Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Who are the top 5 LSX cylinder head porters in the country?

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2008, 08:12 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Redlinez
Does S.A.M. do heads for the public? I couldn't find anything about it on their site. Craig Gallant goes stupid way back. Found his website just typing in GTP Performance. I remember when he was one of the first with a 500 hp LT1.
No sir. We only do our own work and R&D

Greg Good, Harold @ Port Pro's, Trevor Johnson, A Few at Raymac's in Dallas, etc. are some of the best out there.

You people have to understand though, most of these people can port anything. Knowing one port style would make them more limited than a guy who works on multiple cylinder head styles.

There are many other bad *** people that work for bigger companies but they would not do very much work in the LSX world as their other jobs require a ton of time.
Old 02-12-2008, 12:19 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by 1320 killer
richard at west coast racing heads sits a little under the radar but has done an awesome job for me and alot of others I know.
Richard and Dave at West Coast Cylinder Heads are doing a set of Edelbrock based heads for me. I went to their shop and they were kind enough to spend almost an hour showing me their setup and how they do things. Very knowledgeable guys.
Old 02-12-2008, 12:41 PM
JS
10 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I can give u a guys initals but u need to contact Bret Bauer for the guys name
The guys intials are J.M.

He's one of the best....
Old 09-03-2008, 08:46 AM
Banned

I had a set of GTP stage II's back in 01 and w/ a small cam (226/226) they made 440rwhp through a 6 spd, that was a big number back then for a H/C 346 car. Also had "Lump" fix and finish a set of heads for me that made big power.
Old 09-03-2008, 11:55 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by DeerHunter_Z28
I had a set of GTP stage II's back in 01 and w/ a small cam (226/226) they made 440rwhp through a 6 spd, that was a big number back then for a H/C 346 car. Also had "Lump" fix and finish a set of heads for me that made big power.
You can never go wrong with good Lump stuff. Time was an issue and then other "things" happened as most of us local guys know while he was still at Naisers. (Before he left to do his own thing.) Definitely one heck of a cylinder head porter.

Originally Posted by JS
I can give u a guys initals but u need to contact Bret Bauer for the guys name
The guys intials are J.M.

He's one of the best....
Let me add (since this is an older thread)

RIP Joe Mendelis. Definitely lost a great guy and had the pleasure to discuss many things with this man at multiple PRI's, etc.
Old 09-03-2008, 07:45 PM
KCS

Received 314 Likes on 212 Posts

Default R.I.P Mendelis

Originally Posted by BigBronco
You can never go wrong with good Lump stuff. Time was an issue and then other "things" happened as most of us local guys know while he was still at Naisers. (Before he left to do his own thing.) Definitely one heck of a cylinder head porter.

Let me add (since this is an older thread)

RIP Joe Mendelis. Definitely lost a great guy and had the pleasure to discuss many things with this man at multiple PRI's, etc.
I thought he was about to say Mondello, LOL.
Old 09-03-2008, 08:39 PM
10 Second Club

I know this is an old thread but im going to have JW cylinder heads do my heads. It is one guy John Walden and he designs heads for Navistar now but still does them on the side. He has done many many heads including c5r heads, and even duramax heads. He lives in Chicago now but travels back home here near cincy to do side work.
Old 09-04-2008, 12:09 AM
FormerVendor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by blue99fbody
I know this is an old thread but im going to have JW cylinder heads do my heads. It is one guy John Walden and he designs heads for Navistar now but still does them on the side. He has done many many heads including c5r heads, and even duramax heads. He lives in Chicago now but travels back home here near cincy to do side work.
Is this the same John Walden that worked at Steve Schmidt? I wondered where he went? (If it's the same guy)
Old 09-04-2008, 08:50 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by KCS
I thought he was about to say Mondello, LOL.
I saw no Mention of Olds heads ANYWHERE in site Kent. LOL
Old 09-04-2008, 09:18 AM
Launching!

Anyone have Chapman Racing do work on their (ls1) heads?
Old 05-30-2009, 07:35 PM
TECH Addict

Received 112 Likes on 87 Posts

Craig Gallant is awesome with both LT/SBC and LS heads, a rarity. Greg Good has to be top end in anyone's book, as does Brian Tooley. I am familiar with all these guys' work and it flat makes power. Some things aren't so easy to measure on a bench. I gotta think guys like Craig shaped AFR's direction and really emphasized velocity vs CFM. This list changes when you're talking certain heads. When you're talking truly gifted guys with multiple castings, the list gets short.
Old 05-31-2009, 09:50 AM
On The Tree

what does a cnc port and combustion chamber cost?
Old 05-31-2009, 01:34 PM
10 Second Club

I can't believe nobody has mentioned Pete Incaudo, currently owner of V-Max Motorsports in FL and formerly of CNC cylinder heads, also in FL. He has been working on LS heads since day 1 and has a stellar reputation. I wouldn't even consider anyone else. He did the hand porting and finishing on my AFR 225's for my current build and also ported my Fast 90 and TB and helped me spec out the right cam for my build. Car runs perfectly and is making great power throughout the power band.

Jimbo
Old 06-29-2009, 10:50 PM
On The Tree

LLoyd elliot and advanced inductions are great for LT1 ,and LSx heads
Old 12-15-2009, 12:12 AM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

tea, ai, cartek, tony mamo
Old 12-15-2009, 12:49 PM
TECH Regular

TEA is conveniently only 15 minutes from my house and I plan on picking up a set of 5.3's from them this spring!
Old 05-03-2010, 11:36 PM
Staging Lane

Default lsx porter

Bret Bowers Racing engine design in fort collins colorado has my vote.
Old 05-07-2010, 11:00 AM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You guys think TEA has the best CNC'd 5.3 castings?
Old 02-17-2013, 11:20 AM
FormerVendor

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Brian Tooley
Let me try,

Paris Pugliese (formerly of TEA and SAM, now at RayMac, TFS heads, LS6 heads, etc.)
Casey Schnieder at Sam (LS6 heads)
Tony Darnell of TEA (5.3 heads)
Brian Self aka "Lump" (never seen an LS1 head from him, other stuff is killer)
Joe Prince (best 241 head I've seen...believe it or not)
Craig Gallant (SAM,GTP, only heard rumors)

I didn't make my own top 5, truth is most of the LS stuff we have was done by Paris or Tony, I will take credit for the digitizing and CNC programming though

I have seen some stuff from some of the other top guys mentioned, it wasn't very good on our bench.

The ABSOLUTE truth in hand porting ANYTHING once your are a "good porter", is LOTS of experience with THE head you are working on, irregardless of how successful you have been with other heads. At TEA each person tends to have a "specailty" and I did mostly Ford heads. So the bottom line is find someone who has the best flow numbers through the entire intake flow curve, and get them to do your heads. The beauty of the CNC is you can work on one port for days, weeks or even months and then the CNC lets you exactly duplicate after that.
I know this is older than dirt post, but this post is awesome Brian.

At Tick, we all have our specialties and we all do them well. I don't try to assemble engines or build transmissions, that's Jonathan's job that he has been perfecting for over 10 years, and that experience is hard to replicate. I spec the cams, spec the N/A and F/I builds and handle all the customer service and techincal questions because I love interacting with people. Matt does all of our blower installs, cam installs and nitrous installs because he can knock them out in very little time with very high quality. List could go on for days.

Bottom line is don't try and do something that you know you might not do well in. DON'T BE AFRAID TO ASK FOR HELP!!! I see professionals and amateurs struggle time and time again because they are too damn stubborn or have too much pride to ask someone who has the wisdom they need.

Just thought I'd put my two cents in, and I am no Brian Tooley, but I hope I can be looked at one day in the same regards as you Brian.
Old 02-17-2013, 01:18 PM
The Scammer Hammer

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

I'd have to put Ed Curtis up there as well. Guy is great with old Ford and Chevy, as well as the LSX stuff.

Quick Reply: Who are the top 5 LSX cylinder head porters in the country?