Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

MS4 110 Lsa First start up

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2007, 11:49 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jub jub
That thing has a little over 18 degrees of overlap so a low RPM idle will be out of the question. Even idling at 1700 rpm it was loping pretty bad.
My idle is currently set at 1050 when warm. My MS4 is on a 111 LSA. I had it at 950 rpms and although it will work drivability suffered. Backing out of a parking lot and such would almost ended up stalling. After some fine tuning it now drives great. I might turn it down a bit once the wheather clears here in ohio and I can play around with the tune a bit more.

Last edited by Killer_Bluebird; 03-08-2007 at 11:56 AM.
Old 03-08-2007, 11:55 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by PREDATOR-Z
Man, so i'm a dick because I explain something.
How much more Lehman can I get by saying that lifts have very, very, very little to do with PTV at the durations we are running. (you can literally say nothing to do)
Look it is simple, at TDC valves are closed (lowest lift point), at or close to BDC, valves are open to their maximum (piston is in the bottom), max lift.
So the danger lies when the piston comes back up close to TDC. If at that time the valve is still opened too much, whack, Mr. piston meets Miss valve.
The time action of the valve opening or closing is dictated by the Durations and the Valve Events of the cam. Valve Events are dictated by Duration, LSA and ICL. Lifts are not involved at all.

Exemple: a 224/224 .563/.563 112+4 LSA (TR224), has the same VEs than 224/224 .581/.581 112+4 (Comp XE-R) and the same VEs as 224/224 .636/.636 112+4 (Comp LSK).

If the TR 224 clears a certain head so will the others even though you can see the lift difference. THEY ALL HAVE THE SAME VEs
Now change the VEs (which means a different LSA/ICL) and at a certain level, you can find yourself with a cam that doesn't fit even with same Durations.

I really can't explain simpler than that.
so what your saying is that if i have .100 clearance on intake and .80 on exhaust PTV on a .563 lift cam, then i can run a .664 lift cam with the exact same VE and not hit the piston? your sure about this? lift has nothing to do PTF at all? it makes no sense!!
Old 03-08-2007, 12:28 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm still curious as to why TSP says nothing about this on the site..
Old 03-08-2007, 12:32 PM
Launching!

Just so you know I called TSP and i have the same set-up and they say it will work fine as its less than .005 difference between the MS4 on a 110LSA and A 111 LSA so quite feeding us full of **** unless you have actually talked to TSP like I have.
Old 03-08-2007, 12:33 PM
Launching!

and KrisXpc I hope my car sounds that good but I have to wait til Monday to find out
Old 03-08-2007, 12:47 PM
TECH Resident

That thing sounds so freakin awesome. Makes me want to get a cam & verter for my GTO.
Old 03-08-2007, 12:52 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Man, so i'm a dick because I explain something.
How much more Lehman can I get by saying that lifts have very, very, very little to do with PTV at the durations we are running. (you can literally say nothing to do)
Look it is simple, at TDC valves are closed (lowest lift point), at or close to BDC, valves are open to their maximum (piston is in the bottom), max lift.
So the danger lies when the piston comes back up close to TDC. If at that time the valve is still opened too much, whack, Mr. piston meets Miss valve.
The time action of the valve opening or closing is dictated by the Durations and the Valve Events of the cam. Valve Events are dictated by Duration, LSA and ICL. Lifts are not involved at all.

Exemple: a 224/224 .563/.563 112+4 LSA (TR224), has the same VEs than 224/224 .581/.581 112+4 (Comp XE-R) and the same VEs as 224/224 .636/.636 112+4 (Comp LSK).

If the TR 224 clears a certain head so will the others even though you can see the lift difference. THEY ALL HAVE THE SAME VEs
Now change the VEs (which means a different LSA/ICL) and at a certain level, you can find yourself with a cam that doesn't fit even with same Durations.

I really can't explain simpler than that.
********!
Old 03-08-2007, 02:55 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by 4U2BNVS
Just so you know I called TSP and i have the same set-up and they say it will work fine as its less than .005 difference between the MS4 on a 110LSA and A 111 LSA so quite feeding us full of **** unless you have actually talked to TSP like I have.
lol.. well said.. I hate these treads because I start thinking I'm about to **** somthing up!
Old 03-08-2007, 03:52 PM
12 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It doesnt look like Im the one making the fool out of myself. Like I said in previous post , I agree that what you call "valve events" have something to do with ptv clearance, but you saying lift has absolutely nothing to do with it is completly false.
Old 03-08-2007, 04:14 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

http://auto.howstuffworks.com/camshaft.htm

Go to the second animation... perfect example of how overlap and lsa affect PTV. Max lift happens when the piston is plenty far away fromt the valve even at .900 lift or more. Lift has nothing to do with PTV. It is duration and or overlap. i.e. LSA/ICL.

One could argue ramp rate and lobe design could affect PTV but nothing like the overlap, LSA, and ICL does.
Old 03-08-2007, 04:18 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 93camaro_zzz
It doesnt look like Im the one making the fool out of myself. Like I said in previous post , I agree that what you call "valve events" have something to do with ptv clearance, but you saying lift has absolutely nothing to do with it is completly false.

http://www.gmhightechperformance.com...ls1_dyno_tech/

it doesn't add up...

Id like to personally call out anyone who has had this cam.. and actually had the ptv clearance issues..

Ive heard little to no issues regarding TSP and their product..

Please do not insult Predator... He went out of his way to enlighten us in his knowledge.

Today, the base tune goes in.. Ill get some more video's up
Old 03-08-2007, 05:22 PM
Banned

KrisXpc what kind of exhaust you running???

Also Lift has nothing to do with PTV clearance to the people who keep arguing it
Old 03-08-2007, 05:32 PM
14 Second Truck Club

Originally Posted by bshonda
so what your saying is that if i have .100 clearance on intake and .80 on exhaust PTV on a .563 lift cam, then i can run a .664 lift cam with the exact same VE and not hit the piston? your sure about this? lift has nothing to do PTF at all? it makes no sense!!
That would depend on the duration of the cam. If it was longer duration, to the point where it was already close on PTV clearance, then it would be possible for the faster ramp rate to cause problems. A faster ramp rate would be neccesary to retain the same valve events but have that much more lift, but two lobe designs for the same engine family with that much of a difference in lift with the same duration would be rare, and if you did find one(there are some lower lift gen III cams out there) chances are the smaller lift cam would have plenty of clearance.

Last edited by mzoomora; 03-08-2007 at 05:40 PM.
Old 03-08-2007, 05:53 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by mzoomora
chances are the smaller lift cam would have plenty of clearance.
see, this is what i hear right after someone says lift has nothing to do with PTV clearance....lol
Old 03-08-2007, 07:07 PM
TECH Enthusiast

see, this is what i hear right after someone says lift has nothing to do with PTV clearance....lol

I feel the same way lol
Old 03-08-2007, 07:08 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Jbmoney21
KrisXpc what kind of exhaust you running???

Also Lift has nothing to do with PTV clearance to the people who keep arguing it
Pace setter long tubes, Off road Y, Slp Loudmouth
Old 03-08-2007, 07:48 PM
14 Second Truck Club

Maybe I worded that wrong, but that is exactly the point. The lift and ramp rates would have to be vastly different to make any real difference in PTV clearance.
Old 03-08-2007, 10:23 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Guys, you can insult me as much as you want. I myself for exemple don't call a shop to ask if it fits, I measure. That is the difference between your "wisdom" and mine.

As i said, it is your motors, not mine.

Ask TSP what is the clearance margin on intake and exhaust. If it is at or more than .080 intake or .100 exhaust, I will eat my cap (with a bit of Ketchup).
And just so you know what to ask just say :
" Mr. Zack, please tell me what are the PTV clearance margins on a MS4 with a 110 LSA"

So just so you guys understand what I'm saying. MS4 on a 110 LSA is very tight on PTV and danger of contact is imminent. Install at your own risk.

Oh and LIFT has no (as in negligeable) effect on PTV at the size of cams we run in our LSX motors.

and tuffass, you are judging me after posting in this:

https://ls1tech.com/forums/generation-iii-internal-engine/671672-installing-cam-dot-dot.html

Get real

Some poeple really need to grow up, at your age i would get pissed, now i find all this ammusing I just hope some readers can sift through and take the warning seriously.

Last edited by PREDATOR-Z; 03-09-2007 at 07:53 AM.
Old 03-09-2007, 03:34 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Well since I didn’t get any replies and been watching this thread still.
You guys seriously, who or what business is going to post every possible outcome or combo.
Second, why would they post up problems when all it would do is turn away potential buyers.

There are several threads with good and bad on several shops.
This isn’t TSP bashing, I'm just providing facts. Facts that these members asked for.

Here are Several Threads that WERE NOT POSTED ON TSP's SITE! With KNOWN ISSUES. From fake flow numbers, to a MS3 lobe breaking, to a "Bad Batch" of heads/ milling heads so low to gain better flow.
https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthrea...ight=Broke+MS3
https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthrea...hlight=TSP+LS6
https://ls1tech.com/forums/generation-iii-internal-engine/351379-if-you-bought-prc-heads-considering-check-out.html
I have pics of the heads breaking in places you wouldnt believe.

Some members other members who’s cars were destroyed because of this.
Joe - T56rebuilds.com Sponsor
2 different Moderators
Several members - use the search

TSP did make good and helping out these members in some if not all cases. You guys can read some of the threads listed and make up your own mind.

Honestly thou I don’t read or hear about many cams breaking at the lobe, or bad batches of heads. Fake flow numbers actually comes up more often to none cause it pulls in people in belief of getting those flow numbers for their cars. TSP has their good customers with lots of happy people. These are some of the bad that have been known and people dont or didnt know about. Im sure there are plenty of people that can voche for the guys up at TSP.

Hope my copy of the TPS report helps you guys out to shead some light in some areas.

Better to be safe then to be sorry, always be safe.

KrisXpc: Your car sounds awsome, serious take care and I wish ya the best.

Edit: Seeing how I also needed information about the cam. And several replies about not advising the 110 lsa comments in this thread. I sent pms to each person and asked why. NOT 1 response from anyone as to why. Seeing how they were told no, I would normally tend to ask why. I too called TSP 5 times today and got nothing but a busy signal. Ill try again tomorrow and get a definite answer.

Originally Posted by dazman
i begged tsp to let me get the 110 but they would not let me (advised against it).... LOL... said it would not work on my setup

ms4
prc stage 1 ls6
Lol you guys are great. One guy that says no, one guy that says yes. And you believe the yes cause you wish to believe it. Wish it was that simple, and it doesnt make it so.

Heres what I do know, with their 5.3 heads they recommend fly cutting the pistons with their ms4 cams on any lsa. With their LS6 heads the cc is smaller then the LS1 heads. 67cc vs 64.5cc hence the p.rod length/gasket/ heads matter. More factors come into play then just saying what will and wont work. So in short without you guys saying why, these are worthless replies.

you better search thery're site cus the 110 LSA is right on there.
No its not. A member provided you with a link. There is a reason why its not listed.

Originally Posted by KrisXpc
I'm still curious as to why TSP says nothing about this on the site..
Answer this in the first part of the post.

-N

Last edited by XxNaSDaQxX; 03-09-2007 at 01:17 PM.
Old 03-09-2007, 10:51 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Guys, you can insult me as much as you want. I myself for exemple don't call a shop to ask if it fits, I measure. That is the difference between your "wisdom" and mine.

As i said, it is your motors, not mine.

Ask TSP what is the clearance margin on intake and exhaust. If it is at or more than .080 intake or .100 exhaust, I will eat my cap (with a bit of Ketchup).
And just so you know what to ask just say :
" Mr. Zack, please tell me what are the PTV clearance margins on a MS4 with a 110 LSA"

So just so you guys understand what I'm saying. MS4 on a 110 LSA is very tight on PTV and danger of contact is imminent. Install at your own risk.

Oh and LIFT has no (as in negligeable) effect on PTV at the size of cams we run in our LSX motors.

and tuffass, you are judging me after posting in this:

https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=671672

Get real

Some poeple really need to grow up, at your age i would get pissed, now i find all this ammusing I just hope some readers can sift through and take the warning seriously.

I agree its anoying to be insulted for knowledge your putting out, But calling tufass out wasn't really needed man.

We all had to learn at some point in time.. for most of us budget builders the only way we can learn is to ask.

Im still giving TSP a chance here to get in touch with me. Ive heard nothing but top notch customer service. We all get a little busy.

Either way. I Want to see TSP put this to rest. Even if its going to sting..

Last edited by KrisXpc; 03-09-2007 at 10:59 AM.

Quick Reply: MS4 110 Lsa First start up