Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is a new Mass Air worth $300+ ??

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2002, 01:50 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is a new Mass Air worth $300+ ??

I've seen as much as 7 to 10 advertised rwhp from them, but I'm sure there is a cheaper way to modify the original one?

Can I just remove the screen of my stock one?
also, will I have to stop running the supposed "custom tunning" from my HPP3?

Thanks for the help

Alex
Old 03-05-2002, 01:58 PM
TECH Addict

Default Re: Is a new Mass Air worth $300+ ??

[quote]Originally posted by SuperZ28:
<strong>I've seen as much as 7 to 10 advertised rwhp from them, but I'm sure there is a cheaper way to modify the original one?

Can I just remove the screen of my stock one?
also, will I have to stop running the supposed "custom tunning" from my HPP3?

Thanks for the help

Alex</strong><hr></blockquote>Just have someone port out your stock one because its not worth 300 bucks to buy a new one.You can also get some ported ends from the sponsors on the side bar.I would stop running the hypertech power tuning because it does rob you of power.
Old 03-05-2002, 02:06 PM
Launching!

Thanks for the advice..I had no idea that the "power tunning" actually lost power...I really didn't thjink it would make any, but not lose some at the same time...

Any idea what I would look at to port out the stock one?

thanks again
Alex
Old 03-05-2002, 02:14 PM
TECH Addict

[quote]Originally posted by SuperZ28:
<strong>Thanks for the advice..I had no idea that the "power tunning" actually lost power...I really didn't thjink it would make any, but not lose some at the same time...

Any idea what I would look at to port out the stock one?

thanks again
Alex</strong><hr></blockquote>If I were you I would buy the maf ends from a sponsor.But if you want I can give you the guys number that did mine I stay in the suburb of fort worth so I am not that far away.Just shoot me and email if you want.He does excellent work for dirt cheap.He is a tool maker and a fabricater and he made a custom throttle body for my car as well.
Old 03-05-2002, 03:01 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I would not recommend porting the ends. I would do no more than remove the screen. The reason is because ported MAF ends can speed up the process of killing your trans. The ported ends can reduce the line pressure to your trans at WOT, resulting in added clutch slippage on the shifts. The PCM looks at a few different variables to determine line pressure, and the MAF is one of them. This will wear the clutches quicker, resulting in shifting problems and eventual clutch replacement. The gain from the ported ends comes from leaning the car out and gaining added ignition timing, not from the added airflow. Patrick G proved that even a heads/cam car doesn't need the added airflow (with our current intake manifolds at least). He has an A4 that dynos over 400 RWHP, and he saw a 0 RWHP difference from going from a set of ported ends to a stock MAF. If you want to do it correctly, I would buy a MAF Translator and strap the car on a dyno w/ a wideband O2 sensor. This way you can accurately tune the car to an optimal a/f ratio.

[ March 05, 2002: Message edited by: Trevor D ]</p>
Old 03-05-2002, 03:28 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I would just leave the MAF alone.
Old 03-06-2002, 12:54 AM
TECH Addict

That maybe so about the tranny but I dont think patricks car is a 98 model like ours.For some reason our cars are the only ls1s to pick up on a ported maf sensor.Mine made a hell of a difference when I got it done.
Old 03-06-2002, 07:27 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

[quote]Originally posted by The Booker Man:
<strong>That maybe so about the tranny but I dont think patricks car is a 98 model like ours.For some reason our cars are the only ls1s to pick up on a ported maf sensor.Mine made a hell of a difference when I got it done.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Patrick's car is a '98 SS convertible. You picked up nice power because the '98's were synonamous for running rich from the factory. A ported MAF just leaned it out and gave you some timing; that's where your power came from.
Old 03-06-2002, 08:22 AM
Banned

absolutely not
Old 03-06-2002, 08:31 AM
Launching!

Shortly after I bought my '99 M6 I installed a GMAF and had the car dynoed with and without HPP tuning. With the two together, there was detonation and a loss of seven horsepower. So for a while I used the GMAF without HPP tuning. Subsequently I removed the GMAF and reinstalled the factory MAF (descreened) with no apparent loss of power.
Old 03-06-2002, 08:32 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i'd follow Trevor's advice. If you are running rich, the HPP3 tuning will take care of that.