Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Broken MS3 Cam?!?!?!?!

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2007, 10:46 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

And given that criteria, hopefully this discussion not only shows the near absolute that the cam was the root cause of the subsequent part failure(s), but brings to bear that the manufacturer will ultimately feel more responsibility beyond the required part replacements.

Make enough noise and hopefully they will.....
Old 02-01-2007, 09:10 AM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

20 bux says the head broke.... engine was spinning high and the lifter popped off the cam, turned sideways and then took a chunk out of the cam which is why its just a little thin slice or whatever.

correct me if im wrong but coil bind strong enough to break the casting in the head should be somewhat visible on the spring itself and probably should have scarred it when it binded?

NOT TO MENTION... if those springs dont bind till 710 lift... this dude would have hit his valve into his piston as there is not nearly enough PTV clearance to run 700 lift. or at least i dont see it being done on a stock shortblock with any duration.

if there is a scar on the piston from PTV contact then problem solved... it was the cams fault and it caused the problem. if there is no scar on the piston there is no way in hell that this guy encountered coil bind. plain and simple...

you guys overthink things too much sometimes
Old 02-01-2007, 09:49 AM
12 Second Club

Received 560 Likes on 444 Posts

It's the casting itself. Trevor at TSP just said so and is giving another member a free set of heads because these castings were "overported" apparently. Awesome cutomer service, I have to say. You should get with them and see if they'll replace your heads. I think they'll take care of it now.
Old 02-01-2007, 11:34 AM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

A metalurgist can look at that cam and tell if it was defective or a hit broke that peice off. They look at it under a microscope and see whats up. My guess is Comp did that to see if it was their cams fault or not. Either way I would have expected TSP to handle it maybe a little better considering their cost involved. And thats a big maybe.
Labor charges arent usually covered, only parts. AFR did but thats above and beyond what most (98%) of shops would do.