Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

MS4 and stock stalled A4???

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2007, 07:12 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by N4cer
A stock car with stall runs 7.6's? With a normal, everyday guy driving? That's impressive. Best I got on street tires with heads/cam was 7.9 in my M6. You sure you're talking REAL numbers and not internet numbers?
8.0 with stall, ls6 intake, lid, and catback. Stock manifolds, cats, y-pipe, pulley, and water pump.
Old 07-31-2007, 07:25 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by black00ssFL
8.0 with stall, ls6 intake, lid, and catback. Stock manifolds, cats, y-pipe, pulley, and water pump.
Exactly. Modded beyond a stall and still 0.4 slower than he was saying. Thanks for the backup.
Old 07-31-2007, 07:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

And that time is about one of the quickest I've seen for the limited amount of mods. 7.6 is not possible on a stock car with just a stall.
Old 07-31-2007, 09:21 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by crazyjoe
Thanks man, that's the kind of answer I was looking for. I'm sure it wouldnt be anywhere close to stock, but as long as it would run. I'm surprised your buddy was able to drive his car without a tune, impressive. Did your buddies have any track times with the stock-stall and MS4 (before and after??)
Dude, 20 people told you not to, and then you heard what you wanted to hear and you seem all for it. It seems like you had your mind made up before you even posted. Take it with someone who made the stupid mistake of camming and not stalling first. It drove like ****. It ppulled at stop lights, it lunged when i put it in drive or reverse. It was just horrible. Not, to mention that it was slower than **** off idle. Do yourself a favor and get the stall, you will love the stall and thank us all.
Old 07-31-2007, 09:28 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by bigman
Dude, 20 people told you not to, and then you heard what you wanted to hear and you seem all for it. It seems like you had your mind made up before you even posted. Take it with someone who made the stupid mistake of camming and not stalling first. It drove like ****. It ppulled at stop lights, it lunged when i put it in drive or reverse. It was just horrible. Not, to mention that it was slower than **** off idle. Do yourself a favor and get the stall, you will love the stall and thank us all.
If u read back, he posted this for a friend, his car is already modded and knows what to expect but his buddy wanted to simply know if it was possible to drive on a stock stall with an MS4..

For those posting times.....u have to take into account different cars will react different to different mods and where u run the car has alot to do with what kinda times ur gonna pull....My best 1/8th is 8.37 with the mods in my sig but im running with 5500+ DA's.
Old 07-31-2007, 09:36 PM
Super Hulk Smash

Received 138 Likes on 115 Posts

I read this a few days ago. I just decided to post now, but I don't know if this was mentioned - don't recall that it was.

An MS4 will simply NOT work with a stock stall. But how can that be, I don't care about track times. I want stock driveability. That's fine, but the MS4 is not going to give you stock drivability. And it's not even that it will blow huge *** under 2k. It's that it won't stop at a stop light or roll forward under it's own power or even idle on a hill. Forget the surging and bucking at 40 mph right before lock-up when the engine wants to be at 1500 RPM (in traffic this is not uncommon) and realize that the car simply will not operate with the MS4 and a stock stall.

To have a cam over really 220 duration, you need a looser converter for the car to operate in traffic or a parking lot. Too tight of a stall will keep the RPMs down too far and the cam will literally fight you all the way. You'll burn up your brakes at the very least trying to reign it in.

Go with a Yank 2800, ProTorque 2400, Yank SS3200, or a Vig 2800 if you don't want a stalled feel. With the big cam, the bigger stall will help more than hurt drivability. Or, simply go with a smaller cam. An XE-R 220/220 112 could be made to work.
Old 08-01-2007, 09:21 AM
On The Tree

Ifsomeone said it will work fine, discount whatever he or she says in the future. A bolton car with a converter is much nicer to drive,and faster, than anyones stock converter car with a 240 dur cam
Old 08-01-2007, 02:17 PM
TECH Regular

Everyone can rest easy now, he's not going with this cam. He decided against it, going with a much smaller cam and gears for now, until he can afford a stall. I still appreciate all the feedback. So, we can stick a fork in this thread 'cause it's done.

Joe.
Old 08-01-2007, 02:19 PM
11 Second Club

For the price of putting a cam in, he can buy a nice stall.
Old 08-01-2007, 05:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by crazyjoe
Everyone can rest easy now, he's not going with this cam. He decided against it, going with a much smaller cam and gears for now, until he can afford a stall. I still appreciate all the feedback. So, we can stick a fork in this thread 'cause it's done.

Joe.
He does know that for the price of the cam and supporting valvetrain mods, gears, and install on the gears (and cam if he doesn't do that himself) will be MORE than a decent stall. I've personally done a converter myself with handtools and jacks, no lift. It's not fun, but not impossible. I'm not trying to argue with anyone, but PLEASE tell him that ANYONE that has EVER done a stalled converter will say that is THE FIRST mod you should do to an auto car....including me! He will have more bang for the buck in terms of driving excitement with the stall over the gears/cam