Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

PLEASE HELP! Broke a bolt off in the end of my crank!

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2007, 12:15 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by shooter
What happend??? I read this last night and i'm interested to hear how it all turned out??? I hope for the best as I'm getting ready to install a powerbond here shortly!!!!

I took the engine to a place called Apollo EDM, and they were able to remove the bolt, without damaging the crank or the rest of the engine.

Few words of advice on the powerbond:
1: DO NOT USE A LONGER BOLT GET THE THREADED ROD
2. Go buy a brake cylinder hone, put some oil on it, and buzz the inside of the pulley
3. See if you can get your hands on an ATI crank pinning kit, you will thank me later
4. Stick the pulley in the oven at 235 degrees for 25-30 minutes. It should slide most of the way on and be really easy to seat after that.
5. DO NOT reuse your old crank bolt.
Old 06-30-2007, 01:23 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Mike94ZLT1
I took the engine to a place called Apollo EDM, and they were able to remove the bolt, without damaging the crank or the rest of the engine.

2. Go buy a brake cylinder hone, put some oil on it, and buzz the inside of the pulley
3. See if you can get your hands on an ATI crank pinning kit, you will thank me later
4. Stick the pulley in the oven at 235 degrees for 25-30 minutes. It should slide most of the way on and be really easy to seat after that.
what you mean buzz the inside of the pulley?
i just planned on heating the pulley , then gettin it on there with my old crank bolt then puttin in a new one.
Old 06-30-2007, 08:08 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Mike94ZLT1

Thanks for the info brother!!!
Old 06-30-2007, 08:54 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by santiago
what you mean buzz the inside of the pulley?
i just planned on heating the pulley , then gettin it on there with my old crank bolt then puttin in a new one.
I mean use a hone on the inside diameter of the pulley... I spoke with powerbond when this happened, I had made some measurements and found that there was NO WAY IN HELL that pulley was going on. They informed me that some were made with the holes too small, and to take an air grinder to it. That sounded like a stupid idea so I got an $8 brake hone from sears and it worked like a charm. My crank is pinned so if I made it a hair too big, no big deal.
Old 06-30-2007, 09:00 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

And yet someone on CF asked about installing the pulley, I showed a photo of the threaded rod tool I made and then someone else came in and said to just use a longer bolt that a threaded rod tool wasn't necessary. It's like swimming against the tide. So many guys have run into big problems and yet there a 100's of threads out there recommending to just use a bolt.

Glad it all came out OK for you

Quick Reply: PLEASE HELP! Broke a bolt off in the end of my crank!