Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

TR6's vs TR55's

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2006, 09:42 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Lightbulb TR6's vs TR55's

I have a N/A WS6 with the mods in my sig.. Ok, I ment to put TR55's but somehow i ended up with TR6's. Its been so long i dont recall how i did but the point is, i did...(I believe my old tuner told me to because of my compression 11:5.1)

Im not planning on juice anytime soon, so my question is... What are the draw backs of running a colder plug? I mean, am i going to lose HP because of this?

One more question, ive asked sooo many people and nobody has given me a direct answer. What to gap my spark plugs to? I cant remmember the gap but i know i just guessed and left them somewhere in the middle of what everyone was telling me... Maybe, .37

Any help would be great! Thank guys!
Old 12-02-2006, 10:04 PM
TECH Regular

A colder plug with cost you Horsepower.......
Old 12-02-2006, 10:23 PM
11 Second Club

well, a colder plug will certainly cost you after some time, if you didnt NEED the colder plug. becuase its "colder" it doesnt burn off the residue left behind from the combustion process, therefore fouling the plugs in short order. thats when it will cost you HP. (and driveablilty cause it will crank longer before starting, and so on.) Im not so sure you'd need the TR6 at that level, just because the str is that high. since you already have the TR6 in there, pull one out and see how it looks. if its dark/wet, prolly too cold. if its nice and light tan then your set. I would go for a nice long freeway cruise first just in case youve been doing lots of stop and go driving can give that look too. I like platinum plugs if your not goin to spray.
Old 12-02-2006, 11:04 PM
11 Second Club

It probably won't make much of a difference.

I'm doing h/c soon and I'm going with the TR6's.
Old 12-03-2006, 04:07 AM
Launching!

well lucky for me im doing a cam swap again, so ill just pull them out... theres another 15 bucks...

So what to GAP to, anyone?

Thanks guys
Old 12-03-2006, 07:31 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

If you read NGK's tech literature, they recommend one range colder for every 100 hp that the engine has been modified. Seems to me that the TR6's you are currently running are the correct plug. I would leave them alone. Also, an error on the cold side means a fouled plug, an error on the hot side can cause bigger problems.
Old 12-03-2006, 07:37 AM
11 Second Club

Old 12-03-2006, 10:08 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The TR6 isnt a bad choice for high compression motors... Im running the TR6s with 11:1 and love them. No fouling, no misfires, plenty of spark advance without KR.
Old 12-03-2006, 08:07 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by vettenuts
If you read NGK's tech literature, they recommend one range colder for every 100 hp that the engine has been modified. Seems to me that the TR6's you are currently running are the correct plug. I would leave them alone. Also, an error on the cold side means a fouled plug, an error on the hot side can cause bigger problems.
Oh boy, we dont want bigger problems... You guys think my tuner could find out if there doing good or not?

BTW... Lol... No one has given me a GAPspec yet

Thanks guys
Old 12-03-2006, 09:46 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by TWISTEDTA
well lucky for me im doing a cam swap again, so ill just pull them out... theres another 15 bucks...

So what to GAP to, anyone?

Thanks guys
Only $15? Not running platinum? or double platinum? They last a lot longer and changing plugs on an F body is a bitch.
Old 12-03-2006, 09:47 PM
11 Second Club

.045 is what I like to use on N/A motors. but it is something you can play with a little. again, its better to err on the side of caution and be too small of a gap then too big. but I dont think there will be an exact best spec.
Old 12-03-2006, 11:06 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by mullenh
Only $15? Not running platinum? or double platinum? They last a lot longer and changing plugs on an F body is a bitch.
Well its been so long, I think thats what i paid... I could be wrong
Old 12-03-2006, 11:07 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Irocss85
.045 is what I like to use on N/A motors. but it is something you can play with a little. again, its better to err on the side of caution and be too small of a gap then too big. but I dont think there will be an exact best spec.

That might be where i had them the first time around

Before i put the cam in tommorow ill check'em..

Anyone running my exact set up?
Old 12-03-2006, 11:18 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm running 11.34-1 CR with my heads/cam in sig. I run tr6s gapped@.038 for the occasional nitrous use, but 99.9% of the time it's all motor. I have been running tr6s since I was only bolt-ons with no fouling, idle issues, nothing, and now with the extra hp and all they're actually the correct plug for all motor. I'm not gonna be running spray for a while so next time I swap them I'll gap them to .045.
Old 12-03-2006, 11:48 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by BriancWS6
I'm running 11.34-1 CR with my heads/cam in sig. I run tr6s gapped@.038 for the occasional nitrous use, but 99.9% of the time it's all motor. I have been running tr6s since I was only bolt-ons with no fouling, idle issues, nothing, and now with the extra hp and all they're actually the correct plug for all motor. I'm not gonna be running spray for a while so next time I swap them I'll gap them to .045.
So i shouldnt gap them to .45 then since im not gonna run juice
This is worse then trying to pick out a cam.... lol

Well your car is running great, but i wonder if you swaped to TR55's, would see a gain in HP and if so, how much? hum....
Old 12-04-2006, 12:51 AM
10 Second Club

So i shouldnt gap them to .45 then since im not gonna run juice
This is worse then trying to pick out a cam.... lol

Well your car is running great, but i wonder if you swaped to TR55's, would see a gain in HP and if so, how much? hum....
No you mis-understood me. I said I WASN'T going to be running N2O so when I put in a new set I WILL gap them to .045 for ALL MOTOR use.

I am confident that these are the correct heat range to use for engines with our hp level. Too hot of a plug with high compression on the bad end of things can melt pistons. I know that seems extreme but that's the best example I can come up with. I didn't even notice a loss of hp in both of the LS1 cars I have had even when they were relatively stock by switching to the TR6s, you surely won't with your setup.
Old 12-04-2006, 08:00 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by mullenh
Copper has better performance than platinum, which is why most of us just run the copper. Chances are the plugs are coming out for a head or cam swap before they ever wear out, atleast on my car

If you want the performance of copper, but much longer life, invest in the iridium plugs. Theyre the best of both worlds.
Old 12-04-2006, 08:39 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I ran the TR55 in mine at .050 gap. Anywhere between .045-.050 is ok from my experience. My car has 11.7:1 compression and had no issues with the TR55. If it were to be sprayed I would change to the TR6 as that is what has proven to work with the locals here in tampa. you can drive with no problems with the TR6 as I know several car running those now with no issues.
Old 12-04-2006, 01:00 PM
Launching!

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by BriancWS6
No you mis-understood me. I said I WASN'T going to be running N2O so when I put in a new set I WILL gap them to .045 for ALL MOTOR use.

I am confident that these are the correct heat range to use for engines with our hp level. Too hot of a plug with high compression on the bad end of things can melt pistons. I know that seems extreme but that's the best example I can come up with. I didn't even notice a loss of hp in both of the LS1 cars I have had even when they were relatively stock by switching to the TR6s, you surely won't with your setup.
Oh... I did mis-understand you bro, my bad

Yea ill go ahead and gap them at .45
My motor should be over 500hp & if not, then im sure its close. So i think its safe to assume this is the correct plug

I want to thank all of you for all your input, i can finally put this plug issue to rest and worry about other things like, where the heck to buy my catch can and my msd wires hehe
Old 12-04-2006, 05:10 PM
10 Second Club

Oh... I did mis-understand you bro, my bad

Yea ill go ahead and gap them at .45
My motor should be over 500hp & if not, then im sure its close. So i think its safe to assume this is the correct plug

I want to thank all of you for all your input, i can finally put this plug issue to rest and worry about other things like, where the heck to buy my catch can and my msd wires hehe
No problem man

I recommend the AMW catch can, they raised the price since I bought mine but it is a high quality piece no doubt.

Got my MSDs at Thunder maybe???? Been to long lol, just the cheapest sponsor, but that's a given.

Quick Reply: TR6's vs TR55's