STS Turbo
20.25%
Voters: 158. You may not vote on this poll

H/C or STS

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2007, 04:03 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

+1 on what Eirk said...all very good points. I too like FI and one day would like to build a serious motor for it. I used to have a Lightning with full bolt ons and I loved the blower. I just got my H/C set up put on recently and I too was trying to decide what I wanted to do for several months then I finally bought (saved money) what I wanted and I love my set up. Im not tuned yet so there is more in the car and it will run better but I really love the new power. You were also asking about the MS3...I love mine. I do have a beater so my car is not my DD, but its no worse as a DD then when I did DD my car with the G5X1 cam I used to have. There are ton of people using the MS3 as a DD. Just decide what you think you will like the most and get it. I have no regrets.

ps - I too have spray on my car but I really dont plan to use it that much. I actually havent even sprayed on it yet since I need to put my 255 pump in plus tune, but its gonna be a freakin rocket when I do. I know I will be hitting high 500 numbers on just a 100 shot.
Old 02-16-2007, 05:21 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I like FI...just dont have the funds for it right now
Old 02-16-2007, 06:46 PM

STS is not the best turbo kit, but hard to beat for the price. the turbo will make more power and better down low. I voted STS. And I have a cammed car and am getting heads now. I wish I saw the old phamspeed kits before I bought my headers.
Old 02-16-2007, 07:09 PM
TECH Apprentice

Its a **** show really coming from my opinion...

I've seen some ***** h/c cars, and ive seen some intense turboed cars...but maybe its just me but I see all the major turbo cars owning a **** load more....idk, I like the sound of a BOV on a v8, however there's nothing better than opening a cutout from your Y pipe with your H/C package with longtubes...thats a sound that makes babies cry.

****, I'd flip a coin.

However I think on the 93-97 fbods they have only the rear mount right? where the air filter is in the back...so if you hit a puddle your fucked, and I thought the rear mounts had a theft problem? Can anyone shed some light on this?

Me? I'm doing H/C with my LT1...However my theme is retro with my bird, no flashy **** with her, I'm doing it by the book of the old school birdies I plan on a Custom grind thats better than a cc306 (I know there has to be a whole **** ton of cams that put out better numbers and are just better in GENERAL)...but also, I just like working with my engine and getting all up in there Rather than just slapping a turbo on it and calling it a day...I think there's a certain point you get too with cars where you have the gratification of modding / fixing your car, knowing that baby's pushing more because you busted your *** and knuckles working on her. To me, thats owning a car. Im not saying installing a turbo is easy, or you cant do a custom turbo cam down the line...I'm just all about n/a!
Old 02-16-2007, 07:15 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by erikthegoalie
PS- if you are going to finance a PENNY on mods, do youre homework, set a budget, have a job making a flow of cash, do not screw it up....
Many people finance parts, its a part of life. If you are lucky enough NOT to have to then dont by all means, but if you do, then do it responsibly.

I put some parts on a 12 month 0% interest card. I DID NOT max it out though. I ONLY put on it what I knew I could pay off in HALF of those 12 months...that way I have 6 month cushion just in case!

Good luck

*edit* I would NEVER finance an STS kit for 26% or whatever it is...thats REDIC

Words of wisdom!!...seriously. I'm in the financial planning world and one of the worst things you can do is carry a balance on a credit card...especially one that you pay interest on.

I went STS b/c of the "ease" of install...I say this now after 9 weeks of working on the car . Life has truly sucked these past couple of months...but Tuesday will ALL make up for it . I'm getting her tuned and it should be a glorious end to this ordeal!
Old 02-17-2007, 07:19 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by pdanrichey
Words of wisdom!!...seriously. I'm in the financial planning world and one of the worst things you can do is carry a balance on a credit card...especially one that you pay interest on.

I went STS b/c of the "ease" of install...I say this now after 9 weeks of working on the car . Life has truly sucked these past couple of months...but Tuesday will ALL make up for it . I'm getting her tuned and it should be a glorious end to this ordeal!

I am glad that someone in that field agrees!
There is NO reason in the world to burden yourself like that...for what you know? BE SMART, that way you can enjoy yourself even if you have a little debt you know?

PS- DONT MISS A PAYMENT on those 0% cards....you miss a payment and they not only add interest from then on, but they also add all of the interest you should have paid since the card was opened and charges were made!

If you have trouble rememebering to pay, there are many methods offered by card companies such as cell phone reminder, text reminders, email reminders etcetc....some also offer a few days forgiveness as long as you call and tell them the situation!

Later guys, happy modding!
Old 02-17-2007, 11:48 AM
TECH Fanatic

Definately H/C...Once you have a good top end setup..other mods such as boost or nitrous will add far more power than they would on a stocker.
Old 02-12-2008, 02:57 PM
11 Second Club

I would go H/C and the giggle juice FTW!
Old 02-12-2008, 05:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

I really dont like the STS...I would sooner get an underhood turbo than run an intake pipe all the way forward...plus the HC swap is half the price.More money for other mods.
Old 02-12-2008, 06:27 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I like the STS kits and i met a guy that had a sts and he was damn fast. BUT i personally would go h/c because of the price and that great sound. Adding spray on top of h/c will make for a deadly combo. Right now i have bolt ons and spray with a cam install coming this weekend. I cant even imagine how fast a h/c and spray car would be
Old 02-13-2008, 12:03 AM
TECH Apprentice

wow, year old thread....great.
Old 02-13-2008, 12:07 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by rsodeputy61
wow, year old thread....great.

I didn't even notice that!
Old 02-13-2008, 12:14 AM
10 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

H/C for sure. There are plenty of horror stories on the STS kits, and if you DD it, putting a cover over the filter to protect it from the rain, while its raining, isn't practical. Most of the STS setups don't make the power they advertise, and with that much piping, regardless of what they say, there will be a substantial amount of lag. H/C are VERY streetable in an M6. I have a nice setup and its in an A4 and I drive it everyday with ZERO issues. I could spray a 150 on top of this and hit 600 RWHP w/out cylinder pressure through the roof. If you want to go FI, go Vortech/ProCharger/APS.

EDIT: Didn't notice how old the thread was!
Old 02-13-2008, 01:11 AM
TECH Apprentice

lol, i was about to post my opinion until ppl said it's a year old, lol. Who brought it back to life??
Old 02-14-2008, 09:23 AM
TECH Enthusiast

^ Well I didn't get to post my opinion the first time so I will now. I would take the STS all day everyday. 1 reason is driveability. Usually to make a bunch of power N/A your running some big rex or magic stick cam and driveability suffers. A turbo cam is usually small and has no overlap. 2 reason is power the STS has more power potential. Sure you can make close to 500hp with H/C just like the STS, look at the torque difference. The STS is going to make way more torque and be way more driveable and fun for that matter. And because I know some have and are going to bring up nitrous IMO that **** is a joke. If you live on the dragstrip that's one thing but for a street car it just doesn't fit the bill.
Old 02-14-2008, 09:56 AM
TECH Senior Member

if i were to go FI definitely procharger!! i just love seeing a badass fbody with a procharger. but for the price its hard to beat a H/C/spray.
Old 02-15-2008, 10:18 AM
11 Second Club

Haha back from the dead. I would imagine he ended up going H/C.