Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

PLEASE HELP!!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2002, 07:09 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default PLEASE HELP!!!

My club had a track event today. I made my first run ever...and I screwed up my car bigtime, I think.

I missed my 3rd to 4th shift, and accidently went into 2nd. The car hit the rev limiter, died, and the steering column locked up. It took me 3 tries but I finally got the car restarted.

After getting the car started, there was a very loud ticking sound. The tick gets faster as the engine revs (i did not race the rest of the day after the first run).

A couple dozen people from my club listened to my car club listened to my car to see if they could hear the problem. Most came to the conclusion that it is a bent pushrod.

Do you think this maybe the case? Or could it be a lifter? My buddy is on his way over with some stock pushrods, and we are going to swap them out. We think it's either coming from the #5 or #7 cylinder.

As far as swapping out pushrods, is there anything important that we should know or do? I don't have a Chilton's manual . All I know is pull the valve cover pull out the rocker arms, then the pushrods, then re-torque the pushrods to 22 ft. lbs.

Is there any information or advise people can lend us/me. Please help!
Old 11-24-2002, 07:25 PM
10 Second Club

Default Re: PLEASE HELP!!!

It's most definately at least a pushrod, check them all. You will be lucky if you didn't have a valve hit a piston too.

Not much to changing a pushrod on a stock headed car, pretty much what you described. I would keep all parts in their perspective places..

Dan
Old 11-24-2002, 07:25 PM
FormerVendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You are on the right track. Only other possibility would be bent valves as well. More than likely just pushrods. 22 ftlbs is correct also. Goodluck. Check them all while you are in there.
Old 11-24-2002, 07:26 PM
FormerVendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You are on the right track. Only other possibility would be bent valves as well. More than likely just pushrods. 22 ftlbs is correct also. Goodluck. Check them all while you are in there.
Old 11-24-2002, 07:29 PM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 1,164 Likes on 757 Posts

1) Sounds like a bent pushrod to me.

2) When reinstalling if the valve cover gasket comes off you will need new ones.

3) When retorquing stuff make sure you know which things are INCH lbs vs FT lbs.
Old 11-25-2002, 01:04 PM
TECH Regular

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by Pro Stock John:
<strong>1) Sounds like a bent pushrod to me.

2) When reinstalling if the valve cover gasket comes off you will need new ones.

3) When retorquing stuff make sure you know which things are INCH lbs vs FT lbs.</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Well, as far as inch lbs vs. ft lbs goes, I don't believe I need to worry, I think. From what everyone in my club told me (which was confirmed here) 22ft lbs is the only number I really need to worry about, correct?
Old 11-25-2002, 01:52 PM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 1,164 Likes on 757 Posts

The valve cover is not 22 ft lbs... it's not very much tq at all... don't overtighten you can breake the bolts easily.
Old 11-25-2002, 09:16 PM
TECH Regular

Thanks for the replies guys.

We got the problem taken care of in about an hours time. Bent pushrod on the intake valve of cylinder #3.
Here's a pic if you're interested in taking a look
http://members.***.net/hamlej/pushrod%202.jpg