Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Severe oil consumption and smoking

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2007, 11:02 PM
Restricted User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Severe oil consumption and smoking

I have a 408 Iron stroker with a about 1,000 miles on it. At first the car would give a puff of smoke when I got on it. Well it has been getting worse. I am running Kendal 10w-40 and it is to the point right now that it is smoking at idle and pretty good under heavy accelleration and on decel. Recently I put new valve seals on and put thread sealant on the intake rocker bolts hoping that was the cause, it seems worse instead of better. My gut feeling is that I have bad rings. I am burning 1 quart of oil in about 150-250 miles.

What would cause the rings to go bad in a new motor? I have Diamond pistons and Diamond rings. Also how many times and can you hone a cylinder and put new rings in before you have to go to the next piston bore size? I currently have a 4.030 bore and this was the 2nd time it was honed.

What is the best piston and ring combo to ensure a good ring seal???

Last edited by 2001 Pewter WS6; 09-15-2007 at 08:03 AM.
Old 09-14-2007, 11:04 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What kind PCV system are you running?
Old 09-14-2007, 11:19 PM
Restricted User

Originally Posted by StevieZ
What kind PCV system are you running?
LS6 PCV with a catch can.
Old 09-15-2007, 01:31 AM
TECH Resident

Well, This does not sound good. I'm having the same problem with total seal rings. Mine is not bad on oil usage, or on power, just smokes like a house on fire on decel. Bad rings. You have to check the bore size before you hone and see how much your engine builder thinks he needs to clean up the walls.
Old 09-15-2007, 04:39 AM
12 Second Club

I had this problem with the Darts that TSP ported. I had oil sitting on top of every valve from whatever was wrong with the heads. I would pull the intake and take a look down your intake ports.

Edit, here is what I had sitting on top of my valves when I had problems with my heads...it is very obvious I had a problem.

Last edited by Galen; 09-15-2007 at 05:10 AM.
Old 09-15-2007, 05:35 AM
ЯєŧąяĐ Єl¡m¡иąŧøя ™

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Well, if it turns out you don't have oil sitting on the valves you may have a loose set of rings best case scenario. Sounds like a nitrous motor if you ask me. My Z28 would do that under load. On the dyno it would dump smoke. Maybe I never noticed it until it was sitting still, but mine were nitrous rings from Diamond along with their pistons. Just blow-by.

I am willing to bet you broke it in with 10w40 dinosaur right?
I run 10/40 in mine now and it stopped a bit. Needs the crankcase evac. It would be a little bit more of a beating on an LS1/2/6/7 due to the cast valve covers and the coil packs sitting on top, but it can be done. Here is my helping solution. May work...who knows.

Here is an electric version which looks to be a few more bucks than the Moroso/Mr.Gasket style which pulls from the header collector.

Mr. Gasket Style:

Old 09-15-2007, 06:40 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by racecar
Well, This does not sound good. I'm having the same problem with total seal rings. Mine is not bad on oil usage, or on power, just smokes like a house on fire on decel. Bad rings. You have to check the bore size before you hone and see how much your engine builder thinks he needs to clean up the walls.
Smoking on deceleration is almost never bad rings and almost always oil being drawn into the itake valve from oil seals, rocker bolts, or casting issues.
Old 09-15-2007, 07:05 AM
9 Second Club

or cheap oil....i saw this in one ls1 motor...we used cheap oil for the first 100 miles and it smoked like crazy
Old 09-15-2007, 07:39 AM
ЯєŧąяĐ Єl¡m¡иąŧøя ™

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by cablebandit
or cheap oil....i saw this in one ls1 motor...we used cheap oil for the first 100 miles and it smoked like crazy
Just like your sig?
Old 09-15-2007, 08:01 AM
Restricted User

The car runs great, it just smokes. Any suggestion on what oil I should be running? I want to try all other avenues before tearing it down. I will pull the intake and see if oil is puddling and reseal the intake bolts with black RTV this time.
Old 09-16-2007, 04:01 AM
12 Second Club

kanewter valve is the problem lol... sound slike pcv problem to me. my car loses 1 quart every 1000 miles or so...doesnt smoke or anyhtign though
Old 09-16-2007, 08:10 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 2001 Pewter WS6
I have a 408 Iron stroker with a about 1,000 miles on it. At first the car would give a puff of smoke when I got on it. Well it has been getting worse. I am running Kendal 10w-40 and it is to the point right now that it is smoking at idle and pretty good under heavy accelleration and on decel. Recently I put new valve seals on and put thread sealant on the intake rocker bolts hoping that was the cause, it seems worse instead of better. My gut feeling is that I have bad rings. I am burning 1 quart of oil in about 150-250 miles.

What would cause the rings to go bad in a new motor? I have Diamond pistons and Diamond rings. Also how many times and can you hone a cylinder and put new rings in before you have to go to the next piston bore size? I currently have a 4.030 bore and this was the 2nd time it was honed.

What is the best piston and ring combo to ensure a good ring seal???
Some times it can take a little while for the rings to seat. I have heard of it take close to 2000miles. I wouldn't worry about the rings until I got close to that... I had the same issue with my heads as far as the oil on top of the intake valves and did the same thing that you did. I saw a huge improvement but, there was still a little bit of oil there. I'll shoot you a pm if I found out anymore with the issue. I'm at 1500 miles on my new motor.
Old 09-16-2007, 08:20 AM
Restricted User

I have a catch can so I doubt the PCV is causing the issue. I will disconnect it to be sure and just run the breathers.

I just wish I knew exactly what was causing it. If I knew the rings still were trying to seat, I could deal with it. It is just embarrassing when you constantly have smoke coming out of your exhaust. I am pulling the intake this morning to see what I can find.
Old 09-16-2007, 08:50 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by 2001 Pewter WS6
I have a catch can so I doubt the PCV is causing the issue. I will disconnect it to be sure and just run the breathers.

I just wish I knew exactly what was causing it. If I knew the rings still were trying to seat, I could deal with it. It is just embarrassing when you constantly have smoke coming out of your exhaust. I am pulling the intake this morning to see what I can find.
I have a catch can with a LS6 PCV and I still smoke sometimes at high RPM. The catch can is even modified to further separate the input and output and I still land up with some oil in the intake. The consumption problem you are having may be the result of several issues.
Old 09-16-2007, 09:21 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by 1999vetteroo
Some times it can take a little while for the rings to seat. I have heard of it take close to 2000miles. I wouldn't worry about the rings until I got close to that... I had the same issue with my heads as far as the oil on top of the intake valves and did the same thing that you did. I saw a huge improvement but, there was still a little bit of oil there. I'll shoot you a pm if I found out anymore with the issue. I'm at 1500 miles on my new motor.
Thats BS. If someone tol you you have to break in your motor for 2000 miles, hes trying to buy himself a good window to see if he fucked something up. Everytime Ive heard someone say their builder told them that it came apart or ran but was a complete terd.

And no motor that drinks a quart in 200 miles is a nitrous motor, its not a motor at all, its a mesquito duster on wheels. Eliminate oil consumption thru the top end, pull the intake, then do a leakdown.

You say it runs strong, but does it tolerate normal timing without showing detonation on the plugs (dont care what knock sensors say) and doesnt it dyno well on a reputable dyno (similiar setup on our Mustang dyno w TH400 hasmade 470+ so Id expect 530-570 ona djet 6 speed) or more realistically does it trap well for what a 408 should (127-130 mph pretty easy)
Old 09-16-2007, 04:01 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by GrannySShifting
Thats BS. If someone tol you you have to break in your motor for 2000 miles, hes trying to buy himself a good window to see if he fucked something up. Everytime Ive heard someone say their builder told them that it came apart or ran but was a complete terd.

And no motor that drinks a quart in 200 miles is a nitrous motor, its not a motor at all, its a mesquito duster on wheels. Eliminate oil consumption thru the top end, pull the intake, then do a leakdown.

You say it runs strong, but does it tolerate normal timing without showing detonation on the plugs (dont care what knock sensors say) and doesnt it dyno well on a reputable dyno (similiar setup on our Mustang dyno w TH400 hasmade 470+ so Id expect 530-570 ona djet 6 speed) or more realistically does it trap well for what a 408 should (127-130 mph pretty easy)
All hail the "know it all" of all motors. No one knows $hit about motors but him everyone else in the world is full of bs. He knows every thing about every motor that was ever built......... Everyone shut up and let this guy do all the talking. Keep all of your experiences to your self
Old 09-16-2007, 04:28 PM
11 Second Club

exactly what he said and by the way i have four thousand miles on my motor if i hook up the PCV system again it starts using oil about 2 quarts in a thousand miles,thousand miles since my last oil change and still oil is in same place on the dipstick with only breathers in the valve covers.
Old 09-16-2007, 04:33 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by 1999vetteroo
Some times it can take a little while for the rings to seat. I have heard of it take close to 2000miles.
Like already stated, that is 100% B.S. It doesnt take 2k to seat rings, the rings seat not long after the engine is started and the rpms are ramped up a few times and heated.
Old 09-16-2007, 04:40 PM
OWN3D BY MY PROF!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Are the diamond rings a file to fit style? I'm not completely familiar with them.
Old 09-16-2007, 04:52 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by brad8266
Like already stated, that is 100% B.S. It doesnt take 2k to seat rings, the rings seat not long after the engine is started and the rpms are ramped up a few times and heated.
Like I stated, Some times, not every time. Some guys just can't resist the small opportunity to talk **** and misinterpret what someone is trying to say. No, it shouldn't take 2000 miles for the rings to seat. Any one who has been to a NHRA event knows this. They build motors and run them within an hour. But, this guy is thinking about possibly tearing down his motor. I don't see anything wrong with telling him to wait a little while before he does that....... Do you?

Quick Reply: Severe oil consumption and smoking