Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My Engine Committed Suicide Yesterday

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2008, 10:47 PM
OWN3D BY MY PROF!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

^ I haven't torn it down yet, but I do think it was a leaky injector. I used to drive it every day before I put it up on jackstands to do the brakes. Then, it sat up there for 4 days (I think it was) without starting. I think if the fuel puddled in on the piston and some ran into the oil breaking it down. It could have been some crazy miracle that it did suck in some water. It was quite the downpour. It just seems much more logical that the injector was the problem.

Originally Posted by 98Camarod
It's just aluminum, why'd you need the jack?

just kiddin, next time wake someone up to help you
That was one of the rare times those types of responses really got me.
Old 01-15-2008, 10:58 PM
11 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Looks like things are slowly comming around. Dont loose hope.
Old 01-16-2008, 04:32 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

im sorry to hear that..now its time for a bigger and better one!
Old 01-16-2008, 08:31 AM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It deff could have been hydrolocked but it doesnt need to be because of water. Although unlikely, if one or more of his injectors was leaking it could have filled the cylinder enough with gas that it would cause the same issue
Old 02-07-2008, 09:40 PM
OWN3D BY MY PROF!

Time for a random update. I saw another MTM car while I was down at Jason's today. It kind of gave me a reminder how much I miss driving my Formula around.

I haven't really gotten to do anything with the car and I'm majorly broke. I'm hoping with my tax return coming in at some point in the next couple months, my birthday in less than two weeks, and saving up from work I can order some more parts. My next goal is to get the heads finished. That way I can move forward on the rest of the build.

I've been down at Jason's http://www.lsxtuning.net/ lately working on my new car that I traded the shortblock I crammed in my car, some diamond 3.905 pistons, and $400 for. I took some pictures of my Formula while it was down there. I took the whole tail panel apart a week or so ago and air blasted all the dirt and leaves out of there. I then cleaned out the drainage paths for the hatch then blasted the front clean (relatively). It's still covered in pollen, but looks a lot better. It still makes me sad that I haven't gotten this thing fixed yet, but it's tough gathering this much money to fix it the way I want it.

Pictures:

Once I get it finished I'm going to get the front bumper and that one chunk on the quarter panel repainted.

Old 02-08-2008, 01:13 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Beaflag VonRathburg
^ I haven't torn it down yet, but I do think it was a leaky injector. I used to drive it every day before I put it up on jackstands to do the brakes. Then, it sat up there for 4 days (I think it was) without starting. I think if the fuel puddled in on the piston and some ran into the oil breaking it down. It could have been some crazy miracle that it did suck in some water. It was quite the downpour. It just seems much more logical that the injector was the problem.

That was one of the rare times those types of responses really got me.
Leaking injector caused my friends car to do the exact same thing. Took him 2motors to figure that out unfortuantly.
Old 02-08-2008, 04:07 PM
OWN3D BY MY PROF!

Originally Posted by NBM99SS
Leaking injector caused my friends car to do the exact same thing. Took him 2motors to figure that out unfortuantly.
I'm eliminating that possibility. I've got some 42lb/hour green tops that are going in.
Old 02-16-2008, 02:13 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Hey Beaflag,

where di you buy your car? That car looks like a formula I was looking at about 2 yrs ago @ Angelo's Wholesale on Blanding

whoops..edit that was the car @ Jasons....nvm
Old 02-16-2008, 02:30 PM

sorry dude, feel bad for ya...any mustang owners on your street???lol
Old 02-16-2008, 04:32 PM
OWN3D BY MY PROF!

Originally Posted by Pro52R
Hey Beaflag,

where di you buy your car? That car looks like a formula I was looking at about 2 yrs ago @ Angelo's Wholesale on Blanding

whoops..edit that was the car @ Jasons....nvm
That's where I got it. What's up with the edit? I'm down there every Tuesday and Thursday working on my 93 camaro. Do I happen to know who this is?

Originally Posted by burnerdown
sorry dude, feel bad for ya...any mustang owners on your street???lol
No, but it was either my old ******* neighbor or their lawn service that took that chunk of paint out of my quarter panel and didn't tell me.
Old 02-19-2008, 08:13 AM
TECH Enthusiast

That's where I got it. What's up with the edit? I'm down there every Tuesday and Thursday working on my 93 camaro. Do I happen to know who this is?
LOL...I edited before I re read the post witht he pics. I though you said it was a car like yours @ Jason's,lol.

Yah, I was looking at that car too. Had a LM1 on it,and its an M6 correct?

I was looking at it,but my credit didn't work. So now I'm building one
Old 02-19-2008, 07:32 PM
OWN3D BY MY PROF!

Originally Posted by Pro52R
LOL...I edited before I re read the post witht he pics. I though you said it was a car like yours @ Jason's,lol.

Yah, I was looking at that car too. Had a LM1 on it,and its an M6 correct?

I was looking at it,but my credit didn't work. So now I'm building one
Yeap, that's the car. Maybe you can consider yourself lucky? I'm glad I own it, but sometimes I wish I would have gone with a more moderate build and enjoy driving it.
Old 02-29-2008, 08:16 AM
Teching In

Yeah we had fun with this crap happening...NOT!!!!![/SIZE]
Old 02-29-2008, 11:03 PM
OWN3D BY MY PROF!

^ Yeah, it was loads of fun.... Especially playing musical broken down cars afterwards. Pushing the camaro sucked.
Old 03-04-2008, 09:22 AM
Teching In

^ Yeah. Pushing the Formula was no big deal, but the freakin' Camaro. Jesus I sware that thing is twice as heavey as the Formula. Damn thing was hard as hell to move!!! But we did it...eventually.
Old 03-04-2008, 07:08 PM
OWN3D BY MY PROF!

I don't know what it was about the camaro, but that thing didn't want to budge. Part of it was getting stuck pushing it uphill out of the end of the alley. I'm going to have to see how much each one actually weighs. I think they're really close despite the complete differences in engines and transmissions.
Old 03-04-2008, 08:03 PM
10 Second Moderator

I don't know what it was about the camaro, but that thing didn't want to budge. Part of it was getting stuck pushing it uphill out of the end of the alley. I'm going to have to see how much each one actually weighs. I think they're really close despite the complete differences in engines and transmissions.
My 95Z A4 weighed 3400 with no spare and jack with 1/2 tank of gas. I used a set of roundy round racer buddies scales.
Old 03-04-2008, 08:06 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Torkman15
My 95Z A4 weighed 3400 with no spare and jack with 1/2 tank of gas. I used a set of roundy round racer buddies scales.
Im struggling to get my car to that weight with fumes in the tank.
Old 03-04-2008, 08:23 PM
OWN3D BY MY PROF!

Originally Posted by Torkman15
It's the 95, V6, A4 vs. the 98 V8, M6. I think the formula was actually quiet a bit lighter. I'm going to get the 95 on the trucker scale I drive by every time I head to the shop. I'm going to go pretty bonkers with the weight reduction on the formula. It won't be as extreme as my 93, but I'm hoping 3250-3400lb raceweight with and iron block and a 155lb driver.
Old 03-21-2008, 07:30 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

I have seen injectors do that in the past....kills the motor pretty quick when you first turn it over. Did you smell anything in the oil?
95 Pontiac Formula- Stock engine with ATI Procharger, Moser 12 bolt w/4:30 gears, Rossler trans, Neil Chance 4000 stall, M/T ET streets, 10.914@ 121.90mph, 1.452 60ft. GMHTP November 2010 Feature Car. Check it out at:
https://www.motortrend.com/features/...ebird-formula/
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=abZ1z...ature=youtu.be

Quick Reply: My Engine Committed Suicide Yesterday