Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How to on cam install?

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2007, 10:08 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default How to on cam install?

I am thinking of camming the ss , but have never installed a cam before. I'm a do it yourselfer, so dont want to spend $1600 plus on having it done. My question is, is there a how to site specific to and lsx car on the ins and outs of how to do it? Springs, degree, pushrods,ect. This is something i always wanted to know how to do , and now that my car isnt my dd , i have the chance. I just dont want to go in blind.
Old 01-21-2007, 10:10 PM
11 Second Club

ls1howto.com
Old 01-21-2007, 10:14 PM
12 Second Club

ls1howto.com is the place to go. JUST TAKE YOUR TIME! If you have any doubt about the last thing you did.... take it apart double check and do it again if you think its wrong. Be sure to have a Haynes manual handy as a good backup.
Old 01-21-2007, 10:36 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by h8s2w8
ls1howto.com is the place to go. JUST TAKE YOUR TIME! If you have any doubt about the last thing you did.... take it apart double check and do it again if you think its wrong. Be sure to have a Haynes manual handy as a good backup.
ls1howto.com has been a life safer!!!!!!!!!! i have done many cam installs but on older vehicles/cars so it was very good experience for me!!!
Old 01-22-2007, 03:43 PM
11 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Another vote for ls1howto.com. I did my first cam swap last winter and by following the step-by-step instructions everthing went smoothly.

Like h8s2w8 said, take your time. Rushing leads to mistakes and the consequences can be very costly.

A couple of other recomendations:
1) if you get to a step in the directions that doesn't seem completely clear to you, don't guess. Ask for help on ls1tech. I had to check one or two things and I got answers back in like 15 minutes. People are glad to help.
2) don't work when you're tired.
3) alway use a torque wrench. Guys that do this for a living might have the experience to tighten bolts "by feel" with reasonable accuracy. The rest of should use a torque wrench and not risk snapping bolts, stripping threads or having things come apart.
4) wait until you knock off for the day before you open the beer.
Old 01-22-2007, 03:49 PM
TECH Senior Member

www.ls1howto.com OWNS all other cam install write-ups. If you run across a problem aske here, people are quick to respond usually.
Old 01-22-2007, 04:04 PM
TECH Apprentice

thanks for all the advise guys, i will read over ls1howto.coms write up a few times, ask some more questions ,do some more reserch , and then give it a go.
Old 01-22-2007, 05:10 PM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just used ls1howto this weekend and it is extremely helpful.

An absolute must is buying a couple spare locks, I didn't and probably spent an hour with a pen magnet probing around to find a few we dropped.
Old 01-22-2007, 05:17 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by zheiling
I just used ls1howto this weekend and it is extremely helpful.

An absolute must is buying a couple spare locks, I didn't and probably spent an hour with a pen magnet probing around to find a few we dropped.
locks? whats that
Old 01-22-2007, 05:39 PM
TECH Regular

valve locks... when you compress the springs there are lock sthat hol dthe spring to the valve
Old 01-22-2007, 06:12 PM
TECH Resident

A couple of extra valve locks are cheap insurance. I got all the way to the last valve and lost ONE lock.

Had to put everything on hold for about an hour while I BACK to the dealership (thats the only place that I could find them) I had just visited that morning.

I used LS1howto as well and highly recommend it. Good luck on your install.

R/

Frat
Old 01-22-2007, 08:41 PM
11 Second Club

In addition to the locks, I would also suggest picking up a box of bandaids.
Old 01-22-2007, 08:55 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by CASHss99
valve locks... when you compress the springs there are lock sthat hol dthe spring to the valve
i guess its good i bought assembled heads then
Old 01-23-2007, 11:04 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Mr Ed
In addition to the locks, I would also suggest picking up a box of bandaids.
LOL
Old 01-23-2007, 03:41 PM
TECH Enthusiast

ls1howto.com is the best
Old 01-23-2007, 06:02 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Do not forget about the stickies in the internal engine section at the top of this page. That info and the ls1howto.com are all you need to know... if you get stuck just come on here and ask for help you will get all the help you can stand..
Old 01-23-2007, 06:36 PM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

It really is an easy job to do yourself as long as you can turn a wrench.

Take out the radiator and waterpump and your there. Get a decent pulley remover, I rented mine from a local rental place. Pop off the crank pulley and you have the timing cover and thats it. If your changing the oil pump you have a little more work ahead of you and you should read that section carefully. It can be a little tricky putting the pickup tube bolt back in.

I rent out the specialty tools thru the mail as well. You'll need to hold the lifters out of the way when you swap the cam. You use either 16 pen magnets, wooden dowels or buy the rods that I have already bought and rent out.
Then you'll need to hold the valves up when you change valve springs. I have the air fittings if you decide to use compressed air. I also have the Crane dual spring tool for changing the valve springs. It is the best tool on the planet for the job. It is made for the ls1/lt1 head. It will cut your time in half at least.

If you have any questions post up.
Old 01-24-2007, 03:08 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by 99blancoSS
It really is an easy job to do yourself as long as you can turn a wrench.

Take out the radiator and waterpump and your there. Get a decent pulley remover, I rented mine from a local rental place. Pop off the crank pulley and you have the timing cover and thats it. If your changing the oil pump you have a little more work ahead of you and you should read that section carefully. It can be a little tricky putting the pickup tube bolt back in.

I rent out the specialty tools thru the mail as well. You'll need to hold the lifters out of the way when you swap the cam. You use either 16 pen magnets, wooden dowels or buy the rods that I have already bought and rent out.
Then you'll need to hold the valves up when you change valve springs. I have the air fittings if you decide to use compressed air. I also have the Crane dual spring tool for changing the valve springs. It is the best tool on the planet for the job. It is made for the ls1/lt1 head. It will cut your time in half at least.

If you have any questions post up.
you forgot the air lid!!!!!!!you have to remove that also... lol no you said it great
Old 01-24-2007, 03:25 PM
TECH Apprentice

thanks again guys, when i start i will most likely be asking you guys for more help. I'm sure Your recomendations will def come in handy. Also. If i need those tools , i know who to see.
Old 01-24-2007, 04:31 PM
11 Second Club

You should definitely rent, borrow or buy as set of the rods to hold up the lifters. The shop that I purchased my cam from lent me their set of rods for the weekend. I seem to recall they are about $89 to purchase. I recommend you get a price quote to rent from 99blancoSS.

Then you'll need to hold the valves up when you change valve springs. I have the air fittings if you decide to use compressed air.
If you don’t have an air compressor, the Top Dead Center method (Option 2 on ls1howto.com) works fine. Use a plastic straw to double check that the piston is all of the way up before you remove the locks.