Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Engine Jamed, cant move pulley wheel.

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2007, 03:30 AM
TECH Resident

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Engine Jamed, cant turn pulley wheel. SLP Pump?

I stated a job I'm starting to think I should have started. Anyway, I'm doing a heads/cam swap. I'm also changing to an LS2 timing chain and an SLP oil pmp, and got a March Performance Balancer pulley.

At present the new heads are on, new cam is in. All rockers are still loose. Timing cover on. Up until yesterday I could put a ratchet on the pulley wheel bolt and manually turn the engine round, we checked one piston PTV clearance, and turning the engine was working okay.

Last night. We put on both heads, torqued down both heads, I tightened up the bolt for the harmonic balancer with the car in gear to stop it rotating.

We got to the stage of putting on the rockers, we wanted to turn the engine so we are not fighting the valve string. Took it out of gear, now the engine will not turn, either way.

Whats changed?? well heads bolts torqued down, and pulley wheel is probably on tighter.

Other mechanics say it cant be a piston to valve issue as no valves are open with rockers loose. Even if it was it would go back the other way.

Which leaves the pulley wheel. We cant get the darn thing off yet, so waiting for a tool to do it. What i think it may be is the SLP pump is pressing against the timing cover, and then the balancer pulley is pressed against that therefore no movement.

Has anyone has trouble with a 2000 LS1, with SLP pump and after market pulley?

Last edited by RedWS6 00; 09-12-2007 at 06:08 AM. Reason: Better description
Old 09-12-2007, 07:42 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

wat size cam. ur timing is off bad and the pistons are chillin with the valves. you need to pull the timing cover and check the DOT 2 DOT!!!
go by the ls1howto.com write up. the heads are fine as long as u torqued them in a sequence and to spec.
Old 09-12-2007, 08:02 AM
TECH Resident

Cam is 226/226-112 .585/.585
Its the Heads/Cam package from http://www.ws6project.com/user_stor/...dfdde030e4a0f9
They are a sponsor, in case anyone asks.

The heads are torqued down to spec and in correct order, the rocker bolts are not tightend yet, so none of the valves can be open. Used GM stock head gaskets. I've been following the LS1Howto, its a great write up.

I first thought its a piston to valve problem, but cant be if all valves are closed. The two dots do line up on the cam spocket and the bottom one.

I later read more details on the info that came with the SLP pump, it said grinding of the timing cover may be neccesary.

Last edited by RedWS6 00; 09-12-2007 at 08:12 AM.
Old 09-12-2007, 09:07 AM
TECH Fanatic

I would pull the heads to be sure nothing fell in there without you noticing - a small bolt, something like that.

Also, did you measure how far the pistons come up out of the block? What is the compressed thickness of the head gaskets that you are using?
Old 09-12-2007, 09:30 AM
TECH Resident

There was two of us putting the heads on, didn't hear anything go in, there was no bolts near the block. But I guess it may come to pulling the heads.

The gaskets are standard GM ones, are the 0.050" thick. I believe the pistons come out of the block between 0.005 and 0.015". but i dind't measure, we I turned the engine without the heads, i could see the pistons almost level with the top of the block, only just going over.

If there was something in the head like a bolt, there would have to be two, as the engine wont go backwards either.
Old 09-12-2007, 01:17 PM
TECH Regular

take the spark plus out dummy. its stupid hard to fight all that air compressing lol.
Old 09-12-2007, 01:30 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by slow95z
take the spark plus out dummy. its stupid hard to fight all that air compressing lol.
Good call on that one. But it should at least move a little one way or another. Is it just absolutely stuck with no movement either way or does it move a little but not enough to turn over?
Old 09-13-2007, 02:20 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by slow95z
No plugs were in.

There was no movement at all. We had to get hire a hybrolic pulley puller which could get the aftermarket pulley off. Once that was off the engine is turning again. Somehow the pulley was stopping it, but how can you get it on too far? stock pulley back on and fully home with no problem. Engine still rotates.

Fired it up last night to check oil presure, still need to fit radiators and waterpump so only had it running for 10seconds, ol pressure good.

Thanks for all your help.