Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

what does burnt coolant smell like out of the exhaust?

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2006, 03:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default what does burnt coolant smell like out of the exhaust?

For some reason and a couple occasions, i noticed what i thought was a burnt coolant smell. Kinda smells like waffles and syrup? but my car is pretty much stock and i change the oil on a regular basis and dont notice any smoke out back. I don't see it leaking on the ground, maybe leaking onto the exhaust?

Mike
Old 10-18-2006, 03:48 PM
On The Tree

Yah it smells kinda sweet. Are you lossing coolant? Pull your plugs and look for discoloration on the ceramic.

You may also want to run a pressure test. Could be something simple like a crossover pipe.
Old 10-18-2006, 03:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

I did some searches and everyone whose had a headgasket problem was using NOS, had aftermarket heads installed wrong, or had a procharger. So me being stock, im hoping its nothing. Its not a strong smell, just something i smell occasionally getting out of the car from under the drivers seat. Im gonna check the coolant and oil later if i can after work.
Old 10-18-2006, 03:56 PM
9 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

could it be the heater core leaking inside the car?
Old 10-18-2006, 09:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

well tonight, i checked the oil, no loss of oil, the cap had some brownish sludge but i do tons of short driving and i had my coolant completely flushed last year. I smelled it a bit inside the car when i put the heat on and in the engine compartment, but didn't smell it out the exhaust. Its coming from the engine compartment area somewhere. What would a leaky heater core do besides smell occasionally?
Old 10-18-2006, 10:09 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Got a small leak in a hose? Is the waterpump weeping? See any puddles/drips under the car?

Just some suggestions...
Old 10-18-2006, 11:10 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 92SilverSHO
well tonight, i checked the oil, no loss of oil, the cap had some brownish sludge but i do tons of short driving and i had my coolant completely flushed last year. I smelled it a bit inside the car when i put the heat on and in the engine compartment, but didn't smell it out the exhaust. Its coming from the engine compartment area somewhere. What would a leaky heater core do besides smell occasionally?
CHECK YOUR PASSENGER SIDE FLOORBOARD TO THE RIGHT OF THE HUMP!!! I bet shes soaked, get that crap off the carpet.
Old 10-19-2006, 07:01 AM
TECH Fanatic

ill check it today and no puddles under the car that i can see however its rained for the past 3 days so its hard to tell, but i haven't seen anything.

EDIT
Ok, just checked the carpet and not wet or anything and went for a ride, not really any smell and i put the heat on full blast, it was like dry heat and the car warmed up fine. No puddles under the car either.

Last edited by 92SilverSHO; 10-19-2006 at 12:09 PM.
Old 10-19-2006, 02:42 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

dude just pressurize the cooling system and then keep it pressurized for 10 minutes or more and see if you can find a tiny mist or little pool of coolent puddling around the engine bay. you can pick up a pressurizine kit over at the parts department. it'll make your job so much easier and faster.
Old 10-19-2006, 04:00 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by reject
dude just pressurize the cooling system and then keep it pressurized for 10 minutes or more and see if you can find a tiny mist or little pool of coolent puddling around the engine bay. you can pick up a pressurizine kit over at the parts department. it'll make your job so much easier and faster.

Rent the tool at autozone...

Although don't bother reading th gauge to see if you have a leak... The tool I had lost about 1 PSI every 10 minutes by itself... Friggin POS...

Quick Reply: what does burnt coolant smell like out of the exhaust?