Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

White smoke}-:

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2002, 09:27 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default White smoke}-:

I just installed a new Lunati cam, Holley intake manufold, and MAC headers with off road Y-pipe and had the heads ported. Man, what a difference! The only problem is that when I get the RPM's upto 6000 and let off the gas, a S**t load of white smoke comes out the back}-: I have been told that there is coolant burning. NOT GOOD! The coolant was a little low when I checked last night. The white smoke only happens when their is a lot of back pressure. I can rev the motor up and put her in neutral and no smoke? Anyone have any ideas and/or suggestions?
Old 10-29-2002, 03:35 PM
Launching!

Default Re: White smoke}-:

You are burning coolant. How? Not sure, but you're going down the right road.
Old 10-29-2002, 03:42 PM
Teching In

Thanks {-:
I see your from Wichita Falls. I moved up here from their. I didn't like the hot summers.
I used to live next to the air base on Lenore St.
Did you go to high school there?
Ok later, I'll update tomarow with the compression test results.
Old 10-30-2002, 12:01 AM
Teching In

no one has any ideas? I am going to do a compression test tonight, maybe this will tell if the heads are leaking?
Old 10-30-2002, 10:14 AM
Teching In

I did a compression test on 7 of the 8 cylenders. The highest one was 145 lbs and the lowest one was 125 lbs. To my knowalge this is well within proper guidlines. I am pretty sure the white smoke was/is due to me getting coolant in the oil. I hope that the oil change will help. DYNO TIME!!!! With and without NOS
Old 10-30-2002, 01:02 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Another possibility >>> The heads were over ported somewhere resulting in a crack in the head and coolant is passing into the cylinder when the intake valve opens, then it burns. That would explain a good compression test.
Old 10-30-2002, 10:31 PM
TECH Resident

that seems to low on compression.
175-190 is the norm i think from my past experiance.

pressure check the radiator and see if its a head gasket..

steve frank
Old 10-31-2002, 10:00 AM
Teching In

I have never presure tested a radiator. How do I do this?
Old 11-07-2002, 10:25 PM
Launching!

No, I'm the Air Force and stationed here as an Instructor Pilot right now. I also went to pilot training here. Ready to move on though and get back to the F-16.
Old 11-08-2002, 04:03 AM
Teching In

I hate to tell you;but,I have been around several LS1 cars that have had the same problem. All of them started the smoking after installing the headers with ORP. We have tried many different things to fix the problem and the only thing we found was to pull the engine and put a set of rings in it. If you call any of the suppliers they will tell you they have never heard of the problem. It seems to me that a lot of LS1 cars use oil. I guess when the headers and orp are installed, it just lets it show up. The last two cars that we installed headers on were using approx. 1/2 to 3/4 of a quart between changes. After the header install, they went to almost 1/2 quart to less than 200 miles. I know this does not seem logical;but,IT DID HAPPEN!
Good luck and let us know how it goes. God Bless!
Old 11-08-2002, 06:20 AM
*Bad Trader*

I have to say its coolante too, i just did my rebuild( new rings) and i have a messed up bolt hole for the head bolts(striped and wont TQ down) and i now am losing coolante and and have the same symptoms...
Old 11-08-2002, 06:38 AM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif"> It seems to me that a lot of LS1 cars use oil. I guess when the headers and orp are installed, it just lets it show up. </font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">I think the fact that the cats are no longer there plus the fact that you are raising the redline about 500 to 700 RPM after a cam install(which causes ring flutter) both contribute to the smoking and oil usage. My car would sometimes smoke above 6K rpms on WOT and sometimes it would not and it would use 3 times the amount of oil if I was redlining it or driving it hard. I narrowed it down to definitely being the rings and yes this started right after the cam install.I'm pretty sure it has to do with the extra RPMS.
</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif"> The only problem is that when I get the RPM's upto 6000 and let off the gas, a S**t load of white smoke comes out the back}- </font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">If it is on decel then that is probably your PCV system. And don't forget. Grey- blue smoke can look very white in bright sunlight!

<small>[ November 08, 2002, 07:17 AM: Message edited by: StevieZ ]</small>