Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What else do I need for h/c swap?

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2007, 02:29 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Question What else do I need for h/c swap?

im saving up for a head and cam swap in my 02 SS M6. its got a 4.10 and i want it streetable, but i want power. im having a tough time trying to get everything i need and wanted to ask yall some ?'s.

i still need heads but im still trying to decide between afr 205's and trick flow 215's. i also still need a cam which im still trying to decide on between G5X3, G5X4, MS4. ***if yall have any other different cam recommendations let me know***

what rockers do yall recommend for me to put on? ive heard good things about the harland sharps. i dont need the shaft mounted cause its not a drag car.

what do yall think about the cometic gaskets are they worth the money?

how much to mill the heads?

how do i pick what length pushrods i need?

i purchased some comp o.e. lifters are they good or yall think id be happier with the cadillac race lifters or the LS7's?
Old 04-02-2007, 07:49 AM
TECH Addict

anyone?
Old 04-04-2007, 02:02 PM
TECH Addict

no one wants to help
Old 04-04-2007, 06:34 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Either AFR or TFs will serve you well. Both are high quality and proven performers.

Re: cam...talk to the sponsors. You want to make sure you match your cam to your heads as well as ensure it will drive/behave and accomplish the goals you want.

Harlands or Yella Terra Ultra Lights will work fine for you. Another option would be rebuilt stockers by Harland.

I would vote for GM MLS gaskets, but again, it depends on your setup.

Milling and PR length are both something you want to discuss with a sponsor, once you've decided which H/C setup you're going with.

I'm running Comp 850s and they've done great for me. Caddy Racing lifters are another good option.

Good luck!
Old 04-04-2007, 09:35 PM
TECH Enthusiast

dont forget all the small stuff for the swap , gaskets bolts fluids. I got the G5X1 and ported & Polished LS6 heads, comp springs , pushrods all that stuff and have not got numbers yet but my buddy was running the same set up and made in the 42Xrwhp range. I think the LS7 lifters are good I have heard a lot of good stuff about them and no negative.
Old 04-05-2007, 06:39 AM
TECH Addict

ive gotten all the gaskets, fluids, oil pump, timing chain and lifters i need the big stuff now like heads and a cam
Old 04-07-2007, 08:16 AM
TECH Addict

anyone else want to give up there opinions
Old 04-07-2007, 09:00 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You need to sit down at the "drawing board" and decide what you want to use the car for. Where do you want the power - at high RPM for the occasional run, lower RPM for everyday use, etc. The cams you have indicated are big cams, and you will sacrifice low end power and torque for peak power - which is fine if that's what you are looking for. You will also need to plan the timing events to maximize whichever route you take.

You can replace rockers if you want but it is not necessary.

The gaskets depend on what whether you are going to mill and what DCR and quench you are trying to achieve.

If you are going to use comp OE lifters fine, but they are equal to what you have now. If you are going to change, go with the caddy or LS7s.

I would suggest you contact AFR, Trickflow, Patrick or someone who can help you put together a designed combination of head, cam, milling, and gasket to reach the valve event, compression, and power range you are looking for. Don't just buy a bunch of parts unless you're more interested in bragging rights than results.

That's my .02
Old 04-07-2007, 09:03 PM
TECH Addict

i agree i dont know much about the technical aspects of the heads as for example mill and what DCR and quench you are trying to achieve i dont have a clue what that means i know what milling is. it will be used on the street and occasionally 1/4 mile. im not going cheap i want the most power i can get outta the car with just a head/cam swap. any cams you recommend?