Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

got head/cam and have Q's

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2006, 10:42 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default got head/cam and have Q's

Hey guys. Im asking this for my friend; he has a 99 Z28 with 70k auto. he just got a head and cam upgrade. he went with dart pro 205cc and a comp cam 229, is this a good pair? I know hes having problems with it missing all the time when he starts to get on it, the guy who did the mods said he dyno tuned it, but i dont think so... he also noticed shavings in his oil, says he checked the dip stick and it looked like glitter. thats normal right after a head/cam upgrade right? its the cam 'breaking in' ? any help is great! Thanks!!
Old 08-06-2006, 10:53 PM
TECH Resident

uh.....no. you would expect some more than normal shavings ...very tiny, but i would not think anything like that. from what you say it sounds like something is getting rubbed and eaten away at

if you need tuning help hit up Nick Williams up here. that is his name. he just helped me with my injector problem. Hopefully you have heard of him... the wondrous 90mm TB maker
Old 08-07-2006, 10:35 AM
Launching!

common guys???
Old 08-07-2006, 11:08 AM
12 Second Club

After my head cam swap i didnt notice any shavings or anything in my oil. It is definately not normal. Who did the install and tune maybe that will shed light on the problem.
Old 08-07-2006, 06:59 PM
Launching!

it was strictly performance. hes been doing some asking around and it turns out they are a pretty shady business that isnt even licensed... they kept his car there for almost a month and charged him for a dyno tune when they didnt even do one. i feel bad for my friend... but hes going after them hardcore!! I know i wont take my car there!!!!
Old 08-07-2006, 08:08 PM
Staging Lane

Engine basics class 101:
No glitter=good things.
Sparkles in the sun on the dipstick= bad things.

Bearing looks like quicksilver in oil.
I just did h/c swap.
No Sparkles. I check the drain pan in sunlight as I pour it to transport container after all lube oil drainouts.
Old 08-08-2006, 12:57 AM
Launching!

well, he changed the oil tonight and said he noticed it seems to run alittle smoother. Now were looking for a good dyno tune shop in california 805 area. any suggestions?

Trending Topics

Old 08-08-2006, 02:03 AM
Launching!

Where did he get the Dart Pros' from, were they "as cast" or did they have additional machine work done? Could be the heads weren't thoroughly cleaned up after machine work.......which is why you should always clean them one more time yourself before assembly. Ideally there should not be any metal visible in the engine oil. Is it stuck to the drain plug magnet? That should tell you if it's aluminum or steel (head machinings or not). The last time I saw metal glittering in the sunlight was when I drained my manual tranny oil........
Old 08-08-2006, 03:28 PM
Launching!

parts came from strictly performance. i dont think there was anything on the drain plug, he said more of a fine glitter in the oil. I dont know about the condition of the heads before the install. I wish i was there during the install, obviously this strictly performance guy needed supervision...
Old 08-10-2006, 02:01 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by SoCalZ28
it was strictly performance. hes been doing some asking around and it turns out they are a pretty shady business that isnt even licensed... they kept his car there for almost a month and charged him for a dyno tune when they didnt even do one. i feel bad for my friend... but hes going after them hardcore!! I know i wont take my car there!!!!
thats funny.seeing as youre friend was there for his dyno tune and then brought it back to get it looked at for an ignition interuption. It ended up being an ignition switch problem and some of the wiring running next to the slp headers that he installed, not strictly were overhateing and decayed due to heat.Then the customer come to pick up the car and takes off without paying his bill . . . I got a good laugh out of it,especially as far as the engine wireing harness, completely pieced together in multiple places ,grounding areas, injector conections and more.
Old 08-11-2006, 10:05 PM
8 Second Club

Looks like So Cal Z28 is a bit misinformed by his "Friend" on some BS that he got called on here and he has obviously seen and hasn't replied since the person that he was referring to said their part.So I say that complaining and either pretending to be a friend or whatever should be sure you know WTF you are talking about before you go publically bashing someone based on heresay.Get your facts straight.
And also your "Friend" ran out on his last bill.That was uncalled for as well but hey **** happens.
Old 08-11-2006, 10:15 PM
Teching In

Thank God For A&a Corvettes And Charlie....they Got Her Tuned Just Fine
Old 08-12-2006, 05:01 AM
Launching!

I Wasnt On Here To Bash Anyone. If You Read The Origional Question You Will See What Information I Was After. And yes, thankfully a known master mechanic was able to fix what mysteriously went wrong while strictly performance had it during the month it took him to install the heads and cam
(dyno tune was on the bill but was not done), and A&A was able to dyno tune it. Im Glad To See Were All Adults On Here...

Last edited by SoCalZ28; 08-12-2006 at 05:11 AM.
Old 08-12-2006, 07:59 PM
Launching!

Oh yeah, Rob- I really like your duct tape fix...
Old 08-12-2006, 10:36 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by ROB55
thats funny.seeing as youre friend was there for his dyno tune and then brought it back to get it looked at for an ignition interuption. It ended up being an ignition switch problem and some of the wiring running next to the slp headers that he installed, not strictly were overhateing and decayed due to heat.Then the customer come to pick up the car and takes off without paying his bill . . . I got a good laugh out of it,especially as far as the engine wireing harness, completely pieced together in multiple places ,grounding areas, injector conections and more.
And what was the numbers on that DYNO? Any problems with the DYNO?
The hard facts will come out soon enuff.......Besides its not nice to screw over military
Old 08-13-2006, 08:54 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by 92ASSWHOOPIN
And what was the numbers on that DYNO? Any problems with the DYNO?
The hard facts will come out soon enuff.......Besides its not nice to screw over military
if i wanted to screw over the guy i would have reported him to his c.o. but i am not willing to ruin someones career over $350.00 and yes there were problems with the first dyno due to his ignition switch interfering with the vats it would make a good pull and then a bad one....but as you said we never dyno tuned it ....right.....
Old 08-13-2006, 08:57 PM
FormerVendor

and we never charged him for any repairs whatsoever dam i must have a f--ked up idea of screwing over someone thanks for pointing this out to me .
Old 08-13-2006, 09:18 PM
Staging Lane

wow, i need more. i can't stop reading.
Old 08-13-2006, 09:35 PM
Launching!

listen up, your the one that started all this crap and is now pointing the finger at yourself! you never even dyno'd it.. you didnt have a dyno graph when he went to pick it up, you said youd have to mail it to him cause you were in a hurry????? WTF is that?? you called him and told him it was ready to pick up, you told him to go test drive it when he got there. if i remember from your past posts on this thread (#10) you said he took off w/o paying his bill.....??.... why would you have a cust test drive their car right after you did and head/cam install w/o a dyno tune?? do you think the cust is going to be impressed it wont shift into 2nd? of that it misses like a **** when gettn on it, or idles at 3-3500 rpm. thats plan negligent, it wasnt safe... tring to stop in traffic on the way home!?! I cant believe you tell a customer their car is ready to be picked up with it running like that.

I did not start this thread to point a finger. IM NOT ON HERE TO FIGHT. you did this to yourself, coming on here and bashing your own customer who trusted you with his LS1, trying to act like your a victim in all this. Have you done a search on your business name lately, I found a number of threads started by people who arent happy with strictly for one reason or another.
Old 08-13-2006, 10:38 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by SoCalZ28
listen up, your the one that started all this crap and is now pointing the finger at yourself! you never even dyno'd it.. you didnt have a dyno graph when he went to pick it up, you said youd have to mail it to him cause you were in a hurry????? WTF is that?? you called him and told him it was ready to pick up, you told him to go test drive it when he got there. if i remember from your past posts on this thread (#10) you said he took off w/o paying his bill.....??.... why would you have a cust test drive their car right after you did and head/cam install w/o a dyno tune?? do you think the cust is going to be impressed it wont shift into 2nd? of that it misses like a **** when gettn on it, or idles at 3-3500 rpm. thats plan negligent, it wasnt safe... tring to stop in traffic on the way home!?! I cant believe you tell a customer their car is ready to be picked up with it running like that.

I did not start this thread to point a finger. IM NOT ON HERE TO FIGHT. you did this to yourself, coming on here and bashing your own customer who trusted you with his LS1, trying to act like your a victim in all this. Have you done a search on your business name lately, I found a number of threads started by people who arent happy with strictly for one reason or another.
you obviosley do not know what you are talking about. the customer picked the car up from the dyno,he was there when it was being dyno'd what part of this equals out to it was never dyno'd...you might try an inteligent aproach to youre posting thats all i am saying i am not saying there where not problems with the car just saying you are miss informed ,or you are posting a part lie thats all ,and that the problems that where with his car had nothing to do with the install,and it was dyno'd...just put the whole truth.if i thought there was a problem with his car when he arrived and tried to pay for it before he drove it i would have accepted his money and then let him drive it not the other way around.i wanted to make sure he was happey with the car before he payed .so take youre tired a-- off this post seing as it has nothing to do with you,and have your friend contact me if there was a problem.