Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What are these do-dads that go on top of the heads?

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2006 | 05:01 PM
TECH Apprentice

Default What are these do-dads that go on top of the heads?

i left these off during my head swap, and iam getting all kinds of steam or something coming out. iam going to put them back on, but what are they? also, i get a crap ton of water coming out of my exhaust now.

Old 11-05-2006 | 05:03 PM
TECH Addict

look like plugs where the coolant pipes should go.
Old 11-05-2006 | 05:04 PM
TECH Junkie

rear coolant crossover block offs
Old 11-05-2006 | 05:27 PM
TECH Addict

put the tools down and step away from the car
Old 11-05-2006 | 05:30 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Wow. Bolt those back on the top of the heads! Pull the intake, they go right in the far back 1 on eash side. After that, send it to a shop everytime you want something done.
Old 11-05-2006 | 05:48 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Slo_240sx
Wow. Bolt those back on the top of the heads! Pull the intake, they go right in the far back 1 on eash side. After that, send it to a shop everytime you want something done.
Old 11-05-2006 | 05:53 PM
TECH Fanatic

put the tools down and step away from the car

Trending Topics

Old 11-05-2006 | 05:55 PM
TECH Apprentice

wow, nice group of guys you are. i suppose you were all just born with this knowledge then? a learning curve was never applicable to you guys, huh? anyways, once i noticed the spot for them on the heads, i looked on my tray for them thinking that i took them off to put the top small head bolts in and forgot to put them back in.

yea, i knew they went there, but had no clue as to what they did....sorry folks, ill try to never ask a question again.

todd
Old 11-05-2006 | 05:59 PM
TECH Junkie

coolant passage plugs.

remove the intake and take a gander at the back of the engine, it should be pretty evident beyond that point.
Old 11-05-2006 | 06:00 PM
TECH Addict

Yes, those are the coolant passage block offs. Be sure to put them in with the nipple pointing down (like the one on the right hand side in the first pic). From what I can tell, you're also missing the gaskets, they're oval shaped and have two holes in them (one for the bolt and the other for the nipple). Good luck getting it all together.
Old 11-05-2006 | 06:01 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by s346k
coolant passage plugs.

remove the intake and take a gander at the back of the engine, it should be pretty evident beyond that point.
well, i know where they are at. thats how i found the "do-dads" in my tray. i knew they went there, i just forgot to put them back. what i did not know, was those pieces function.

todd
Old 11-05-2006 | 07:15 PM
TECH Senior Member

I got a good laugh out of this one
Old 11-05-2006 | 07:30 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Dont sweat it Todd, at least you had the ***** to ask.
Old 11-05-2006 | 07:46 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Krab
Yes, those are the coolant passage block offs. Be sure to put them in with the nipple pointing down (like the one on the right hand side in the first pic). From what I can tell, you're also missing the gaskets, they're oval shaped and have two holes in them (one for the bolt and the other for the nipple). Good luck getting it all together.
well there were no gaskets to begin with. the helms service manual shows no gasket on the diagram either.

i put them back on, but there is still steam or something burning. plenty of smoke, and the truck will go well over 220 degrees while idling now. the smoke appears to be coming from the passenger side lower engine.

todd
Old 11-05-2006 | 07:55 PM
TECH Enthusiast

hate to say this, but, pull the manifold again, and check that the little rubber o rings are in the little doo dads. If they are, then I would get new ones from the dealer. Also, I would warm up the truck a little 2 or three times, dont let it get past 190. The heat from the motor will burn off any water, then, wait till it is totaly cool, start it up for about a minute or two, just enough to get the engine barely warm to the touch, then yank off the intake. If you have water leaking out thoes do dads, then you will see puddles of water/antifreeze. You can also spend time looking around for any other leakes while your doing this whole process.
Old 11-05-2006 | 08:06 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by csmc711
hate to say this, but, pull the manifold again, and check that the little rubber o rings are in the little doo dads. If they are, then I would get new ones from the dealer. Also, I would warm up the truck a little 2 or three times, dont let it get past 190. The heat from the motor will burn off any water, then, wait till it is totaly cool, start it up for about a minute or two, just enough to get the engine barely warm to the touch, then yank off the intake. If you have water leaking out thoes do dads, then you will see puddles of water/antifreeze. You can also spend time looking around for any other leakes while your doing this whole process.
that was my next guess. i inspected the o-rings and they looked fine, but i have been wrong before i just dont feel like doing it tonight, and my wife is bitching. those damn do-dads. i like that better than cooland block offs anyhow.
Old 11-05-2006 | 08:15 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by VTODD
wow, nice group of guys you are. i suppose you were all just born with this knowledge then? a learning curve was never applicable to you guys, huh? anyways, once i noticed the spot for them on the heads, i looked on my tray for them thinking that i took them off to put the top small head bolts in and forgot to put them back in.

yea, i knew they went there, but had no clue as to what they did....sorry folks, ill try to never ask a question again.

todd
Billy Madison "I'm never coming back to school, NEVER!!! "

J/K
Old 11-05-2006 | 08:32 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by transAm-98
Billy Madison "I'm never coming back to school, NEVER!!! "

J/K
Old 11-05-2006 | 09:05 PM
TECH Addict

todd
Point taken but with this forum available there should be very few questions that can't be answered before you continue reassembling.

Hint - whenever you're doing a big job, stop from time to time and account for all your parts and tools, look ahead at the parts remaining and be sure you know where they go and that they are for something not done yet, as opposed to several steps ago.
Old 11-05-2006 | 09:44 PM
Closed ex-Sponsor Account

well there were no gaskets to begin with. the helms service manual shows no gasket on the diagram either.

i put them back on, but there is still steam or something burning. plenty of smoke, and the truck will go well over 220 degrees while idling now. the smoke appears to be coming from the passenger side lower engine.

todd
They don't look like gaskets. They are about 1/16th thick and the shape of the plug. They will usually stick to the heads when you pull the plugs. You will need to get replacements if you can't find them. GL. Don't worry about the mistake. Everyone here makes them. Most just don't have the guts to post their f**kups so others end up repeating the same mistakes.