Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Which TSP H/C package would you choose?

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2007, 11:53 AM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'll have #'s for my TSP/Pat G 383 Friday..
Had a nasty oil consumption issue..adding breathers seemed to help..
I'm going to do a before & after comparison on the FAST 90 ( ported vs un ported)
Old 08-06-2007, 02:27 PM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Jason 98 TA
Wow I had no idea we had poor attention to detail. We use the BEST cnc valve job system available! I believe AFR is the only company that even offers LS heads that feature a cnc valve job system like our Newen.

My heads came with burrs in the spark plug holes and elsewhere. There was slag, lose and othwerwise in the water jackets and in other places on the head itself. It has sharp edges that cut you just by handling the head. And this is the expensive Terminator head. I had to buy a chaser from NAPA to clean out the threads on the spark plug holes. The 5.3's had a retainer stuffed into the waterjacket and really needed a thorough going over before installing.

Thats quality control, not an expensive valve machine.
Checkout some of the dyno results in the dyno section.

460rwhp heads cam with ls6 stage 1 heads & ls6 intake:
https://ls1tech.com/forums/dynamometer-results-comparisons/760837-tsp-prc-ls6-ms3-460rwhp.html

494rwhp Terminator head combo with the intake that you claim makes no additional power on terminators
https://ls1tech.com/forums/dynamometer-results-comparisons/760089-ryans-performance-texas-speed-494rwhp-na.html

That's just what's currently on the first page, but I think you guys get the idea.

Here's the bottom line:

We pay so much attention to detail that our cylinder heads valve depths are checked to within .0004"! We also build a valve job with virtually no run out! Tell me how many cylinder head shops on ls1tech can tell you that?

Checkout www.newen.com & http://www.newen.com/automotive/pdf/...06-CLAM-GB.pdf
for more information on the valve job that goes into EVERY SET of PRC cylinder heads.

I guess even cylinder head only shops feel they need to bad mouth PRC products in a attemp to gain some market share. Honestly all that does is let me know we're doing the right things!!
Yes you guys get good results, didnt say you didnt did I. I'm not wrong in anything I've said Jason. It's all been accurate.

Having the tools to do the job is one thing. Having the knowledge is another..., having attention to detail is yet another ...... have you fixed the port on the Terma to not be a mismatch with a FAST 90 yet???

I am very qualified to make the statements I have made I have gone through two sets of TSP/PRC heads and now have AFR's.

I am trying to be as nice about it as possible but I have to state facts.

The quality of the head (not talking about just a port or valve job) is night and day compared to what I got from TSP when compared with AFR.
I will still shop at TSP as you guys have the best prices but I'm not going to blow smoke up anyones skirt here.

As far as your I added a FAST 90 to my TERMs and made absolutetly no more power than with an ls6 intake. Explain that? hi lift cam, best of all worlds and a 90 did nothing to the combination. You guys didnt have much to say about that.

I'm very happy with some of the stuff I got from Texas Speed and their pricing is great. Other things I'm not so happy with.

Lets just say I've seen the light

Attention to detail starts at the sale and ends at the customer saying I'm happy. Your idea of attention to detail is only part of the big picture. It will come for you guys I'm sure, your just not there yet. You guys seem to do the right thing when you have a product go bad, ie ls6 head breakage, so I know there's a good business concience there.

Honestly though when you see what you get from AFR and Patriot as far as "customer service", you guys have some work to do.

Last edited by 99blancoSS; 08-06-2007 at 02:46 PM.
Old 08-06-2007, 02:44 PM
TECH Addict

i just installed a PRC stage 1/torquer 3 on my car. a buddy of mine gave me a hand putting the heads on the block. he is far more familiar with performance parts and cars than i am and he had great things to say about the port job done on those heads. he was thoroughly impressed with how well everything was ported, especially given the price of those heads. the flow numbers at high lift are a great testament to that as well
Old 08-06-2007, 04:32 PM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

deathcharge: Give me a call when you get a chance and we'll take a look at a couple options you can go with. We can get you setup with a package that will work just as well as the big name manufactures, more personalized tech help, and a company that fully stands behind their products. I can also assure you that our customer service is second to NO ONE!

Chris, I don't know what you want us to do about the problem you had with the retainer in a 5.3 head from 2 years ago. The guy who screwed that up was fired long ago. I can't tell you why the intake didn't pick up. Seems like they have worked on every car that I have seen on here and that we have installed at TSP... There are a million possibilities that could come into play. Although we try, we simply can't trouble shoot every single problem over the phone. We never heard from you anymore about it, so I guess we assumed you had it lined out. But seeing all the TSP hating lately, I guess you didn't or have some other reason for bashing.

Jon
Texas Speed & Perf.

Last edited by Jon@Texas-Speed; 08-06-2007 at 05:12 PM.
Old 08-06-2007, 05:27 PM
10 Second Club

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

i guess the planets were in alignment when i installed my cam, heads, and intake,433 rwh on a mustang dyno-probably close to 450 on a dynojet ormaybe more from what i read.It pulls hard imo,10.70 ,124 great combo! Not the bigest or the best,but for the money spent it runs hard.If your gonna order anything from TSP,CALL THEM AND TALK TO THEM.,thats the best advive anyone could give ya.Then call patriot.afr,ect.ect. Good Luck on your car.Ls6 heads and the torquer would be my call for your intentions,450 hp is doable.dont get caught up in dyno numbers,its gonna add a lot of hp.

Last edited by NHRAFORMULA00; 08-06-2007 at 06:59 PM.
Old 08-09-2007, 09:00 AM
FormerVendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Jason 98 TA
Wow I had no idea we had poor attention to detail. We use the BEST cnc valve job system available! I believe AFR is the only company that even offers LS heads that feature a cnc valve job system like our Newen.
Here's the bottom line:

We pay so much attention to detail that our cylinder heads valve depths are checked to within .0004"! We also build a valve job with virtually no run out! Tell me how many cylinder head shops on ls1tech can tell you that?
Just to let everyone know... We have had our Newen Contour BB since last year. To insure the quality of our valve jobs, we do all of our valve guide work on our Newen. There is no additional charge associated with this work. At Patriot it is simply part of the great quality and service you expect while getting the price you deserve.
Attached Thumbnails Which TSP H/C package would you choose?-newen4.jpg  
Old 08-09-2007, 09:47 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Who ever you go with and whatever you decide to buy in terms of heads...make sure you have them flowed before putting them on the car!!!!!

Trust me, I know. The hard way....

I'm on my third set of heads from one of the companies mentioned in this thread and while service in the past has been outstanding, I have to admit I'm a bit disappointed in this last go around.

Long story short, I bought a set of heads from them, put them on the car, had a lifter fail and had to tear it all down. While I had it apart, my tuner recommended that I have the heads milled to straighten them up and get them flowed while I was at it.

Needless to say, they didn't flow anywhere near where the manufacturer claimed. And they were flowed on an identical bench at a very reputable shop that is also mentioned in this thread.

Called up the company, sent them back, they worked them over and returned them. Last weekend I had them flowed again by another reputable shop, on another identical flow bench, and while the numbers were slightly better, they still weren't the big numbers claimed by the manufacturer.

So, 2.5 months later, I'm still not much better off...but, I learned a very valuable lesson about checking out what you buy and who you're dealing with.

For now they're going back on the car until I can step up to a high quality aftermarket head.

Good luck!
Old 08-09-2007, 10:12 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by marv
Who ever you go with and whatever you decide to buy in terms of heads...make sure you have them flowed before putting them on the car!!!!!

Trust me, I know. The hard way....

I'm on my third set of heads from one of the companies mentioned in this thread and while service in the past has been outstanding, I have to admit I'm a bit disappointed in this last go around.

Long story short, I bought a set of heads from them, put them on the car, had a lifter fail and had to tear it all down. While I had it apart, my tuner recommended that I have the heads milled to straighten them up and get them flowed while I was at it.

Needless to say, they didn't flow anywhere near where the manufacturer claimed. And they were flowed on an identical bench at a very reputable shop that is also mentioned in this thread.

Called up the company, sent them back, they worked them over and returned them. Last weekend I had them flowed again by another reputable shop, on another identical flow bench, and while the numbers were slightly better, they still weren't the big numbers claimed by the manufacturer.

So, 2.5 months later, I'm still not much better off...but, I learned a very valuable lesson about checking out what you buy and who you're dealing with.

For now they're going back on the car until I can step up to a high quality aftermarket head.

Good luck!
If you had such a bad experience with the heads then why not mention the MFG name?
Old 08-09-2007, 10:21 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by stevegrizzle
If you had such a bad experience with the heads then why not mention the MFG name?
Not really trying to call anyone out here...just trying to say that everyone should have their stuff checked out to ensure it's really what you think you're buying.

Overall the company I'm referring to has been very helpful since I started dealing with them. Just this last go around with the flow numbers and service received during that time was what dissapointed me a bit.

But, something to remember is that this can happen with anyone. No need to bash - just another lesson learned.
Old 08-09-2007, 01:01 PM
TECH Regular

Not really trying to call anyone out here...just trying to say that everyone should have their stuff checked out to ensure it's really what you think you're buying.

Overall the company I'm referring to has been very helpful since I started dealing with them. Just this last go around with the flow numbers and service received during that time was what dissapointed me a bit.

But, something to remember is that this can happen with anyone. No need to bash - just another lesson learned.
Did the vendor fix the problem?
What casting were they?
I had a similar experience..But it was resolved with out too much hassle.
Old 08-09-2007, 02:37 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by BYE RICE
Did the vendor fix the problem?
What casting were they?
I had a similar experience..But it was resolved with out too much hassle.
Well, the heads were returned and inspected. At the time, the vendor claimed they flowed as expected (or according to the numbers claimed on the website). Once they came back and I had them flowed, you could see where some blending had been done in the runners. The heads picked up a bit over the entire range, but still didn't meet the advertised numbers.

The problem was with a set of 5.3L heads.

So, long story short, I came out a little better, just not like they were advertised. Which, in all honesty, is always possible. I highly doubt every head will flow identically when compared to others. Some of the higher end aftermarket heads will probably replicate good results time and time again, but when dealing with a budget priced head, odd flow numbers are always possible. Different flow benches could lead to this as well.

I suppose the one thing that disappointed me the most was that after requesting a flow sheet numerous times, and being promised I'd get it, I still have yet to see it. This has happened a few times in the past as well.

But, that's the way it goes. Live and learn. Just glad I'm finally getting my car back together!!!
Old 08-09-2007, 02:51 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by stevegrizzle
Their listed in his sig! TSP 2.5 5.3's
Old 08-09-2007, 02:57 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by 99blancoSS
You could also look at Patriot if your trying to save money. They have outstanding customer service and would be my choice for saveing money on heads. Customer service is far far far better
Agreed! I doubt you'll see 450-500 in a stalled, stock cube A4. Id defiantly give Gunnar a call and see what they have and what people have done with MS3/MS4's.
Old 08-09-2007, 04:08 PM
TECH Regular

Well, the heads were returned and inspected. At the time, the vendor claimed they flowed as expected (or according to the numbers claimed on the website). Once they came back and I had them flowed, you could see where some blending had been done in the runners. The heads picked up a bit over the entire range, but still didn't meet the advertised numbers.

The problem was with a set of 5.3L heads.

So, long story short, I came out a little better, just not like they were advertised. Which, in all honesty, is always possible. I highly doubt every head will flow identically when compared to others. Some of the higher end aftermarket heads will probably replicate good results time and time again, but when dealing with a budget priced head, odd flow numbers are always possible. Different flow benches could lead to this as well.

I suppose the one thing that disappointed me the most was that after requesting a flow sheet numerous times, and being promised I'd get it, I still have yet to see it. This has happened a few times in the past as well.

But, that's the way it goes. Live and learn. Just glad I'm finally getting my car back together!!!
PM me your flow #'s if you don't mind.
I'd like to compare.
Old 08-09-2007, 04:51 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by Jon@Texas-Speed
deathcharge: Give me a call when you get a chance and we'll take a look at a couple options you can go with. We can get you setup with a package that will work just as well as the big name manufactures, more personalized tech help, and a company that fully stands behind their products. I can also assure you that our customer service is second to NO ONE!

Chris, I don't know what you want us to do about the problem you had with the retainer in a 5.3 head from 2 years ago. The guy who screwed that up was fired long ago. I can't tell you why the intake didn't pick up. Seems like they have worked on every car that I have seen on here and that we have installed at TSP... There are a million possibilities that could come into play. Although we try, we simply can't trouble shoot every single problem over the phone. We never heard from you anymore about it, so I guess we assumed you had it lined out. But seeing all the TSP hating lately, I guess you didn't or have some other reason for bashing.

Jon
Texas Speed & Perf.

Im running TSP PRC stage 2.5 5.3 heads and MS3, i coudnt be happier, for the price that combo cannot be beat, performance is awesome.

As for TSP's attention to detail and customer service, a very good friend of mine very recently had problem with an older set of TSP heads (Pre CNC machine, Jon will know what im talking about) and Jason@TSP IMO handled everything really well, took care of my friend and now all is good, Im very happy with their service!
Old 08-09-2007, 04:55 PM
Teching In

Default Heads come w/ actual flow sheet?

So, it's common practice for the head vendors to supply the flow sheet on the actual heads you're buying, not just typical #'s?
Old 08-09-2007, 07:07 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by bwana
So, it's common practice for the head vendors to supply the flow sheet on the actual heads you're buying, not just typical #'s?
Yes..At least it was when I dealt with Lingenfelter.
They gave me flow sheets for MY ported 805's.
The only info I didn't have was the CC size or port volume..
CC size is pretty important when choosing a cam...
TSP says they will furnish flow #'s for additional $$..
I think it's like 50 bucks..Whatever it is..get it done.Take the guess work out of it.
Old 08-10-2007, 12:05 AM
10 Second Club

I wouldn't say that's worth much. No offense to TSP, but using a flow sheet for heads that were flowed by the company selling them isn't a very valid form of proof. You need independent flowbench testing for the numbers to mean anything.
Old 08-13-2007, 08:53 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Z'mnypit
Their listed in his sig! TSP 2.5 5.3's
Haha...I was waiting for someone to notice that...
Old 08-13-2007, 09:51 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I checked the cylinder heads in question here at our shop.

The cylinder heads flowed right at 300cfm @ .600" lift here at our shop. I completely disassembled the heads, cleaned them completely, and decked them to fix the screwed up decking that the customer did to them prior to shipping them to me.

Those cylinder heads flowed within 8 cfm of what a brand new set flows on my bench. For a used cylinder head I think they worked just fine. I've recently tested a new LS6 head on both our flow bench & another local 1020 bench with very compareable results.

You guys can read around on ls1tech, there's tons of people online that have independently flow tested our cylinder heads with great results!

I guess I learned one thing today, you can checkout cylinder heads for free, clean them for free, fix Patriot's questionable decking on them for free, flow them for free, and ship them for free. All of these things don't mean that a customer has no problem bashing your product even though you did everything you could to show them that they work properly.

I'll keep doing exaclty what we've been doing & great results will keep posting up in the dyno section. The issue is I can't be the flow bench opperator anywhere across the country. If you don't setup the port entrance properly then your just asking for the cylinder head to not flow properly & backup early....

QUOTE=marv]Haha...I was waiting for someone to notice that...[/QUOTE]
404cid Stroker, 67mm Twins
994rwhp/902lb ft @ 22 psi (mustang dyno) www.Texas-Speed.com