Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Coolant Leak PLEASE HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2006, 10:21 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Coolant Leak PLEASE HELP!

I have a 2000 C5 LS1 head and cam car. I am trying to track down a coolant leak. The leak started a couple of weeks ago. From what I can tell the coolant is dripping off the engine cradel at the rear of the engine near the oil drain plug. I first thought it was the coolant passage block offs on the rear of the heads now I'm not sure. I noticed tonight that when I ran my hand along the base of the drivers side head that it is was wet. Possibly a leaking head gasket? No whtle smoke yet or coolant in the oil. Car still runs strong. I have ARP head studs and am running .041 GM gaskets. I'm stumped as to were it could be coming from. Also looking down on the drivers side there seems to be coolant puddled up along the ridge where the oil pan connects to the engine block.
I have been smelling coolant burning when the car is shut off ever since the mechanic reinstalled the heads and ARP studs. Could the studs be torqued incorrectly causing a leak?

Please help guy this is driving me nuts! Thanks.
Old 11-06-2006, 10:34 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I would definately start pressuring the system and visually inspecting it. You can go out and buy one that will fit right to the GM radiator and pressurize it to the spec on the cap. Then look towards the back to see if you can see where the seepage is coming from. I would start with the block off since they would allow coolant to run down alongside the back of the head. All the the head bolt holes are blind holes and will not leak coolant. If you cant see where it is coming from then, I would start by pulling the intake manifold off and pressurize the system to help pinpoint it easier. Welcome, great looking car!
Old 11-07-2006, 05:36 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Responded in your other thread, what did he use for tightening torque (70 lb-ft required with ARP lube) and what did he use for thread lubricant? ARP torque is very dependent on the lubricant used to obtain the proper preload. You need to find out what he did.
Old 11-07-2006, 01:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

Is it possibly coming from one of the two coolant plugs that go in the back of the heads. I know after my swap, I had one of the front ones leaking.

Edit: These guys!
Old 11-07-2006, 03:04 PM
Teching In

I think I found the problem. Coolant is puddeling up on the block around one of the head studs. Doesn't appear to be coming from the block but from the head gasket.
Old 11-07-2006, 05:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

head gasket problem < cracked block (not getting all coolant out of blind holes and torquing down)