Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help!! Cam installed, car has hard time starting now?

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2007, 02:55 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Help!! Is this a normal problem with a cam install?

Hey all, I was just curious if anyone has ever had similiar problems. I just picked my car up today from with the new cam installed, and goto start it and it is having a really hard time starting. When it turned over and started, the volts were low. On the way home, when coming to stops the volts would go down when the brakes applied. I got home, put the charger on it for about an hour and a half, it didnt quite reach full charge. I started it up to goto work, and again, hard time starting and low volts. Same stuff happened on the way to work. I left the air off because I was afriad of it dieing on me. The brake thing makes me think alternator, but when I was cruising on my way home it slowly kept creeping lower and lower which made me think its the battery. The cam is not really big, 224/228 112lsa. Battery is only a couple of months old, the alternator im not sure of, never had to replace it since Ive had the car. I just wanna fix it before my starter goes out because of this or something. Please help! All opinions and thoughts are appreciated!

Last edited by Red99TransAm; 06-08-2007 at 09:11 PM.
Old 06-07-2007, 03:02 PM
TECH Addict

Sounds like a loose ground....start checking your ground straps.
Old 06-07-2007, 10:56 PM
Launching!

To the top
Old 06-08-2007, 09:17 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by SSpdDmon
Sounds like a loose ground....start checking your ground straps.
I checked the straps and they are tight as can be. Would it possibly have anything to do with the bigger cam now? Has anyone ever experienced this before? Anyone ever had to get a high amp alternator or battery after a cam install? Im confused The car had no starting problems before the install.
Old 06-08-2007, 09:21 PM
TECH Senior Member

Its either the alternator (loosing voltage after car is started) or a bad ground. Pull the alternator and take it to autozone (I belive they check them for free)
Old 06-08-2007, 11:40 PM
TECH Addict

I'd say it's the alternator also. Do as donaimian says and check it at vatozone. I've had a couple of guys that have this problem after I install a cam in their cars, but that's before the car is tuned.
Old 06-10-2007, 01:30 PM
Launching!

Thanks alot guys, I appreciate the responses. I just went to autozone and got a new alternator anyways cuz The original is still on the car and since its a '99 I figured what the hell. I let you guys no what happens. Thanks again.
Old 06-10-2007, 08:14 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

My guess is alternator, my buddy's Z06 had to get jumped a few years back, and as soon as he started it, he drove off. sitting at the light right outside the gas station, the car almost died just idling while he hit the brakes. Wouldn't hurt to check grounds and clean them up if they look rough. good luck.

-J