Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Who are the top 5 LSX cylinder head porters in the country?

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2013, 02:41 PM
FormerVendor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Martin@Tick
Just thought I'd put my two cents in, and I am no Brian Tooley, but I hope I can be looked at one day in the same regards as you Brian.
Thanks for the kind words Martin, but all I do now is put parts in a box! There are many guys in the LS community far more talented than myself.

You have the right attitude Martin, in the fact that you're not afraid to call someone and ask the question. You won't always have a resource who can tell you the answer, which is when you get out in the shop and do the testing. Or be lucky enough to have others you can work with who will do some testing with you.

The key to success in this business is just like any other, work ethic. I'm too old to work 12 hour days 6 days a week like I once did. I'm not sure what the future holds for the LS community, but I'm very happy to be fulfilling the small part that I do.

Keep up the good work, keep a positive attitude, and don't let others beat you down. You're not better than anyone else, but no one is better than you either.
Old 02-17-2013, 02:46 PM
FormerVendor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by dr_whigham
I'd have to put Ed Curtis up there as well. Guy is great with old Ford and Chevy, as well as the LSX stuff.
I didn't know Ed did much head porting? I thought he mostly bought CNC'd heads and tweaked them up a bit?

I would definitely consider him a top 5 cam guy though, maybe even top 2, the guy has a lot of experience.
Old 02-17-2013, 02:52 PM
The Scammer Hammer

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

He's been doing a bunch of porting here as of late that I can see, as I get his updates from Facebook. He's been after my Kriss Vector I got and I have to keep shoo'ing him away, LOL.

But yeah, just to throw my two cents in the ring here, Brian, the amount of time and effort you spent with me, talking history and LOGIC, and giving me a few tricks of the trade that helped me IMMENSELY is just nothing short of incredible, and speaks volumes about your passion for the game. It wasn't just a sale to you, and I for one appreciate that more than anything.
Old 02-18-2013, 07:28 AM
FormerVendor

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Brian Tooley
Thanks for the kind words Martin, but all I do now is put parts in a box! There are many guys in the LS community far more talented than myself.

You have the right attitude Martin, in the fact that you're not afraid to call someone and ask the question. You won't always have a resource who can tell you the answer, which is when you get out in the shop and do the testing. Or be lucky enough to have others you can work with who will do some testing with you.

The key to success in this business is just like any other, work ethic. I'm too old to work 12 hour days 6 days a week like I once did. I'm not sure what the future holds for the LS community, but I'm very happy to be fulfilling the small part that I do.

Keep up the good work, keep a positive attitude, and don't let others beat you down. You're not better than anyone else, but no one is better than you either.
Thanks Brian, but again whether you know it or not, you're highly regarded by a lot of people.
Old 08-25-2013, 09:38 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What about elliot works? I know the lt guys praise his work!
Old 01-03-2016, 10:29 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Anyone know where can i get a hold of shandy price?
Old 07-04-2017, 12:59 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sorry for digging this old post up but is there an updated list of quality porters?
Old 07-04-2017, 02:09 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3,078 Likes on 2,397 Posts

TSP, TEA, Mamo, Frankenstein, Lingenfelter, for a start....
Old 07-04-2017, 05:40 PM
10 Second Club

Received 153 Likes on 105 Posts

Chad speers and Darin Morgan
Old 07-06-2017, 03:04 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1,443 Likes on 1,001 Posts

I was going to add Darin Morgan as well!

Brett Land formerly of Katech and now Land-Speed should get at least an honorable mention.

Likewise, TEA and Brian Tooley make my list and deserve at least honorable mention.

I would like to know if Jay of Absolute Speed is doing heads somewhere. He was outstanding with the early LS castings.

Joe the Shady Prince of Darkness - Top 5 LS head porters? Never. Top 5 LS automotive smoke & mirror guys - YES. It would be interesting to hear what he's up to these days. I had a set of JPR LS6 heads that he "ported" He even confirmed they were his heads. They had his "special" hand finished intake port. My friends that worked in Nascar, insisted on checking my JPR LS6 heads. Stock cc intake port, stock cc chambers, stock cc exhaust port, and exactly stock flow numbers intake and exhaust. JSPD himself promised me a free JPR All-Bore sleeved block if the details about the heads could just be forgotten. Free JPR sleeved block if I would just send those stock JPR heads back to him. While JSPD really made that sound tempting, I sent those Virgin JPR LS6 heads to TEA The heads eventually ended up on my 91RS Camaro's LS1 383. That JRP fiasco was like 15 years ago but I still chuckle when I think of JPR and the Prince of Darkness.
​​
I will give JSPD credit for being one of the first, maybe even the first to use stock 243 heads with a spring upgrade and a 231/236 cam " to turn that intake port " and make good power.

Last edited by 99 Black Bird T/A; 07-06-2017 at 03:11 PM.
Old 07-06-2017, 04:27 PM
10 Second Club

Received 153 Likes on 105 Posts

Darin doesn't have a big internet presence but he really knows his stuff. Profiler castings are his design. Have a set of his 195's for an SBC. The they flow very good out of the box, as cast. But have the meat to be ported to pretty much whatever you want. A real hotrodders casting. Read somewhere you can port a 195 out to a 250cc if you want to

Quick Reply: Who are the top 5 LSX cylinder head porters in the country?