Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

MTI 2E/X1 or AFR 205/TR 230/224

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2007, 10:11 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default MTI 2E/X1 or AFR 205/TR 230/224

I am looking at doing a H/C install on my 02 Z28 by October. My car is a DD, M6 with current mods: LT's, high flow cats, air lid, custom CB.

Peak numbers are not that important to me but I would like about 425 or more with 390 + TQ. More importantly I want to maintain drivability. What I mean by driveability is NO surging, NO bucking, NO coughing, NO sputtering in lower RPM range. I live in H-Town so A/C is a must. A choppy idle is a plus. I want low end TQ from 2,500 RPM and up.

I have been doing some research and have come to a near decision between the MTI 2e/X1 (230/227 lsa 112) or the AFR 205/TR 230/224 lsa 111

I know that the cams are nearly identical; however, I was wondering if the 111 lsa of the TR cam would move the powerband down any compared to the 112 lsa of the X1.

Now for the decision on the heads. I have heard nothing but good reviews for the MTI's and the AFR's. what are the differences? Which is better for my application? I was also wondering if the X1 is ground to match the 2E heads? BTW, MTI will more than likely be doing the install and tune.

Would the addition of a FAST 90 mm intake kill the low end TQ in a combo such as this?

sorry for all of the questions, all imput is appreciated.
Thanks,
Jason
Old 07-28-2007, 12:30 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Out of them to heads that you are cosidering I would probably go with the MTI heads, I had AFR on my 1996 Camaro that I bought brand new and they hurt my car. Im looking at thte DARTS but I no that isnt in your choices. Good Luck
Old 07-28-2007, 01:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

The Aftermarket AFR heads will make more power than the ported stock castings that MTI uses for its 2E heads if all else is equal
Old 07-28-2007, 01:54 PM
TECH Senior Member

this is gonna be interesting!! because i was gonna go with the MTI 2E/X1!! but i know alot of people are gonna say the AFR/TR setup because the afr. lots of people will say that mti stuff is outdated, they might not show the highest numbers on the dyno but they do make fast cars though. i would also like to hear more from people whos experienced both!! im pretty sure mti can make there heads flow as good as the afr heads. another thing, is mti has been around for a very long time.. so im sure there stuff works.
Old 07-28-2007, 02:15 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by TXZ28LS1
this is gonna be interesting!! because i was gonna go with the MTI 2E/X1!! but i know alot of people are gonna say the AFR/TR setup because the afr. lots of people will say that mti stuff is outdated, they might not show the highest numbers on the dyno but they do make fast cars though. i would also like to hear more from people whos experienced both!! im pretty sure mti can make there heads flow as good as the afr heads. another thing, is mti has been around for a very long time.. so im sure there stuff works.

That is why I posted this. In my search I found a lot of guys saying that MTI is "outdated". They have been around for over 10 years now, and what they do really works, and I don't see how "fast" gets "outdated". The big numbers are nice to show off, but I want a car that FEELS STRONG throughout the powerband.

I talked with Zach this morning and he stated that the 2e heads flow better than the AFR's.

I will be taking advantage of MTI's cam special. I will add the heads at a later date.

Jason
Old 07-28-2007, 02:35 PM
TECH Senior Member

zach actually posted dyno results of the mti 2e/x1.!! im sure hell see this thread and drop more info. i know wilwaxu is ripping 10's with the mti setup.. and i also would like to know more bout mti being outdated and ther are far better stuff out there.. plus one thing i know is mti is pretty conservative. they dont want to overdue any setup for the customer which is cool. i called zach last time, and he suggested the mti 2e/ r1 combo.
Old 07-29-2007, 02:50 AM
TECH Fanatic

By no means was I stating that MTI was outdated. The X1/2E combo is a very potent/proven combo and would probably be within 5-15hp of the X1 and AFRS. I was only stating that the AFR cylinder heads are a superior design to every stock ported ls1 casting I've seen to date. If your in the price range of the 2E heads your just a few bones shy of one of the best overall performing heads released for a 346ci LSX vehicle. I am not discrediting MTI at all they are one of the leaders in the GM performance for as long as I can remember and will be for years to come
Old 07-29-2007, 04:19 AM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

If it were my money I'd go with the AFR's and a tr224. You want torque and power under the curve and its the quintisentional cam for just that.
The AFR's are just superior, not much can be said about it.
Stock casting vs an aftermarket considered the best in the business out of the box head.

MTI is not outdated, but AFR is a better head.