Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Am I the only one????

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2002, 05:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Am I the only one????

For the past month my car has been missing on #8 between 5k and 5500 rpm's. NO ONE seems to know what is wrong with my car.

If I let the car cool down and then take it out it will make one or two perfect passes but then it starts missing above 5k. (maybe heat related)

I am on my 3rd set of plugs since the problem started, I just put some MSD plug wires on this past weekend, pushrod's, spring's and compression are all good. I have zero KR, o2's are staying between .900 and .910. I have run race gas and fuel injector cleaner through the car also.

The problem came up when I changed out the factory plugs for some tr6's and I put an ASP crank pulley on it the same day. The car now has tr55's in it.

Can someone give me some advice on what to do? Am I the ONLY one who has ever had this problem before?
Old 01-27-2002, 06:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

Default Re: Am I the only one????

well I found someone else that has the same problem, he posted in the drag racing section. his car runs fine at an operatin temp of 162 but when it gets to 192 is when he has the miss. that is the same thing my car is doing.

I dont know if this will help anyone but hopefully someone can help us out.
Old 01-28-2002, 03:18 PM
TECH Fanatic

last night I took out the injector for #8 and put it in the #1 postition. When I went out on the test run the car missfired on 8 and 1. there was some rust and gunk in the fuel rails that we tried to clean out as best we could but aparently the back of the rail is bad enough to not flow to the last injector and the #8 injector is clogged up somehow.

I took it to the dealership and they said they wouldnt warranty the car because of the headers being on it so what should I do??

Can someone please actually reply to this post and help me out NO ONE on this board or any other board has helped me out with this problem so far.
Old 01-28-2002, 04:22 PM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 1,143 Likes on 743 Posts

Perhaps have the injector cleaned? Or run some injector cleaner thru the car? You run some cheap gas at some point?
Old 01-28-2002, 04:39 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 45 Likes on 31 Posts

run injector cleaner and see if it goes away
swap other injectors
swap coils
swap coil harnesses
use anti seize on the plug threads and dielectric grease on the nipples (hehe)
remove pulley (yea i know it doesnt make sense, but just try it)
Old 01-28-2002, 04:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

how can I clean the injector? is there any special way of doing it?

what should I do about the fuel rails being rusty?
Old 01-28-2002, 06:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

cmon guys, help me out here. I thought this was LS1tech someone has to know something about this.
Old 01-28-2002, 07:02 PM
TECH Enthusiast

1. Replace the rusty rail. I got one here used for $35 Shipped. I had to replace it because I stripped the shrader valve end putting on an autometer fuel pressure gauge. If you are not going to put a fuel pressure gauge on it I will sell you mine for $25. I will pay for the shipping to TX. The valve inside is fine but the threads on the outside of the rail are stripped. The original black cap will screw on. I just cant tighten a fuel pressure transducer onto it for the gauge.

2. One injector is not expensive. I would buy a new one. You can try and clean the rust out of it by disassembling the injector, but I wouldn't risk it personally. You could have your serviced, but the turn around time would not be worth the wait for me and would cost almost the price of a new injector anyway.

I would be worried about the rail being rusty on the inside! Get some water remover additive to clean out your tank.

Sterling.

[ January 28, 2002: Message edited by: AZLS1 ]</p>
Old 01-31-2002, 03:12 PM
TECH Fanatic

I finally broke down and took my car to the dealership for them to look at it. They call me that afternoon and tell me it is ready so I go and pick it up the next morning (today).

It was raining so I couldnt make a pass till this afternoon and what do you know the car is still messed up. So I went back to the dealership and they put it on the scanner and now the car is randomly missing on different cylinders above 5k.

The dealership wants me to bring it in early in the morning so they can spend the whole day trying to figure out what is wrong with it.

Can anyone tell me why the car would run perfect when it is still warming up and in closed loop and when it gets hot and is in open loop the car has missfires above 5k? Do the o2 sensors or anything else change when the car is in open loop as opposed to closed loop?

*edit* while the car was at the dealership they cleaned out the entire fuel system from the tank to the injectors, just FYI

[ January 31, 2002: Message edited by: Bad Habit Bird ]</p>
Old 01-31-2002, 03:31 PM
Staging Lane

It seems to me that a lot of people have a high RPM miss after changing the ACdelco plugs. Why not put the stock plugs back in? Joe..
Old 01-31-2002, 05:35 PM
TECH Addict

Is there someone who well let you swap coil packs with them just to test out the problem?

Chris