113lsa
Old 07-17-2006, 09:12 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by gomer
You must use the Comp seat bases. The inner spring is "shimmed" by the stock seat base making them coil bind and break.
These are 02 cylinder heads with the integrated seat base/oil seals. Is this the seat you are talking about? or different?
Old 07-17-2006, 09:15 AM
Banned

These are 02 cylinder heads with the integrated seat base/oil seals. Is this the seat you are talking about? or different?
Never mind. I see that the person who sold them to my buddy never gave me the spring seats. Thats nice of him. So these install just like the PRC's....This was my first set of 921's. Ive always installed the PRC stuff.
Old 07-17-2006, 09:20 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

hmm.. thats good info to know. thanks.
Old 07-17-2006, 09:22 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by MrDude_1
hmm.. thats good info to know. thanks.
I was under the impression that the 02 spring seats/seals would work. Obviously not. But its partially my fault but more importantly the previous sellers for not supplying the entire kit like should have been in the first place.
Old 07-17-2006, 09:33 AM
11 Second Club

Never mind. I see that the person who sold them to my buddy never gave me the spring seats. Thats nice of him. So these install just like the PRC's....This was my first set of 921's. Ive always installed the PRC stuff.

Yes, just like the patriot/prc's. The seat bases are interchangeable between the comps, patriots, prc's.
Old 07-17-2006, 09:47 AM
Banned

Yes, just like the patriot/prc's. The seat bases are interchangeable between the comps, patriots, prc's.
Bummer.

Why only on the intake side of the setup..Why not both. The lift and duration are both higher on the exhaust then the intake...Confused about that one. Pretty sure valve float has occured to do this to the intake...Im assuming it should/will make more power with the new springs and correct bases on there.

Another vote on why not to buy/purchase used springs. If you dont know whats supposed to be included in the set, dont buy
Old 07-17-2006, 06:14 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Maybe because the intake valve is heavier?????
Old 07-17-2006, 06:18 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Beast96Z
Maybe because the intake valve is heavier?????
Also, if he "floated" the valves.. the P/V on the intake is generally where contact is. I'd do a leakdown on the car to make sure that no intake valves are warped.