Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone running Patriot Stg 3 with MS3

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2007, 08:18 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone running Patriot Stg 3 with MS3

Wanted to know if the ls6 stg 3 patriots would work well with tsp's ms3? Any dyno/ track numbers would be great. thanks
Old 10-19-2007, 12:10 AM
TECH Resident

Well if your not running this setup on a stock bottom end I say it would work pretty well. the Stg 3's are too much for the stock bottom and the ms3 is to big for the stock bottom end with the patriot stg 2's and definelty the stage
3s. I know this because I was going to run this exact setup and found out that I was going to have ptv clearence issues so I opted for a little bit smaller of a cam.
Old 10-19-2007, 08:27 AM
TECH Regular

thats what i needed to know. Thanks. Did you still go with patriot heads? If so what cam did you end up with?
Old 10-19-2007, 11:38 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Im running Stage 3's and a smaller cam than an MS3 on TBSS and it sucks.. Power comes on like a turbo at about 5000rpm, but that only gives me a safe RPM range of about 1400rpms. Its a dog off the line. From a roll it does pretty good, but I would reccomend it
Old 10-19-2007, 06:42 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by allthrotle
Well if your not running this setup on a stock bottom end I say it would work pretty well. the Stg 3's are too much for the stock bottom and the ms3 is to big for the stock bottom end with the patriot stg 2's and definelty the stage
3s. I know this because I was going to run this exact setup and found out that I was going to have ptv clearence issues so I opted for a little bit smaller of a cam.
That is false false false. Everything about that post was wrong.

Stage 2 and stage 3 have nothing to do with ptv clearance and the MS3 will clear just fine on stock shortblock with stock heads or with patriot stage 2 or 3 heads.
Old 07-29-2008, 12:42 PM
Teching In

Bringing this back from the dead so I wouldn't have to start a new thread. I just installed a set of 59cc Patriot stage II heads with a MS3 cam on my 02 LS1. I was told that I might have to flycut my pistons. Has anyone had to do this with this setup? I can get it checked, but was just wondering if anyone has had any problems with this head/cam combo. Also, TSP said that I will need to upgrade to better pushrods, and maybe even diff. size pushrods. Is this true or are they just saying that so I'll buy more ****?

Thanks in advance guys
Old 07-29-2008, 01:22 PM
TECH Regular

^^^Definitely want to go with hardened pushrods. Wait until you can measure the pushrod length you'll need before ordering though
Old 07-29-2008, 02:48 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Full-Force
That is false false false. Everything about that post was wrong.

Stage 2 and stage 3 have nothing to do with ptv clearance and the MS3 will clear just fine on stock shortblock with stock heads or with patriot stage 2 or 3 heads.
Now saying it "will" clear is stretching it a lil. Depending on how far the heads are milled down along with what sized valves you go with will determine whether or not it will "clear". With that cam and heads you would be in alot better shape if you did fly cut.
Old 07-29-2008, 03:08 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by shaggsm3ls1
Bringing this back from the dead so I wouldn't have to start a new thread. I just installed a set of 59cc Patriot stage II heads with a MS3 cam on my 02 LS1. I was told that I might have to flycut my pistons. Has anyone had to do this with this setup? I can get it checked, but was just wondering if anyone has had any problems with this head/cam combo. Also, TSP said that I will need to upgrade to better pushrods, and maybe even diff. size pushrods. Is this true or are they just saying that so I'll buy more ****?

Thanks in advance guys
I had this same combo with GM gaskets and it cleared. I should have flycut my pistons because there is hardly any 'safe zone' in the PTV clearance..... but I ran it for a few years without any problems. No missed shifts or over-revs, but it would have only taken one to **** up my engine. I cant remember exactly what the clearance was, but it wasnt much.

I ran the 7.400 hardened 5/16? pushrods, also.....

HTH