crane shaft mount rockers

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2007, 08:29 PM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default crane shaft mount rockers

all in a nicely packed box

one cylinder set up

rocker has a polymatrix bearing. no needle bearings means less friction loss.

Rocker stud towers had to be cut down .170" to fit the shaft mount. the holes had to be drilled and tapped to 3/8-16 thread pitch.

You can see where the valve cover wall had to be notched as well to clear the rocker. Also, on the right, you can see where the bolt boss had to be machined down.

stands on head

rockers installed

some close ups of the rockers. will need the 3/4" spacers to raise the valve covers enough to clear.

Last edited by mrr23; 03-14-2007 at 10:00 PM.
Old 03-14-2007, 09:54 PM
Launching!

Looks good. Are these adjustable?
Old 03-14-2007, 09:59 PM
10 Second Club

yes they are.
Old 03-15-2007, 03:18 AM
TECH Senior Member

They look good, but thats way to much hacking of the heads for me.
Old 03-15-2007, 05:25 AM
11 Second Club

Looks good man, And of by the way, thanks for the great picks, They help out alot.

Lane
Old 03-15-2007, 08:39 AM
TECH Fanatic

Very nice. Crane has always made high quality parts as the pics show. That is a good bit of modification to the heads though. More work and over the head of your average LS1 owner. Did you have the heads off when modifying?
Old 03-15-2007, 10:55 AM
9 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Few things to check/suggestions when installing these. Make sure the stand bolt for the exhaust side isn't too long and bottoms out. I suggest heli coils for every stand hole, aluminum threads get week after bolts have been torqued and removed a few times. These are excellent rocker arms but you have to make sure everything is perfect with the install or you will have problems. I know all of this from experience on my car.
Old 03-15-2007, 11:18 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Ryan02SS
Very nice. Crane has always made high quality parts as the pics show. That is a good bit of modification to the heads though. More work and over the head of your average LS1 owner. Did you have the heads off when modifying?
I would also like to know if the heads were off for this, I am assuming they were.
Old 03-15-2007, 12:40 PM
9 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by vettenuts
I would also like to know if the heads were off for this, I am assuming they were.
I really don't see how you could think all that milling could be done with the heads on the car.
Old 03-15-2007, 12:48 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by Ryan02SS

oh yes, they have to be off the car. all the milling and drilling that has to be done dictates so. these aren't a simple bolt on. i still have to get the 3/4" valve cover spacers to finish up.
Old 03-15-2007, 12:51 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by speedracer5532
Few things to check/suggestions when installing these. Make sure the stand bolt for the exhaust side isn't too long and bottoms out. I suggest heli coils for every stand hole, aluminum threads get week after bolts have been torqued and removed a few times. These are excellent rocker arms but you have to make sure everything is perfect with the install or you will have problems. I know all of this from experience on my car.
all of the exhaust ones were fine. about three of the intake holes weren't drill quite deep enough into the runner. so, i had to work that out. it was minor. i hope i never have to remove them again. if so, then i'll look into helicoils.
Old 03-15-2007, 01:39 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am sure they are kick *** rockers... but in all honesty they don't make much sense. Can they be used on trickflows, ETs?, Darts? If not, they are going to have a VERY small market. I would be hesitant to further weaken ported stock castings by taking material off the rocker bosses. They are already close to compromise as the recent issues with TSP has shown in their previous LS6 offering.

If they can be used with the aftermarket castings, whose going to cut their high dollar heads considerably reducing their resale value just to run a set of shaft mounts that aren't significantly cheaper than other proven shaft mounts?

Crane makes good stuff no doubt. But this endeavor just seems misguided when they did (if any) market research for these.
Old 03-15-2007, 05:25 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by mr2guru
I am sure they are kick *** rockers... but in all honesty they don't make much sense. Can they be used on trickflows, ETs?, Darts? If not, they are going to have a VERY small market. I would be hesitant to further weaken ported stock castings by taking material off the rocker bosses. They are already close to compromise as the recent issues with TSP has shown in their previous LS6 offering.

If they can be used with the aftermarket castings, whose going to cut their high dollar heads considerably reducing their resale value just to run a set of shaft mounts that aren't significantly cheaper than other proven shaft mounts?

Crane makes good stuff no doubt. But this endeavor just seems misguided when they did (if any) market research for these.
Crane's research was on the rocker geometry, and from what I understand, they could not obtain the correct geometry with the existing boss height. These are definitely a max effort type of rocker, not for the faint of heart. All the reports I have seen indicate a good power boost from them over other aftermarket rockers, including the Crane stud mounted setup.

Mid-lift (Miller) is coming out with LSx rockers soon as well, but they provide a taller rocker boss which is then machined to the head/valve stem dimensions and the cam lift. Again very specific to an application, but their wipe pattern on the valve is extremely narrow and they also maximize lift accelerations in this process.
Old 03-15-2007, 06:52 PM
10 Second Club

tony mamo cut his high dollar heads to run the shaft mounts. but to answer your question, who ever wants a bullet proof valvetrain and maximize power will do whatever it takes to achieve that goal. i am this person. and there are others. my vhp cnc ported heads weren't cheap to begin with.
Old 03-15-2007, 06:54 PM
10 Second Club

depends on which market you think they were aiming for. the average person, no. the serious racer, sure.
Old 03-15-2007, 09:11 PM
11 Second Club

Do all shaft mount rockers require the heads to be worked on???
Old 03-16-2007, 05:12 AM
TECH Senior Member

I looked at Jesels and TD's when I did my heads. All the feedback I had received was that the pushrod holes needed some elongation to eliminate interference and possibly the inner rim of the valve cover surface. I didn't go that route as a result so I don't actually have experience with them and went with Crane stud mounted instead. I really like the stud mounts, but removing them for spring changes is a pain. Full adjustability, especially with the Morel lifters so I can control the lifter preload is a big plus though.