Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

TEA 5.3L heads are here, flow #'s inside

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2003, 11:53 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: TEA 5.3L heads are here, flow #'s inside

I HAVE SET OF TEA 5.3 STAGE 1.5 HEADS AND I HAD THEM FLOWED ON A SUPERFLOW AND AT 550 LIFT THEY ONLY FLOWED 275 INTAKE AND 197 EXHAUST AND AT 600 LIFT THE INTAKE DROPPED TO 260 FLOW.WHATS UP WITH THAT.IS THIS NORMAL FOR A INDEPENDANT BENCH OR DID I GET SCREWED ON THE HEADS.
I'm certain you talked to Brent or Brian after your independant flow test. What was their response or explanation?

I saw a post a while ago where someone had their brand new TEA 5.3's flowed on a independant bench. The intake numbers were 303CFM compared to 300CFM that showed on his flow sheet from TEA.
That is intake numbers not exhaust,everyone I talked to uses a pipe for exhaust flow.TRUTH HURTS
Old 05-24-2003, 12:58 PM
TECH Veteran

Brent admitts his flows will be less on a SUPERFLOW bench... everyone accussing him of ripping people off shoulda call him. Rumors get you know where!

but i give a rats **** about flows... looks at the et's they are running compared to the GTP cars and etc..!! 11.2-3-4's?? Its gonna be interesting this year cause cars already running 11.5-6's got those heads... so there should be some 11.0 cars on those 275 flow readings some commented about

also i guy i know with GTP heads flows 310 or something on GTP's bench, but only 289 on a SF bench.. just food for though!!!! Every head will flow different on different benches.. its factors that cause the difference also!
Old 05-24-2003, 01:13 PM
SB
On The Tree

I would love to see GTP flow numbers also, but those must be confidential for some odd reason. All those MTI/GTP cars out there, but when you do a search you only see TEA, AS, and some patriot flow numbers.

I'm sure if you talk to Fireball, he will be more than happy to show you the flow numbers for his 5.3 gtp heads because I know he had Joe Prince flow them. As a matter of fact, I believe he posted the numbers as well. If I recall correctly he dynoed around 445rwhp which isn't to shabby.

You can also give Jason a call at Fbody Central and he can give you the flow numbers for my ls1 gtp stage II heads. I'm a firm believer in you get what you pay for but hey everyone has a budget so what are you gonna do?

steve
Old 05-24-2003, 02:30 PM
TECH Veteran

SB, i know what fireball flowed Also, ask him what they flowed on a SF bench and see if they are the same numbers

all im saying is look at the ET lists.. GTP's are on top(sorry for using GTP 24/7 but they are the big name brand i know of). TEA's are sorta new and so far have done very well. I bet their will be a few 10sec NA cars this year on TEA's. If not 10's then 11.0's for sure

Fireball, if ya read this post your numbers and then the numbers on a SF bench. I bet there was a little difference in the flows. I dont even think they made 290 or 300@600, but look at the HP he dynoed..

but everyone can race flow numbers all day... the only thing that counts to me is at the track

SB, what were you flows in the 500-600 range? Im just curious. I think most GTP's flow 306-310 on their bench at 600?
Old 05-24-2003, 02:52 PM
Restricted User

No Juice, You have a nice suggestion and I bet if you contact one of the companies that port, they might listen. It would cost them very little to injest epoxy into the bottom of the boss, let dry, port and have a smooth transition and not have to have a "unknowing" customer do the work. For those that disagree, thats your opinion, but as effort to make a good business better this would be one inexpensive, reliable way to do it. I never knew about the boss' either, but I know I would be on here in heartbeat if heads showed up like that. Just makes sense from a business standpoint-either: A) Notify the customer when orderig that for an $20 they do this and ensure a smooth transition, or B) Let the customer know so they dont shiat themselves when they see it and have to worry if this "Silicone" mod is the right thing to do!

BTW, Nice flow #'s hope it equates to better track times proportioately.

Charlie.
Old 05-24-2003, 04:52 PM
TECH Resident

I HAVE SET OF TEA 5.3 STAGE 1.5 HEADS AND I HAD THEM FLOWED ON A SUPERFLOW AND AT 550 LIFT THEY ONLY FLOWED 275 INTAKE AND 197 EXHAUST AND AT 600 LIFT THE INTAKE DROPPED TO 260 FLOW.WHATS UP WITH THAT.IS THIS NORMAL FOR A INDEPENDANT BENCH OR DID I GET SCREWED ON THE HEADS.

how good was the bench you were on? did they flow the head properly?

When flowing a head on the intake side the intake must be clayed. and all holes must be pluged.
Then you veryify that the head doesn't leak ( let air by with the valve closed. Then you flow it all valve lifts.
I have seen people say that there doesn't flow what it is suppossed to then you ask for .100 numbers and such and they say well we just flowed it wide open no valve.

Have them flow a stock head also. Compare the gains from a stock head to your ported head.

As far as the guy with patriot heads. You are advertising for a non sponser and dissing on a sponser. I think thats bullshit.
Your not to far away and I will be at the north vs south shootout next weekend in Bowling Green. If you have a naturally aspirated heads and cam auto. Come get your butt wore out at the track! By My TEA headed car!
Old 05-24-2003, 05:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

hey 98taauto, you keep saying you want track #'s, but you have to remember, there is weight difference in cars and car setups that you just cant compare. A flow # will help give an idea for what kind of hp you will get. But ET is still very important. but you need to look into the car setups more when you look into et.s

As far as Tea heads flowing lower on a superflow bench, then damn i would definatly go with Absolute Speed or Joe Prince over them. both of them use superflow benches and flow the same or better then tea's #s (on tea's bench). so then AS and JPR would make more power.
Old 05-25-2003, 12:37 AM
TECH Apprentice

[quote]

As far as the guy with patriot heads. You are advertising for a non sponser and dissing on a sponser. I think thats bullshit.
Your not to far away and I will be at the north vs south shootout next weekend in Bowling Green. If you have a naturally aspirated heads and cam auto. Come get your butt wore out at the track! By My TEA headed car!
that's kind of a dumb thing to say...you say your heads are better then another companies simply because they are a sponsor? you think that just cause you paid more for your heads they are better? or just in general your car is faster? i'm not dissing on you but that's just kind of a silly thing to say. his car may weight 3000 pounds to your 3400. i'm not sticking up for patriot or the guy with patriot heads. i'm just saying you have to realize that you don't have the fastest car and other people on this board can beat you. if your just crap talking though...then proceed
Old 05-25-2003, 01:10 AM
I can shift faster than you.

Here are the flow #s from my solid roller motor:

GTP stage 2 flow numbers - 5.3l heads

These were flowed in house on a Super Flow 1020 bench. The bench is ~10-15cfm lower than GTPs bench.

I have personally flowed quite a few sets of TEAs and they were around 280cfm @ .550 on the intake and ~215cfm @.700 on the exhaust. They are excellent heads for the money.

Just because a head "A" flows more than head "B" doesn't mean "A" will make more horsepower than "B" on the dyno. I have seen this countless times on the bench. Flowbenches are excellent tools, but it's not the ultimate authority in determing how a head will do on a particular motor.

Jason
Old 05-25-2003, 01:30 AM
TECH Resident

I just told what class I will be in. It is at a race with rules that most people can do.I am sure there are faster cars out there. I just hope some show up to the race and we will see who has the best heads and cam setup.

we all see these amazing times posted on here from racing the clock in mineshaft air. Lets see what all of the timeslip racers can do at the same track on the same day!
I have TEA Heads, I dont work for them,I used to along time ago so I know there numbers are legit.Wh Brent L would say his numbers would be low on a superflow is beyond me.

As far as a non sponser bashing a sponser (and I take it as a bash, my heads flow this and I make this hp in thread that was about TEA is bashing or stealing the limelight IMO.

Show up at the track (it is centrally located) and show what you have don't talk about it!

In other word's I am calling out all comers in the heads up pure street n/a auto class. I will represent TEA.What better way to see who has the best heads?
Old 05-25-2003, 09:49 AM
TECH Veteran

Here are the flow #s from my solid roller motor:

GTP stage 2 flow numbers - 5.3l heads

These were flowed in house on a Super Flow 1020 bench. The bench is ~10-15cfm lower than GTPs bench.

I have personally flowed quite a few sets of TEAs and they were around 280cfm @ .550 on the intake and ~215cfm @.700 on the exhaust. They are excellent heads for the money.

Just because a head "A" flows more than head "B" doesn't mean "A" will make more horsepower than "B" on the dyno. I have seen this countless times on the bench. Flowbenches are excellent tools, but it's not the ultimate authority in determing how a head will do on a particular motor.

Jason

Jason, thanks alot for posting that! Like I said above you can see even where GTP's are in the 290's on the SF bench so yea TEA's will be in the 280's. Its +5 or 7 difference in the heads. If you are a budget builder who wants to go fast, TEA is the way to go. As far as the AS being better than TEA, i dunno. Jay told me the TEA heads flowed about the same as his on his bench. It was a toss up with me and AS. Jay has awesome heads, but i didnt see the track ET's for his heads. Hopefully some guys will have more et's for his this fall.

jason, your comment about just cause one head flows better and may not make more HP couldnt have been more true
Old 05-25-2003, 10:14 AM
9 Second Club

I decided to go with TEA Stage 1.5 Heads for my Z06 so I can keep my LS6 heads on a shelf for a possible stroker motor down the road. This was Brian's recommendation based on my current cam (C1 Hammer).

I received the heads on Friday and got them installed yesterday. Let me tell yah, night and day difference between the TEA's and the stock LS6 heads. The car pulls much harder and revs faster than before. I can't wait to get it tuned next week.

BTW- mine flowed very similar to the ones listed in the first post (301.6 CFM at .600)
Old 05-25-2003, 11:17 AM
TECH Veteran

damn, post your dynos when you get them also! 407 before the TEA heads and you said she feels stronger now
Old 05-25-2003, 11:44 AM
9 Second Club

FYI- I had Brent and Brian flow a set of stock LS6 Heads to help me make my decision.Brent told me over the phone that they flowed 258 CFM at .600 on their bench.
Old 05-25-2003, 03:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

hey 98taauto Jay has never had a set of tea heads on his bench, how about when you get yours take them over to him to flow them on his bench to compare head to head on the same bench. Now as far as flow #s being lower = less hp. it would also depend on the port volume, which as far as ive seen AS has the lowest volume. so the higher the flow the lower the port volume should equal more power, but all dynos are different all cars are different, so it is very hard to compare. That is why most go by the flow #s.
Old 05-25-2003, 05:48 PM
TECH Resident

hey 98taauto Jay has never had a set of tea heads on his bench, how about when you get yours take them over to him to flow them on his bench to compare head to head on the same bench. Now as far as flow #s being lower = less hp. it would also depend on the port volume, which as far as ive seen AS has the lowest volume. so the higher the flow the lower the port volume should equal more power, but all dynos are different all cars are different, so it is very hard to compare. That is why most go by the flow #s.
flow benchs are differnt also.
I would have him flow them also.
(he may even do them for free )
Old 05-25-2003, 10:40 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Argue flow bench numbers all day, but unless you want to drop over $2500 on a set of heads, go with TEA. I picked up over 50rwhp with the TEA S2 5.3 heads. PLUS, dropped 5 tenths in the quarter. Can you argue with that??
Old 05-26-2003, 06:20 PM
TECH Veteran

My bad, i thought it said TEA on the phone but maybe it was GTP. Im not bashing Jay or anything cause he has killer heads for the price! Him and TEA are still the best bang for buck I think. I saw all of these awesome flows from Jay's heads, but i dont see many track ET's. Hopefully they will get some killer times this fall!
Old 08-09-2003, 10:09 AM
TECH Apprentice

those are some unbelievable numbers, I missed it but was that with a stock short block or a built motor, what cubes? I would like to see what it can do in a m6 on another dyno. to bad this package is not available for those who like to do the installs themself
Old 08-09-2003, 10:22 AM
TECH Apprentice

oops, sorry the last reply was supposed to be in jprs thread, I dont know how it got in here

Quick Reply: TEA 5.3L heads are here, flow #'s inside