Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Catch Can Oil: What Color is Yours ???

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2007, 12:38 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Catch Can Oil: What Color is Yours ???

I usually get nice black thick oil in my AMW catch can. The can is in the valley cover to intake manifold line.

But when experimenting with different catch can/filtration setups in the valve cover (fresh air line) the oil will become a brown soupy mix.

Can someone explain how the oil gets brown and soupy and what the implications are?????

DH
Old 01-29-2007, 12:46 PM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I get the brown/soupy stuff in my AMW as well...I usually just pour it into whatever I'm cooking for dinner that night and don't worry about it anymore. Adds some flavor, and keeps the food from sticking to the pan.
Old 01-29-2007, 01:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

It's water plus exhaust residue, I had the same thing with my previous setup. Lots of water vapor gets created when the engine's cold.
Old 01-29-2007, 04:07 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by MeentSS02
I get the brown/soupy stuff in my AMW as well...I usually just pour it into whatever I'm cooking for dinner that night and don't worry about it anymore. Adds some flavor, and keeps the food from sticking to the pan.
So you are saying it is sucking the **** out of the crank......
Is there a PID for **** in HPTuner ......

Seriously, It is normally black. But I put some coalescing filter on the fresh air line and now I got brown instead of black. I am concerned that if this filter is blocked that no fresh air is getting thru to the engine and therefore the PCV line is pulling moisture from somewhere that it didn't before.

Have you always gotten brown soup?? What is your intake/pcv/valve cover setup????

DH
Old 01-29-2007, 05:21 PM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

Originally Posted by dirty howie
So you are saying it is sucking the **** out of the crank......
Is there a PID for **** in HPTuner ......

Seriously, It is normally black. But I put some coalescing filter on the fresh air line and now I got brown instead of black. I am concerned that if this filter is blocked that no fresh air is getting thru to the engine and therefore the PCV line is pulling moisture from somewhere that it didn't before.

Have you always gotten brown soup?? What is your intake/pcv/valve cover setup????

DH
Stock LS6 intake
Stock Valve Covers
PCV: LS6 Valley cover + PCV Valve + AMW Catch can (goes from there back into the manifold
No fresh air line - I run a breather on my oil filler cap.

It has always been that way...I'm guessing it is normal. Seems like running under high vacuum (heavy decel) gets you more of it...I've never gotten enough to concern me (no more than 1 tablespoon per oil change interval - 5000 miles).
Old 01-29-2007, 06:21 PM
On The Tree

No fresh air line - I run a breather on my oil filler cap.
I guess you don't have issues with unmetered air that you can not deal take care of with HPT...??

It has always been that way...I'm guessing it is normal. Seems like running under high vacuum (heavy decel) gets you more of it...I've never gotten enough to concern me (no more than 1 tablespoon per oil change interval - 5000 miles).
I don't think you are driving it hard enough

DH
Old 01-29-2007, 07:56 PM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

I guess you don't have issues with unmetered air that you can not deal take care of with HPT...??

I don't think you are driving it hard enough

DH
Guilty on both charges...never had an issue with unmetered air, and I most certainly don't drive it hard enough Once I get another vehicle, I'll remedy the second one
Old 01-30-2007, 05:15 PM
On The Tree

Anybody else get brown soup instead of black oil

DH
Old 01-30-2007, 05:31 PM
TECH Fanatic

I do, I have a clear one, it is a filter for an air compressor.
I don't think that it is a problem. Just vapor getting mixed with it.
Old 01-31-2007, 07:19 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I get the brown soupy mix in my set-up, usually I'll drain mine about once a month and it's almost always half full. It's a Detroit Diesel Fuel/Water seperator which is mounted on the inside of the bumper cover with the drain petcock facing the trap door on the passenger side inner fender. Works great, does suck alot of oil into the filter though.
Old 01-31-2007, 08:54 AM
10 Second Club

Anybody else get brown soup instead of black oil

DH

It's water vapors and oil mixxing.
Old 02-03-2007, 01:57 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Thats interesting because I get milky stuff also in my Home Depot/ husky dual filter seperator setup. I noticed it one night AFTER driving on the highway for 20 miles!! I decided to start the experiments from a new and watched the seperators when I started it up and yup, there was the milky stuff. Okay, running it cold, there is condensation/water in the engine. Next I went out to the car 2 days after letting it sit from driving, pulled the oil cap off and there was clear condensation on the underside of the cap also, a fair amount???? None that I could see on the oil tube filler walls though, it was all on the bottom of the cap. Where is all that condensation coming from? I have a new jasper engine so I hope that is not oging bye bye, but, 3 years 70k miles........ Who really cares, I guess, lol. Strange thing is, it still does not explaine why my shiznit was milky after a 20 mile run.

Another thing that has me concerned is that both seperators have the same amount of oil in them, so, I wonder if it is STILL keeping anything out? Soon as it warms up around here i will do some more testing, brrrrrrr!! Do we need to plug the line a little somewhere to maybe slow down the CFM suction, just a weee bit? I am sure if oil is making it into the second seperator, its also leaving it too.

Last edited by csmc711; 02-03-2007 at 02:04 AM.
Old 02-03-2007, 08:42 PM
10 Second Club

Im running a greddy catch can hooked up to the intake port and the stock pcv line with a pcv valve. Mine is very milky. Has anyone found oil still in the intake when running a catch can? I have my intake off and its bad. I never cleaned it after the catch can install about 1k ago. Could this be old oil?
Old 02-03-2007, 08:44 PM
TECH Enthusiast

If it is "bad", then I would say its new oil. I would think that after 1k miles, most of the "old" oil would be sucked off the walls and through the engine by then.
Old 02-03-2007, 09:44 PM
10 Second Club

I did get about 4oz of oil in the catch can after 1k. I couldnt imagine it using more. The oil was very black that was in the intake. Ill have to look into a different one.
Old 02-03-2007, 10:06 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I dont have but around 300 miles on mine and the duel little Husky seperators are about full to the bottom of the stone filter thingy........WTF?????

Quick Reply: Catch Can Oil: What Color is Yours ???