Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Comp Cams said I had to?

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2007 | 01:37 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Comp Cams said I had to?

I ordered a ls6 stg 2.5 with no milling and 2.02 1.57 valves and a trq v.3 camshaft from texas speed . Jason told me there would be no problem with piston to valve clearance so i took his word on it and installed this setup with cos .040 gaskets ( witch he reccomened) and ls7 lifter and 7.40 pushrods . I Have posted this several time and only got some troll responces . I did recieve a few help responses but nothing in the way of someone else that is running this combo. The vavles did hit just ever so slightly . So i had it towed to the professionals i was just tired of messing with it. The took it all apart made sure everything was good and talk to jason had the heads checked for spec and everything was fine put back together with .052 head gaskets and still hitting . what is going on here ? So i called comp and the said .231 and higher has to be fly cut. Why didnt jason tell me this . KNow i am in a world of hurt from the old lady because of the bills this is racking up. I mean i have read a 1000 post on this and the said you need min. .080 intake .100 exhaust. I will be on all day so if you have any advice or input please feel free to chim in . Sorry for the spelling not my best subject.
Old 10-28-2007 | 02:22 PM
JPH
TECH Junkie

how bigs that cam? what method are you using to check ptv?
Old 10-28-2007 | 02:34 PM
Teching In

All New Torquer v.3 Camshaft!

231/234 .643"/.598" 111 LSA

The intake valves are the ones hitting? The exhaust aren't? Call Jason on Monday, he's a good guy and will help you out.
Old 10-28-2007 | 04:45 PM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think it is your duration and LSA with the heads and bigger valves. I think if you had maybe 113 or 114 LSA it would be ok. I would think there would be room still if the heads are unmilled. That cam would be very close IMO if those heads were not milled and if they are milled then that would be too close for comfort for me. I had some 62cc heads and a 232/236 cam and did not risk the install, kept my smaller cam and blew a piston anyway. Keep us up to date.
Old 10-28-2007 | 04:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Jrp1978
I ordered a ls6 stg 2.5 with no milling and 2.02 1.57 valves and a trq v.3 camshaft from texas speed . Jason told me there would be no problem with piston to valve clearance so i took his word on it and installed this setup with cos .040 gaskets ( witch he reccomened) and ls7 lifter and 7.40 pushrods . I Have posted this several time and only got some troll responces . I did recieve a few help responses but nothing in the way of someone else that is running this combo. The vavles did hit just ever so slightly . So i had it towed to the professionals i was just tired of messing with it. The took it all apart made sure everything was good and talk to jason had the heads checked for spec and everything was fine put back together with .052 head gaskets and still hitting . what is going on here ? So i called comp and the said .231 and higher has to be fly cut. Why didnt jason tell me this . KNow i am in a world of hurt from the old lady because of the bills this is racking up. I mean i have read a 1000 post on this and the said you need min. .080 intake .100 exhaust. I will be on all day so if you have any advice or input please feel free to chim in . Sorry for the spelling not my best subject.
I hate to be the bad guy here saying it, but its my opinion that all cam/head installation must verify PTV clearances. Its okay to get a recommendation, but in the end, its your engine. It doesnt take all that much more time to do. The extra hour of effort gives peace of mind.
Old 10-28-2007 | 05:32 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Michael02hawk
I hate to be the bad guy here saying it, but its my opinion that all cam/head installation must verify PTV clearances. Its okay to get a recommendation, but in the end, its your engine. It doesnt take all that much more time to do. The extra hour of effort gives peace of mind.

+1, always check it yourself
Old 10-28-2007 | 06:19 PM
TECH Resident

Default Totally Agree

But since i didnt have time i thought i would call and asked if they had a combo that i didnt have to worry about this on . Jason told me i would have no problem with ptv clearance with this setup he assured me . I mean i made it a point to ask him this.
He is still saying there is no way it should hit . That is why i called comp and the said it will hit. Seems like some where in there since it is a comp cam that Jason would have know this .
Know with me asking this and wanting a assurance that is didnt and it did does this make him responcable for the labor cost of having it redone?
Old 10-28-2007 | 06:30 PM
pdd
TECH Veteran

that sux to here man. im sure jason will chime in
Old 10-28-2007 | 06:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Jrp1978
Know with me asking this and wanting a assurance that is didnt and it did does this make him responcable for the labor cost of having it redone?
Unfortunetly not.

There are too many variables for anyone to say for sure about PTV clearances & pushrod length. Both need to be measrued at the time of the build/install.

If the installer doesnt have the time to go the extra step to verify these things, I think someone else should have done the work.

Now Jason may offer to help out with some of the cost, but I dont think he is obligated to. Im sorry man, I feel your pain, chuck it up to a learning eperience. You wont make this mistake ever again! :-)
Old 10-28-2007 | 07:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

Why doesnt someone make a sticky at the top of this page that says.CHECK YOUR PTV CLEARANCE.I dont understand why there are so many people that spend thousands of dollars in parts not to check something that is so simple to do and important.no one will be able to tell you if anything will clear,each engine is a little different,but heres a thought why not just check it.Even after putting in a thicker gasket and then again thinking it will clear without checking it.Its not Jasons fault that this happened.And if I was Jason i would tell everyone who asked me a PTV clearance ? to just check it.Its to easy to do that there is no reason not do check
Old 10-29-2007 | 01:01 AM
TECH Resident

Default Hold on

I never said that i couldnt or wouldnt. Honestly I think Jason is a hell of a guy. He does know his **** . I would never talk bad about him or his company . The only damn reason i bought from them was Jason I have read several articles that he has been in and how much he knows what he is doing. It wasnt the fact that i couldnt or didnt check it . It was the fact that i talk to patrick G and told he what i was doing and what i wanted to go with and he told me he didnt think it was gonna work with out fly cutting . So when i did call Jason I mention the fact that i was worried about this fly cutting thing. He told me not to worry. He said and told me i wouldnt have a problem . Also when i called patrick back he said if jason says it will work then it will work!
So that is why i didnt take the time to do this . I took the mans word on it. So dont give me this **** that i should off checked. Because why in the **** would he send me something that wasnt gonna work. I never second guessed the man.https://ls1tech.com/forums/generation-iii-internal-engine/758749-patrick-g-tuned-my-trak-cammed-prc-ls6-2-5-s-car-results-inside.html
same setup his **** worked?

You know and now my old lady is up my *** so bad about this **** . I just found out friday that she called Jason or John and snapped. I have been renting a car . Staying at my buddies cause we are fighting. So yeah the ******* stress level is high and bullshit i dont need. I just looking for some advice here is all. why would it work on one car and not the other.
I off to take a trazidone and have a six pack .
Old 10-29-2007 | 11:34 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Advice, reduce the 6 packs and here are your choices:

1- Flycut
2- Sell the TV3 and get a smaller cam. 228/228 112+4 will fit with no issues.
3- Work out a deal with TSP to send you the 228R cam for free.
Old 10-29-2007 | 06:21 PM
12 Second Club

I only have one other thought...did you degree the cam? Sometimes they are not ground just right and if they are off then valve events are off and you got a problem. If the other guy had the same setup maybe he degreed it or maybe his was ground differently.
Old 10-29-2007 | 06:27 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

degree, check ptv, yourself will yield the best results
advice is just that
Old 10-29-2007 | 06:41 PM
On The Tree

JRP1978,
In Your first post You said You took it to the professionals!
I must dis-agree, anyone worthy of calling themself a mechanic knows if You are having piston to valve contact with a .040 head gasket that going to a .052 won't cure anything!! Even if it was enough to make it clear, You still will not have the minimum clearances necessary!
It is time to have the car towed again! Run before they really screw up Your car.
Just My .02 cents, hope others chime in as well. Carl.
Old 10-29-2007 | 07:48 PM
OWN3D BY MY PROF!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by chopper
JRP1978,
In Your first post You said You took it to the professionals!
I must dis-agree, anyone worthy of calling themself a mechanic knows if You are having piston to valve contact with a .040 head gasket that going to a .052 won't cure anything!! Even if it was enough to make it clear, You still will not have the minimum clearances necessary!
It is time to have the car towed again! Run before they really screw up Your car.
Just My .02 cents, hope others chime in as well. Carl.
The reason he switched out the cometic .040 is because it was missing one of the three layers. So in reality it quite a bit thinner than that. He went back to the GM MLS .052 to get the car running.
Old 10-29-2007 | 09:37 PM
Banned

You've made a lot of posts about this, and not once have I seen anyone from TSP stop in an offer any advice...
Old 10-30-2007 | 03:44 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Truth is are you sure the TV3 is ground correctly. See there are variations between batches, even though ordered with same specs, they could be with as much as a 2* variance.
That is why degreing a cam (even with non adjustable timing chain) will give an idea of the true cam specs or if it is installed properly

The options I gave you are cost effective. Try to work something out with TSP, I would go with the smaller cam. The 228R will fit.

I'm not too crazy about flycutting (has to be done properly), a thicker gasket is not enough clearance.
Old 10-30-2007 | 10:22 AM
TECH Resident

Default Not sure why jason hasnt said anything

I was suppose to send the head back in the first place but the machine shop next door looked them over and said the where fine . I talk to jason and he want the heads back again. So they are taking them off and jason said he will recess the valves .
I dont know what else to do. Yes there was on two gaskets with the mls not sure why. But even with the .052 its still hit but it seem to be only one cylinder # 4 exhaust and take that back # 2 just barely made a mark. He said he can recess them .o25 To .030.
I have to say if it wasnt for bad luck wouldnt have any at all. I am kinda hoping i get to sleep in my own bed soon . lol
Thanks for the input guys . I will let you know what happens.
Old 10-30-2007 | 11:45 AM
TECH Resident

Default The thing about changing

i would change in a minute but i already have a tune for this car . I bought the tune from a guy that has same setup . Patrick G sent it to me ! I would have to buy another tune aswell.