10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Re: Meziere Street Electric WP Results and Impressions

sounds good to me. always looking for a few more ponies
Old 06-13-2003, 12:31 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am going to go ahead and get on the list. I am at that point where every little bit counts. With the 9 inch going in soon I will need to try and offset the loss to it. The price is a little steep though. But hey, its just money.

Would you guys be interested in seeing how this operates at sustained speeds over 160mph? I am prepping the car for an Open Road Race in either July or Sept. For me this would be a good alternative to the stocker.
Old 06-14-2003, 07:42 PM
TECH Senior Member

Could we get a GP on this?
Old 06-15-2003, 12:36 AM
TECH Apprentice

I hope I don't get roasted - but how do you gain HP and torque with the electric pump? I understand parasitic loss, pump cavitation, impeller speed, etc. but it just isn't very clear how an 11 amp, 13.8 VDC motor can "free up" this much power.

The electric motor only produces, at max, .142 HP !
(11amps x 13.8v x eff(70%) =watts, so 11x13.8x.7= 106 watts and 106 watts = .142 HP)

Does this really equate that a .142 HP electric motor does the same work as a 8 HP , belt driven pump?

Old 06-16-2003, 07:29 PM
Teching In

Good question. Remember what we are doing the other way. If you look at the dyno results, the mechanicaly driven pump takes X amount to drive at higher RPM. Although GM put thought into how much power it takes to drive the pump, that was not their prime concern. In this case with the inlet side thermostat and other design considerations the mechanical pump was stalling some of the water, routing alot of it back through some of the bypasses and in a mater of speaking not worried about wasting some of the power the LS1 made. To the GM guys, they are so happy with the way the LS1 makes power giving 8 to 10 of it up to drive the pump was no big deal. In turn when Dave Meziere designed this pump his plan was for the most effective use of the power we had available. The impeller design pushes water better than the OEM pump because it is designed to work at one speed only. The OEM has to deliver water flow at low RPM and then creates way too much waste at high RPM. If you saw the results posted by Paul you will see that the two pumps do not start to split horse power wise until around 3 grand. By 6 to 7K it is almost 8 HP corrected and over ten uncorrected. A stock (not built engine) with a standard size pulley would have seen much larger gains earlier. If the pulley is a 20% under drive than it would see increases accordingly. Thunder Racing prefered to use the conservative approch, and used the take out the "high and the low" and use the average. This is cool because that means if they (Thunder Racing)were to work on your car or sell you a part the average guy would get this or better. As to the question of more power with tuning the answer is yes. The reason that Pro Stockers went over 200 MPH was the fact that they could bring up the EGT's and make more power. The same can be said for this pump. If you were to tune by EGT's you could get more HP before material damage would happen.
Old 06-16-2003, 08:11 PM
Banned

Here's another pic:

http://www.thunderracing.com/images/..._ls1street.jpg

Angie
Old 06-16-2003, 08:16 PM
jmX
TECH Junkie

Now all we need to see is a pic of it on my car!
Old 06-16-2003, 08:17 PM
TECH Enthusiast

That pic did it for me as soon as i get my pos headers off and some better ones i will be getting one.
Old 06-17-2003, 03:06 AM
TECH Fanatic

Steep pricing. The preliminary results on the reverse-cooled pumps make them more attracive if I am going to shell out that kind of cash...
Old 06-19-2003, 10:50 PM
10 Second Club

Received 423 Likes on 335 Posts

what about weight? How much does it and the stock one weigh?
Old 06-20-2003, 12:13 AM
I can shift faster than you.

The pre-production version was 2lbs heavier than stock, but Meziere still has to remove some material for the final production version to get a cleaner fit. In the end, it will probably weigh the same as a stock pump.
Old 06-20-2003, 09:42 PM
TECH Regular

How long is this pump supposed to last in comparison to a stock pump? I mean if it's a street pump then it should be good for atleast 100k miles or something right? I don't see how I could trust myself with this pump in a daily driver it isn't gonna last as long as a stock one would.
Old 06-21-2003, 06:19 PM
TECH Apprentice

I have a Meziere electric pump on my LS1 Fiero... I like it . I used the remote one. which required me to make my own thermostat housing, and fitting to the block. Like others have said my car actually cools down in traffic rather than heating up. Because the flow is the same no matter what.
Old 06-21-2003, 08:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

how can this free up HP when the belt STILL rides on it???? I can see it being worth doing IF the belt weren't riding on it anymore.

so the pulley is now a fan for the motor?
Old 06-21-2003, 08:45 PM
TECH Veteran

how can this free up HP when the belt STILL rides on it???? I can see it being worth doing IF the belt weren't riding on it anymore

You're joking right?
Old 06-22-2003, 10:57 AM
TECH Senior Member

how can this free up HP when the belt STILL rides on it???? I can see it being worth doing IF the belt weren't riding on it anymore

You're joking right?
LOL. The belt still does ride on that "dummy" pulley but it doesn't DRIVE the water pump anymore. The resistance is nill so it's not sucking out any energy.
Old 06-23-2003, 01:24 AM
TECH Fanatic

I heard that these pumps don't cut it with the big cube motors. I will wait for some real world testers with big displacement before shelling out the cash.
Old 06-23-2003, 01:42 AM
TECH Veteran

Whats the deal with the reverse flow pump (when will it be out, what will it cost, and will I need to mod anything on the car other than just install the pump)?

That would keep the heads cooler and thus alow more spark advance before knock right?

note: if you want to REALLY test one of those pumps out, cut me a deal and I subject it to the Phoenix, AZ 115+ plus summer heat.
Old 06-23-2003, 02:19 AM
7 Second Club

Received 302 Likes on 202 Posts

I heard that these pumps don't cut it with the big cube motors. I will wait for some real world testers with big displacement before shelling out the cash.
If that were true the stock water pump would be very insufficient for larger cube motors considering the electric water pump here cools much better then the stocker.
Old 06-23-2003, 05:04 AM
Launching!

How long is this pump supposed to last in comparison to a stock pump? I mean if it's a street pump then it should be good for atleast 100k miles or something right? I don't see how I could trust myself with this pump in a daily driver it isn't gonna last as long as a stock one would.
This is what I want to know as well. If it's only going to last two or three years, it is nothing more than a waste of money.

Quick Reply: Meziere Street Electric WP Results and Impressions