Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Could a cutout cause a crack in a aluminum block?

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2002, 06:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Could a cutout cause a crack in a aluminum block?

When I was under warranty, I asked about mods to the dealership and they told me that as long as your mods don't cause a failure that it will be covered under warranty.
It sounds like they don't want to fix it so they are pointing to anything they can. You would think the burden of proof would be on them and if it goes to arbitration they will have to explain why this would happen with your cut out, which they can't, because we all know that's not the reason.
I also live in Houston and would advize calling Marvin Zindler, Akins Army and any one else who will listen to you, as these people are out to help the consumer and expose thiefs like a dealership that won't honor your warranty.
Just my 2 cents.
Good luck and don't give up because the squeaky wheel gets the grease, even if it has to squeak for a long time.
Old 08-14-2002, 04:31 AM
Teching In

Attention Cobray. You are just as wrong as GM is here.
First
I only mentioned the cutout because this is the only mod that is seriously in question. The others, its obvious didnt nor could have caused the damage.
Secondly
Where did you get, anywhere in this conversation that I "gutted the cats" Sorry dont remember that being mentioned even in the GM response.
Third
You should re-read your warranty and do some research. The warranty states that "this warranty does not cover any damage or failure resulting from modifications or alterations to the vehicles OE." The Magnuson-Moss Warrant act also states that and its a federal law.
Lastly
Two of the four bolt ons that I have are available from GM on the firehawk models as a dealer installed option. A aftermarket airlid manufactured by SLP is available as a OEM product just like the one I have. I just received a response from Corsa Exhaust and their product is a "officialy licensed GM product" available as a dealer installed option and sold over their parts counter.
Also the vehicle is a automatic tranny car. Engine damage such as a bent valve is very possible on vehicles with manual trannies if you dont know how to drive one, but a automatic is a little different. It has the rev limiter set somewhere between 6000 and 6200 rpms. You can take your auto tranny and park it in neutral, rev it to the floor and not cause the damage that happened to mine. A cracked cylinder of this magnitude could have been caused by NOS but I dont have that. IT has the OEM tires with 10,500 original miles on them. I dont have it programmed in any way and its never even seen the dragstrip.
The throttle body may hold a ounce and we all know that a bypass kit could not have caused this type of damage. And the cutout is innocent as well as well stated earlier by "Weather Guy"

Later
Old 08-14-2002, 04:49 AM
Launching!

really the only point of the coolant going thru the TB is to keep it from freezing shut in the winter. it's a hold over from the Carb days.

anyway, between the TB and the block there is a Plastic intake manifold. the TB being a little cooler than the block isn't going to crack cycl #7 which is at the other freaking side of the engine.

Brent, keep up the fight, your rep is being an ***.
Old 08-14-2002, 10:43 PM
wrencher

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I know it,s all b.s. you got a faulty product. Their argument is your mods caused it (b.s.) fight em it,ll just take awhile. Hmm maybe i,ll help ya out on swappin your motor. I just feel for ya. Im a CHEV/PONT tech who sees this all the time . They wont cover a h.p. motor & pay if and hopfully when you win. To lexus tech any shop will work on gm,s thats why things are not loose. You Lexus guys have alot of your makes service covered i.e. bet your trans guy is usually booked huh? Domestic shops get killed by the independents so i guess they think of new ways to get the money. (warranty= fair$ reg.bill$$) B.T.W. JUST WRENCH ON EM' I DON'T SCREW PEOPLE OVER.