Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My Cam Saga/Report

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2007, 08:22 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default My Cam Saga/Report

Well as some of you know i was haing some issues with my TSP 228/232 .588/.595 110+4. the problems i was having was bucking at 1500 - 1700 RPMs, slight hesitation below 2500 RPMs giving it 'some' gas, more bucking at 2500 RPMs, warm start and idle dip.

So i swapped my PCM with my buddies. Had a perfect warm start, took it for a drive had idle hang. tuner adjsuted for it. Warm start was a no go again took it for a drive, no idle hang, no idle dip, still have the bucking at 1500 RPMs and no hesitation, but if i do it is so faint.

I would finally say that my car is finally at 96%

My car at start up wants AIR, and ONLY AIR.. after that the IAC drops to 50 steps. But at warm start it want 128+ steps, and the it maxed at .64 g/cyl. So it is not the tune. We also did a speed denisity tune as well, that made it worse.

I was also having some bad gas mileage to. 85 miles under normal driving conditions (shifting under 3K RPMs) i was at 1/4 of a tank. Replace my 02s and pretty i got on a full tank about 160. But i was fvckign around a lot with the tune. Lots of starting and stopping....

So all in all i am going to keep the cam... i think if i were to get a 4.10 i would get rid of the bucking.....

any other thoughts???

thanks to all that have helped me out, not going to name any names b/c i know i will forget someone
Old 04-03-2007, 08:28 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Im glad you got it fixed up a lot better than it used to be. The gas mileage will work itself out a lot after a good while of not flashing the PCM again. I will be sure to post up if I think of anything else that you may find useful in the quest for a perfect tune.

I just walked in the door from street tuning my car a little bit, got a perfect idle and the rpm's drop perfect now when I pop it in neutral while cruising, it hold a at a little bit over a grand thern as I go under 20MPH the rpms slowly drop down to my idle of 850. Got that down my tweaking the idle air a bit more and cutting the throttle follower down by 85% in the lower MPH cells. It even works fine with the AC on which is a priority when you live in GA. Now i just have to square the WOT fueling away, its way too rich at WOT, like 10:1 on the top end NA. Thats a simple fix though.
Old 04-03-2007, 08:43 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by brad8266
Im glad you got it fixed up a lot better than it used to be. The gas mileage will work itself out a lot after a good while of not flashing the PCM again. I will be sure to post up if I think of anything else that you may find useful in the quest for a perfect tune.

I just walked in the door from street tuning my car a little bit, got a perfect idle and the rpm's drop perfect now when I pop it in neutral while cruising, it hold a at a little bit over a grand thern as I go under 20MPH the rpms slowly drop down to my idle of 850. Got that down my tweaking the idle air a bit more and cutting the throttle follower down by 85% in the lower MPH cells. It even works fine with the AC on which is a priority when you live in GA. Now i just have to square the WOT fueling away, its way too rich at WOT, like 10:1 on the top end NA. Thats a simple fix though.

my car does the same thing: pop it into nuetral and the idle hangs at 1100 RPMs, then as i get slower it holds rgiht under 1K RPMs.. the scanner is readign 920-970 RPMs. my car will not idle lower, if it does, then idle dips really bad.... i did have the ac on the other day after a car wash, coming to a stop and i had idle hang have not yet addressed that to the tuner.. But i prolly will not car b/c i never run the ac in the summer time......... WOT i am at 12.9... at crusie i am 15.0... not to bad...
Old 04-03-2007, 08:55 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by TORCHD 02 TA
my car does the same thing: pop it into nuetral and the idle hangs at 1100 RPMs, then as i get slower it holds rgiht under 1K RPMs.. the scanner is readign 920-970 RPMs. my car will not idle lower, if it does, then idle dips really bad.... i did have the ac on the other day after a car wash, coming to a stop and i had idle hang have not yet addressed that to the tuner.. But i prolly will not car b/c i never run the ac in the summer time......... WOT i am at 12.9... at crusie i am 15.0... not to bad...
Thats sucks that you cant get it lower than that. I love having it so it holds a slightly higher until you start to slow down a lot, then once ya hit like 20 MPH and it slowly comes down to 850, its just perfect, no dipping or major chopping.

When i installed the engine I set the idle to 950 and left it like that for like a week or 2 but eventually a idle that high drove me nuts. Much better at 850. Im sure you tried but when i dropped the idle speed down i had to increase the IAC park positon table by like 2 counts to get it to hold real good.
Old 04-03-2007, 09:27 PM
TECH Senior Member

Thats sucks that you cant get it lower than that. I love having it so it holds a slightly higher until you start to slow down a lot, then once ya hit like 20 MPH and it slowly comes down to 850, its just perfect, no dipping or major chopping.

When i installed the engine I set the idle to 950 and left it like that for like a week or 2 but eventually a idle that high drove me nuts. Much better at 850. Im sure you tried but when i dropped the idle speed down i had to increase the IAC park positon table by like 2 counts to get it to hold real good.

yup the idle holding that is a good thing...

i do not mind it at 920-970.. jsut wish it was lower that is all. when i lowered it, i had idle dip or hang.. And in the IAC park table what did you adjsut? what does the table look like i am draing a blank....
Old 04-03-2007, 09:32 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by TORCHD 02 TA
yup the idle holding that is a good thing...

i do not mind it at 920-970.. jsut wish it was lower that is all. when i lowered it, i had idle dip or hang.. And in the IAC park table what did you adjsut? what does the table look like i am draing a blank....
The IAC park table looks just like the idle air(running airflow) table. They both are just IAC count vs temp tables. I actually had to bump them both up a tad when i dropped the idle speed. The reason being that when you drop the idle the engine needs a little more extra air going through to hold that lower idle. At first i forgot to change the IAC tables and i just lowered the idle in the idle speed table and it idled but sucked ***** after you blipped the throttle. Once I bumped the IAC tables up like 2 counts it worked OK.

Oh and as a sidenote I increased all of my timing tables 4 degrees over stock through the entire thing. I went back in there to check it out to see how much i increased spark, i did a blanket 4 degrees everywhere and it works great so far.
Old 04-03-2007, 10:56 PM
TECH Addict

Mine idles at 900 and I wouldn't want it any other way. I wish there were still a way to send you my tune so your tuner could have something to start from. I went out tonight, popped it into 6th at 50mph (1200rpm), and set the cruise control without any issues.
Old 04-04-2007, 06:21 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by SSpdDmon
Mine idles at 900 and I wouldn't want it any other way. I wish there were still a way to send you my tune so your tuner could have something to start from. I went out tonight, popped it into 6th at 50mph (1200rpm), and set the cruise control without any issues.
A better test is to shift into second and third at those low rpms and see how it reacts, thats where the problems with bucking and such usually arise.
Old 04-04-2007, 10:49 AM
TECH Addict

Sounds like you need to get the car retuned. When my tuner drilled out the hole in the TB to help with the idle it did the same thing. But he then spent like 30 sec's to retune part of it and now the RPM drops right down when I take it out of gear like it should.
Old 04-04-2007, 11:05 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by ProjectCamaro
Sounds like you need to get the car retuned. When my tuner drilled out the hole in the TB to help with the idle it did the same thing. But he then spent like 30 sec's to retune part of it and now the RPM drops right down when I take it out of gear like it should.
I dont want my rpms to drop right to idle when i pop the clutch, i adjusted the follower to do what it does right now.
Old 04-04-2007, 12:50 PM
TECH Senior Member

A better test is to shift into second and third at those low rpms and see how it reacts, thats where the problems with bucking and such usually arise.
yup very true.. In 6th gear doing 70 which is 1200 or 1300 RPMs.. i have no problems at all.. It is 2nd or 3rd gear that i experience the problmes.
Old 04-04-2007, 12:51 PM
TECH Senior Member

I dont want my rpms to drop right to idle when i pop the clutch, i adjusted the follower to do what it does right now.
the reason that the idle hangs at 1100 till you come to a complete stop is so that the car does not stall.. I like the fact that it hangs right there, then slowly drops down.. PERFECT!!!!!!!
Old 04-04-2007, 02:33 PM
On The Tree

Glad too hear that you finally got most of the bugs worked out and that you are going to keep the cam. You have been workn with that cam and tune for a freakn while so im sure you are glad to be this close to haveing it finished. I have the same cam but on a 114 going in next week.
Old 04-04-2007, 05:01 PM
11 Second Club

haha, when my car was completely stock it bucked in 1st-3rd at anything under 1700 rpm...
Old 04-04-2007, 05:12 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by dmart
haha, when my car was completely stock it bucked in 1st-3rd at anything under 1700 rpm...
damn.
Old 04-04-2007, 07:20 PM
dug
Banned

Is most of your driving below 40mph? Mine only acts up below 40mph. It hasnt been tuned either. Since most of my driving is +40mph, I never worried about it.

the 110lsa sounds like a pita
Old 04-04-2007, 07:28 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by dug
The 110 LSA means nothing by itself. The total overlap @ .050 is only 10 degress. That is hardly enough overlap to cause a lot of tuning/driving issues.
Old 04-04-2007, 07:49 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by justin quick
Glad too hear that you finally got most of the bugs worked out and that you are going to keep the cam. You have been workn with that cam and tune for a freakn while so im sure you are glad to be this close to haveing it finished. I have the same cam but on a 114 going in next week.

trust me you will like the cam on 114.... I am jealous Post up results when you get it in
Old 04-04-2007, 07:50 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by dug
Is most of your driving below 40mph? Mine only acts up below 40mph. It hasnt been tuned either. Since most of my driving is +40mph, I never worried about it.

umm yea most of it is below 40 mph.. why? What speed limits do you have lol???
Old 04-04-2007, 07:54 PM
TECH Senior Member

The 110 LSA means nothing by itself. The total overlap @ .050 is only 10 degress. That is hardly enough overlap to cause a lot of tuning/driving issues.

yep my cam has 10* of overlap, not a bitch to pain, but enough to be a PITA!

Brad, i would not gain anything if i were to get an adjustable timing chain and retard it 4* would it? That way it is on a 110 ICL.... no matter what it still has the 10* in it.