Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cross Thread Oil Pan Bolt

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2007, 03:51 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Cross Thread Oil Pan Bolt

Well i got a question for you guys when i did my cam i by mistake cross threaded on of the oil pan bolts. Its the one on the drivers side right next to the one that bolts into the front engine cover, but the one i cross threaded goes into the block. I didn't have a tap set so i added 2 washers and tightened it up and it worked fine no leak or anything. I know its retared what i did, but i needed to finish since its my only means of transportation. And all this happened in October, no leaks or anything. Well i noticed my oil was low the other day and i said i might as well change it. So when i got under the car i noticed the area around bolt was all dirty like there was a leak so i figured it was that bolt. When i took a a socket to it i realized that it was loose i wanted to tighten it but wasn't sure if i would break it. I went to a local Chevrolet Dealer and asked them for the Oil Pan Bolt. The part number is *11515758* and the description *8900OLT-METR*. The bolt looks nothing like the one thats on the car now. When i looked on their computer screen it was the one of the two bolts shown for the oil pan. The other was the ones that go in the back through the transmission. Do you guys think that maybe the bolt was changed to this newer model, because maybe its more efficient or stronger? Any help woul dbe great guys. Thanks
-Joel

Photo #1: These are the bolts that I bought from the dealer that they said was for the oil pan.

Photo #2: This is my situation and what the bolts that came on the car look like.

Last edited by 2000Hawk; 06-09-2007 at 04:22 PM.
Old 06-09-2007, 06:12 PM
TECH Addict

Also would you guys know if the bolts are Metric or Standard?
-Joel
Old 06-09-2007, 06:52 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Pull a bolt from the motor, compare thread pitch, width, and threaded length, if it matches your good to go. Probably just went with a different supplier and they look a little different.
Old 06-09-2007, 06:56 PM
TECH Addict

Could i pull out the one that been cross threaded or since its damaged it will mess up the measurements?
-Joel
Old 06-09-2007, 07:24 PM
Teching In

the pan bolts are 8mmx1.25. pull the old one and chase the threads with a tap or your going to have the same problem. its the aluminum blocks threads that are spunt, not the steel bolts threads. also pick the old sealent out of the bolt hole so as not hydro- force a crack in the block.

metric bolts will have a number like 9.8 cast into the head and standard bolts will have slash lines to indicate hardness.

Last edited by raejenls1; 06-09-2007 at 07:29 PM.
Old 06-09-2007, 07:46 PM
TECH Addict

Well these look like they have a 10.9 embedded in the head, and they are actually 13mm. The computer screen only showed this bolt and the rear ones that go through the tranny. I asked them for the bolts that bolt the oil pan to the block, and this is what they gave me. I looked through my shop manual and i can find the bolts, but i can't seem to find their part numbers.
-Joel
Old 06-09-2007, 09:08 PM
Teching In

9.9, 10.9, 12.9, 14.9, are all hardness ratings on metric fastners. bolts are not measured by socket size or head size. their measured by thread diamater, which in your case is 8mm with 1.25mm between threads, hence 8 x 1.25. gm used alot of fastners with small sized heads for weight savings. replacment hardware is bulk stock for this kinda design requirment. now if it was for say, a rod bolt then i'd be worried.

for the record i like to kick the guy who came up with this idea right in the jimmys for everytime i had to pound a smaller sized tool on to get a rusty/striped one out.

don't worry about the different size heads. when you pull out the old one you'll find the thread size is the same. chase the threads in the block, pick out the old sealer from the bolt hole and put the new bolt in.
Old 06-10-2007, 12:33 PM
TECH Addict

Hopefully its the correct size, thanks.
-Joel

Quick Reply: Cross Thread Oil Pan Bolt