Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is SS in trouble?

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2007, 09:11 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Is SS in trouble?

My 01 SS with 50K is loosing oil, not drastically but about 1-2 quarts in two weeks. I changed out the PCV, see no oil up top, bottom is dry as can be and no smoke at all. Do I have real small crack in the block or what?
Old 03-28-2007, 09:29 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

get the car on a rack and have a look around.
Old 03-28-2007, 09:36 PM
On The Tree

I forgot to mention Service Engine Soon light is on, had it coded and came up right Cat is bad. Does that anything to do with LS1 using oil?

I was all over underneeath and can't find any wet spots, just very small seepage/smear off transmission
Old 03-28-2007, 09:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

i kno some ls1s came out bad and burn alot of oil.. but i cant remember how much... that sounds like alot of oil for just a week or two.. mine goes through 1 quart a month.. but i also have a rear main seal leak
Old 03-28-2007, 10:00 PM
Teching In

yea Im not sure. Cuz we replaced the PCV valve cuz we posted up on here. Seemed that helped. But lets see last oil change was about maybe 2000 miles ago. N low oil light came on tonite . I go to check it n I only have like a quart n a half or so. So I put in like two quarts or three. I look under my car and theres no signs of leaks or no smells of burnings. Idles fine and my pressure is fine. N so is Volt. I dunno if these motors like to go through oil quick or not.
Old 03-28-2007, 10:02 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by SlaminSS
yea Im not sure. Cuz we replaced the PCV valve cuz we posted up on here. Seemed that helped. But lets see last oil change was about maybe 2000 miles ago. N low oil light came on tonite . I go to check it n I only have like a quart n a half or so. So I put in like two quarts or three. I look under my car and theres no signs of leaks or no smells of burnings. Idles fine and my pressure is fine. N so is Volt. I dunno if these motors like to go through oil quick or not.
wow if it gets low enough for ur low oil light to come on than thats bad! id get that checked! do you by any chance still have warantee on it? i kno chevy gave people new engines when they had this problem.. but ur car has to be completly stock! not even a k&n

and its extreamly bad for ur car to be that low on oil.. i wouldnt drive it that much till it was fixed...
Old 03-29-2007, 07:44 AM
Teching In

Nope no warranty on it Im the third owner on my car. Drving wise I was watching it carefully and all pressure was right were it should be even tho my low oil light was on and so was my VOLT so Im stumped.
Old 03-29-2007, 07:52 AM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

While these cars do eat some oil, they don't eat that much in that short a period of time. Something is wrong, and you are losing the oil somewhere. If you are living in Niceville, chances are you work at Eglin...take it over to the auto hobby shop and get it on a rack.
Old 03-29-2007, 08:58 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I agree with Meent...something is definitely wrong here...

Regardless if it is an F-body or not, a car using that much oil has some problems. Get under and see what's up...
Old 03-29-2007, 09:09 AM
TECH Apprentice

Somethings wrong. that thing is using a **** load of oil. I might use a lil more than a half quart in between changes.
Old 03-29-2007, 09:18 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

What do the tail pipes look like.. is it black and oily ? Maybe a broken Oil Ring on one of the pistons or a bad Valve oil seal....!?

Is there any oil in the coolant ?
Old 03-29-2007, 09:34 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Rokn Red
My 01 SS with 50K is loosing oil, not drastically but about 1-2 quarts in two weeks. I changed out the PCV, see no oil up top, bottom is dry as can be and no smoke at all. Do I have real small crack in the block or what?

Not drastic.......????

That certainly is not a small amount.

Get it on a lift and see where it is coming from, and go from there
Old 03-29-2007, 09:50 AM
TECH Resident

Does the motor still feel strong or is there a noticeable effect on power?

Jason
Old 03-29-2007, 01:20 PM
On The Tree

Damn that is a lot of freaken oil.Mine will burnup to 1 quart on an oil change if im driveing it hard but damn not any where thta much. Cant believe its not smoken or leaken on tha ground. Put her on a lift and get a really brite lite under there with ya. That oil has to be going somewhere.
Old 03-29-2007, 01:25 PM
TECH Senior Member

Get it on a lift and look for an oil leak and perform a leakdown test on all cylinders.

Oil can only go 3 places, to the ground, into the coolant, or into the combustion chambers.
Old 03-29-2007, 08:38 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Camaro99SS
Does the motor still feel strong or is there a noticeable effect on power?

Jason

Womped it today and I slammed first through third no problem n she got up n went. I felt no loss of power or hesistation. I also thought it was funny too cuz Im not smelling anything either or seeing anything leaking under my car. I mean nothing or remenants of oil on my tail pipes at all or a smell when I hit it, N its dry underneath from wut Im seeing
Old 03-30-2007, 12:22 AM
TECH Senior Member

flush all your coolant and look for oil in it.
Old 04-04-2007, 09:11 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Tainted
flush all your coolant and look for oil in it.
^ good point. Have you noticed the oil having any milky residue on it when you check it? At 50k, this shouldn't be the case, but there are lemons out there.

My friend's 454SS truck was going through oil about the same rate as you, but it never smoked anytime and ran great. When he put put a different cam in it, he noticed 3 of the valve seals were rotted out and the others on their way. After the cam swap with new seals, his truck went through maybe 1/2 qt every 3k.

Jason
Old 04-04-2007, 06:56 PM
On The Tree

Mechanic went thru the whole setup including running dye thru the oil system, it showed up no where including cooling system. He even took the blacklight to the exhaust tips. Come to find out that since we're running 5W30 might be a cuase since its heating up here in Florida.

Everything checked out, so put more dye, will run another 1K til next oil change and watch everything.
Old 04-07-2007, 01:38 PM
TECH Resident

You've got to be burning it then, either through the valve seals or through the rings. One thing you can do for now is to Seafoam the motor. Get a bottle of Seafoam from any parts store. You can also get the same thing in spray can form from the dealer; it's called GM Top Engine Cleaner. Follow the directions including a spirited drive, and I bet your car will at least be a little more responsive.

I would also make it a point to drive the car hard for a week and see how much oil it goes through. Forget relying on the oil light to come on. The dipstick is a more accurate and reliable way of checking the oil level. If it actually burns less, then some of the rings were needing to be reseated again. This can happen if you go a very long time of driving the car easily and not getting on it.

My car with 110k went through 1/2qt or a little more per oil change the last few cycles on easy driving because of the cold weather. This last one it saw alot of WOT runs with warmer weather around. In 4k miles, it didn't burn any. A friend of mine had a high mileage Fox Mustang that was cammed. It started smoking on acceleration. Since it had over 200k miles, he decided to harp on it until it exploded. Well, it didn't, and after about 500 miles of this, the car quit smoking and began running better again until he took it past 7000rpm racing a Z06 and twisted 2 conn. rods.

Do the things mentioned and let us know of the results.

Jason