Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: Which pistons would you go with?
Mahle -6cc
53.60%
Diamond -7cc
46.40%
Voters: 125. You may not vote on this poll

Diamond or Mahle?

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2008, 07:09 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by BIG BAD BLACKSS
Males in the aftermarket LSX world seem to traditionally be a 4032, whereas the diamonds are 2618's. Two totally different meterials for two different applications. 4032 is a weaker material that tends to crack when pushed too far. 2618 is stronger and will tend to deform some rather then crack when they fail. The tradeoff is the 2618s last maybe half as long as a 4032. 2618 isnt for a motor your building to get many years of performance from. Its for a hardcore build thats gonna put down big power on a power adder. In that regard the diamonds far exceed the mahle pistons.

For a moderate n/a build the mahle is your piston. For a big HP nitrous or boost motor 2618 is the only way to go in my opinion.
Does anyone knoe if there is any piston that works for both applications last a bit longetr and can take a big hit- i am guessing not but would throw out the idea.

Also how do the eagle pistons compare to the rest?
Old 03-23-2008, 11:34 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by racer7088
Mahles like the powerpak designs are decent cheap pistons but are definitely weaker than the Diamond 2618 pistons on average. The pistons in an F1 engine have nothing in common with these Mahle "powerpack" deals you guys are talking about at all but they are semi decent pistons if you don't plan in using much NOS. The Mahles tend to on average have much thinner ringlands than the other players like Wiseco, Diamond etc.

The only problems we usually seem to see Mahle piston customers having is in the wire locks not fitting due to large burrs on them. If you take those burrs off you will have no problems but I've seen some Mahle destruction from pins coming out where people just tried to force those round wire locks in without deburring them and disaster struck. Again most were the home built variety which have those problems anyway but still we've had to deburr every set of Mahle wire locks we've gotten and I won't sell them to a home builder anymore.
Well you obviously did something right when you put my motor together. About 10,000 hard miles on her and the Mahle's are still holding strong.
Old 03-24-2008, 01:11 AM
TECH Apprentice

This is an old post, lol. But that was a good question about a middle ground I thought...if there is one.
Old 03-24-2008, 10:45 PM
FormerVendor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by playtoy
Well you obviously did something right when you put my motor together. About 10,000 hard miles on her and the Mahle's are still holding strong.
They are great pistons but just not for bigger NOS basically. The higher rings can actually make more hp in NA use. They're just not as NOS friendly and now Mahle's newer stuff does have a lower top ring land than they did back then on many of their pistons now.
Old 03-24-2008, 10:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

i say mahle because they keep a good bit of my town employed
Old 04-03-2008, 02:58 PM
TECH Regular

I have used diamonds on my past 2 motors. Both motors made great power and ran great. I always go with what works.

Quick Reply: Diamond or Mahle?