Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anybody have ported AFR 205's?

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2007, 07:28 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anybody have ported AFR 205's?

I was wondering if anybody has ported AFR 205's? I was thinking about porting my FAST 90/90 and my AFR 205's, but I was told there was not any room for porting on the AFR's. Any answers would be great.....Thanks!
Old 02-14-2007, 08:20 AM
FormerVendor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

We have ported some of the AFR 205's, but on a 3.90" bore the heads are hard to improve upon. If you have a 4.00" bore then there are some things that you can do to make them better. Have you contacted Tony Mamo to get his opinion?
Old 02-14-2007, 08:28 AM
Staging Lane

Nice Heads
Old 02-14-2007, 08:52 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Brian Tooley
We have ported some of the AFR 205's, but on a 3.90" bore the heads are hard to improve upon. If you have a 4.00" bore then there are some things that you can do to make them better. Have you contacted Tony Mamo to get his opinion?
Haven't contacted Tony yet. I was waiting to see if anybody on here has ported there's with the stock bottom end. Thanks for the information.
Old 02-14-2007, 09:44 AM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Why are you wanting to port?
I am going to assume with your lack of time here and posts you also have a lack of knowledge for the LS1. I don't mean that in a rude way, just for me to make a good post for you I have to assume you know less then many of the more experienced members.
With that being said. AFR created a head that really dosen't need any additional porting for 95+% of the guys out there. Keeping the ports small was a main focus when they strated blueprinting their new head design.
Additional porting can cost good money and can do anything from hurting the performance of the head to helping it slightly. (NON FI setups)
For the majority of people that want a bad *** H/C package the head dosen't need to be touched except by the person installing the head.
Personially I would save the money on the porting and spend it on having someone flycut your stock pistons. That way you can get the cam you want in the car and get your compression up over 11:1 so you can really make some power.
The first thing I will suggest though is that you call Tony at AFR and talk to him about the product. He knows his product very well, and is straight forward. He will guild you in the right direction.
Old 02-14-2007, 10:01 AM
LS1 Tech Administrator

Received 32 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by JZ'sTA
I am going to assume with your lack of time here and posts you also have a lack of knowledge for the LS1. I don't mean that in a rude way, just for me to make a good post for you I have to assume you know less then many of the more experienced members.
With that being said. AFR created a head that really dosen't need any additional porting for 95+% of the guys out there. Keeping the ports small was a main focus when they strated blueprinting their new head design.
Additional porting can cost good money and can do anything from hurting the performance of the head to helping it slightly. (NON FI setups)
For the majority of people that want a bad *** H/C package the head dosen't need to be touched except by the person installing the head.
Personially I would save the money on the porting and spend it on having someone flycut your stock pistons. That way you can get the cam you want in the car and get your compression up over 11:1 so you can really make some power.
The first thing I will suggest though is that you call Tony at AFR and talk to him about the product. He knows his product very well, and is straight forward. He will guild you in the right direction.
Couldn't have said it better myself.

2013 Corvette Grand Sport A6 LME forged 416, Greg Good ported TFS 255 LS3 heads, 222/242 .629"/.604" 121LSA Pat G blower cam, ARH 1 7/8" headers, ESC Novi 1500 Supercharger w/8 rib direct drive conversion, 747rwhp/709rwtq on 93 octane, 801rwhp/735rwtq on race fuel, 10.1 @ 147.25mph 1/4 mile, 174.7mph Half Mile.
2016 Corvette Z51 M7 Magnuson Heartbeat 2300 supercharger, TSP LT headers, Pat G tuned, 667rwhp, 662rwtq, 191mph TX Mile.
2009.5 Pontiac G8 GT 6.0L, A6, AFR 230v2 heads. 506rwhp/442rwtq. 11.413 @ 121.29mph 1/4 mile, 168.7mph TX Mile
2000 Pewter Ram Air Trans Am M6 heads/cam 508 rwhp/445 rwtq SAE, 183.092 TX Mile
2022 Cadillac Escalade 6.2L A10 S&B CAI, Corsa catback.
2023 Corvette 3LT Z51 soon to be modified.
Custom LSX tuning in person or via email press here.

Old 02-14-2007, 10:04 AM
TECH Apprentice

First off I'm not a internet warrior ( hints the fact I do have a life ) like you probably are. I do know my **** on LS1's. Just because I don't post up 3000+ times doesn't mean you know more than anybody else. Second off all I was wanting was some info and to see if anybody has ported them before. If it is not a good idea then fine. If was a good idea then fine too. In other words I was just curious, because I see alot more power coming from guy's with less parts than I have. Sure my car runs good, but if there could be more in it I would like to know. I figured I would start off asking about the heads first, but you seem to want to get into a pissing match about who knows more because of post. I'm here to learn something that I don't know, not to see how many f**king post one has.
Old 02-14-2007, 12:15 PM
Flow Wizard

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Leave the heads alone and cut JZ some slack.....LOL

I think he was more referring to the fact you signed on in November a few months ago.

His advice was solid....additional monies are better spent elsewhere....headers, FAST intake, better throttle body, etc., etc.

The 205 design is highly optimized right out of the box and big power, torque, and a broad useful powerband can be had with them assuming the right combination of parts are complimented by the right tune on the chassis dyno.

Good luck....feel free to contact me directly if your questioning a particular combination or package.

Regards,
Tony
Old 02-14-2007, 12:40 PM
TECH Regular

Question

What about Thunder Racing?

They do hand-finishing/blending for $500 and full race porting for $900 atop of $2300 for AFR 205's.

So Tony are you saying those two options aren't useful?

And I wonder what a full race port from Thunder means, increase the intake runners (205cc to 2??cc) I guess?
Old 02-14-2007, 12:55 PM
TECH Apprentice

I thought SLP also offers a ported version of AFR heads?
Old 02-14-2007, 12:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

I think one of the things that Thunder does is smooths out the exhaust port.
Old 02-14-2007, 01:11 PM
Flow Wizard

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Cobraeater
What about Thunder Racing?

They do hand-finishing/blending for $500 and full race porting for $900 atop of $2300 for AFR 205's.

So Tony are you saying those two options aren't useful?

And I wonder what a full race port from Thunder means, increase the intake runners (205cc to 2??cc) I guess?
I'm saying the AFR heads are an optimized piece right out of the box designed exactly the way we feel they will provide the best results. They are 205 cc's because that represents the size we felt was best for most any 346 CID street/strip builds. Whether they have been used with milder combo's (224 ish cams) or "wilder" combo's (230's-240's) they make great power and good torque time and time again. As a general rule of thumb I feel any money spent "porting" them would net you minimal gains and could potentially be counterproductive.

I dont have any experience with what Thunder is offering and therefore can't comment on how effective the work they offer is. I think most of the AFR heads Thunder sells are out of the box the way they are delivered from AFR but even that statement is speculative on my part. I would also mention that Thunder is a solid reputable company and we have a good relationship with them.

Again however, I fall back on my original advice knowing most of the big results guys have posted on the Internet have been with our out of the box cylinder heads, and I have seen a couple of not so great results with some modified AFR cylinder heads....you do the math.

Tony M.
Old 02-14-2007, 02:02 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by 2 fast 2000
First off I'm not a internet warrior ( hints the fact I do have a life ) like you probably are. I do know my **** on LS1's. Just because I don't post up 3000+ times doesn't mean you know more than anybody else. Second off all I was wanting was some info and to see if anybody has ported them before. If it is not a good idea then fine. If was a good idea then fine too. In other words I was just curious, because I see alot more power coming from guy's with less parts than I have. Sure my car runs good, but if there could be more in it I would like to know. I figured I would start off asking about the heads first, but you seem to want to get into a pissing match about who knows more because of post. I'm here to learn something that I don't know, not to see how many f**king post one has.

You took me completely wrong. Now I am going to assume by your lack of respect and the way your acted that your a younger person.
Again just a guess.
I do know more then you about LS1's and that is the reason I was able to answer your question that you asked.
No pissing match I have been here for a while and have many posts but there are plenty of people with fewer post then myself that know more then I do.
Those people however know that porting the 205 isn't the best idea.
You have been on this site for only a couple months and that is what I was referring to not your post count BTW.
Cool down and realize that we are all here to help eachother.
I give advice as often as I can and try to help share my knowledge with other members because this site has helped me learn quite a bit.
Porting the AFR's was a big debate a couple years ago when they were first geting into the market. People were used to seeing 320+ CFM LS6 heads and wanted 320+ out of the AFR's. Quickly people started realizeing the benifits of the 205's weren't simply good flow numbers.
Please realize I was in no way trying to insult you or be rude. My comments were based on the fact that if you had been here a long time you would have read many of the thread similar to yours.
Good luck in geting the power you expect and wish out of your car.
Old 02-14-2007, 03:12 PM
TECH Apprentice

You took me completely wrong. Now I am going to assume by your lack of respect and the way your acted that your a younger person.
Again just a guess.
I do know more then you about LS1's and that is the reason I was able to answer your question that you asked.
No pissing match I have been here for a while and have many posts but there are plenty of people with fewer post then myself that know more then I do.
Those people however know that porting the 205 isn't the best idea.
You have been on this site for only a couple months and that is what I was referring to not your post count BTW.
Cool down and realize that we are all here to help eachother.
I give advice as often as I can and try to help share my knowledge with other members because this site has helped me learn quite a bit.
Porting the AFR's was a big debate a couple years ago when they were first geting into the market. People were used to seeing 320+ CFM LS6 heads and wanted 320+ out of the AFR's. Quickly people started realizeing the benifits of the 205's weren't simply good flow numbers.
Please realize I was in no way trying to insult you or be rude. My comments were based on the fact that if you had been here a long time you would have read many of the thread similar to yours.
Good luck in geting the power you expect and wish out of your car.
That's cool, but the way you came off was insulting. Just like the way you came off again in this post. I had a simple question about the heads and all you had to do was answer it for me. Not **** talk the fact that I haven't been on here as long as you. I'm not going to argue anymore, so take it how you want.
Old 02-14-2007, 03:59 PM
Banned

Your welcome for answering your question.
Old 02-14-2007, 10:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

Your welcome for answering your question.
Kids kids...LOL I think your both acting like youngsters. The AFR 205 is a great head but if you really want to make more power your probley beter off selling your 205's. I would then take the money you sold them for $1200~$2000 or whatever and plus the money your going to pay to get the AFR heads ported $500+ and buy a set of better flowing heads. If the AFR 205 where not enough you may want to look at a set of the ET heads or even a set of CNC'd L92's. The CNC'd L92's livernois has flow 360+CFM and only cost $1795! Oh and I know more about LS1's than both of you put together.
Old 02-14-2007, 10:53 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Yellowsierra
Oh and I know more about LS1's than both of you put together.
About sucking D.......... Oh wait this is a public forum.
THIS IS A JOKE AND ONLY A JOKE, PLEASE TAKE IT AS THAT.

Okay now for my real reply.

Originally Posted by Yellowsierra
Kids kids...LOL I think your both acting like youngsters. The AFR 205 is a great head but if you really want to make more power your probley beter off selling your 205's. I would then take the money you sold them for $1200~$2000 or whatever and plus the money your going to pay to get the AFR heads ported $500+ and buy a set of better flowing heads. If the AFR 205 where not enough you may want to look at a set of the ET heads or even a set of CNC'd L92's. The CNC'd L92's livernois has flow 360+CFM and only cost $1795! Oh and I know more about LS1's than both of you put together.

Then you should know the L92 wont work on a 346 LS1.
I like to act like a kid from time to time.
Glad you found the sarcasium (damn I can't spell that word) in my last post.
I am a ETP/Trick Flow fan but I was honestly just trying to answer the question asked.
There are tons of options, but hopefully the search button will be used as thats the best tool for searching about products on heads.
Personially I feel the AFR 205 will compete with any head on the market for overall performance. In a apples to apples comparision. I feel the ET head can shine because of the extra qualitys such as the rolled valve angle, the extra P/V clearence and the fact it starts its live as a 62cc head vs a 66cc.
Without flycuting or changing pistons its tought to get the compression where many of us would like to see it using the 205 on a 346 unless your using a small to mid size cam. It sure is nice to beable to do a 346 with a 230-240 duration cam and 11.5:1 CR without flycuting.

Anyways I think my period has now passed, and hopefully he will wake up on the right side of the best tomorrow and we can all get along.
Beace out bitches. Time for this retard to go nite nite.
Old 02-14-2007, 11:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

[QUOTE=JZ'sTA]About sucking D.......... Oh wait this is a public forum.

I think if anybody is sucking the D......... its you because all I hear you say is OHHHHH AFR OHHHHHH AFR. Then again I guess you do know more about giving HEAD advice...

Dont get me wrong AFR makes a great product. I kind of wish I would have bought a set of there 225 heads instead of my Allpro heads.
Old 02-15-2007, 10:25 AM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Havent touched the ports on my 205s, just milled the deck .020 for alittle more static CR. My car kicks *** on the street
Old 02-15-2007, 11:51 AM
Banned

[QUOTE=Yellowsierra]
About sucking D.......... Oh wait this is a public forum.

I think if anybody is sucking the D......... its you because all I hear you say is OHHHHH AFR OHHHHHH AFR. Then again I guess you do know more about giving HEAD advice...

Dont get me wrong AFR makes a great product. I kind of wish I would have bought a set of there 225 heads instead of my Allpro heads.

That was a good one. Yeah All Pro didn't have me sold back in the day but they have came around. Before they had their casting that was for a 3.9 bore and the port was huge. They were also expensive and came bare with no parts.
I am acturally probally the least AFR fan on this site that supports their product. I don't own a set of AFR's and rarely use them at my shop only when a customer brings them in himself. I perfer Trick flow and ETP over the AFR's. Now I have common since so at the same time I can see the potential of the AFR's and the benifits of them.
Out of all the LS1's products Heads are probally the product I know the best.