Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Balancer removal is being a biatch!! Help!

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2007, 01:10 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Balancer removal is being a biatch!! Help!

I got the autozone 2/3 jaw puller (the 5 ton one) and I could only manage to get 2 jaws in there cause they are pretty big, anyway the dam rod is just chewing up/going into the old balancer bolt so I go a impact socket and put it between the balancer remover tool and the balancer bolt, now the balancer tools rod had screwed into the socket and now the socket is going into the balancer bolt, I need some help here!!!
Old 10-31-2007, 01:18 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by LS1C5Vette
I got the autozone 2/3 jaw puller (the 5 ton one) and I could only manage to get 2 jaws in there cause they are pretty big, anyway the dam rod is just chewing up/going into the old balancer bolt so I go a impact socket and put it between the balancer remover tool and the balancer bolt, now the balancer tools rod had screwed into the socket and now the socket is going into the balancer bolt, I need some help here!!!
sounds like autozone gave you the wrong puller.. they did that to me took it back asked for the smaller puller, brought that one home and it did the trick.. gl
Old 10-31-2007, 05:17 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Can you shoot a photo, I agree sounds like you have a monster there. Don't press on the old bolt, use a socket instead with a metal plate or washers. You don't want to put any load on the threads of the crank during removal or installation. Don't use a longer bolt to install.
Old 10-31-2007, 05:53 PM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I used the 2-3 claw 5 ton puller and put 3 washers between a socket and the puller bolt (socket against the crank). I turned the puller bolt until it was tight enough to push the washers tight against the socket. Then I started to turn it slowly keeping the washers aligned with the socket and bolt. It came off took about 15 minutes because I was taking my time...while you are in there if you use the puller to get the timing sprocket off if you are changing the timing chain too.

I did not have this picture but this is how I used the puller.

Old 10-31-2007, 10:19 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by vettenuts
Can you shoot a photo, I agree sounds like you have a monster there. Don't press on the old bolt, use a socket instead with a metal plate or washers. You don't want to put any load on the threads of the crank during removal or installation. Don't use a longer bolt to install.
Agreed!
Old 10-31-2007, 10:23 PM
TECH Junkie

for mine i used a big deep socket and put it straight on the crank, with the puller point in the socket(where the ratchet attaches). no more backin out the bolt a few turns and readjusting, and allows u to get the balancer all teh way off. bolt won't get it all the way. also, u can use a bit of heat, not alot, to get the balancer off. just evenly heat the pulley. i used a propane torch burner thing(used to burn grass and weeds and stuff).
Old 10-31-2007, 10:26 PM
9 Second Club

If you think getting it off is hard, your going to have alot of fun getting it on. I will strongly suggest the whole putting it in the oven, and baking it for 20-30 minutes. Stupid pulley removal and install took 4-5 hours, and tons of frustration for me. I did headers and exhuast on this car quicker then pulley install..

There right, you have the wrong puller. Autozone has 3 different ones. For the stock pulley the chrysler one worked the best for me.

Good luck.

Chris
Old 10-31-2007, 10:50 PM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I found it easiest to use an allen head plug. It's an 1 1/4, it worked real nice. Then to put it back on, you better use the threaded rod method or you can helicoil your crank such as your's truly.
Old 10-31-2007, 10:54 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Sideways240sx
If you think getting it off is hard, your going to have alot of fun getting it on. I will strongly suggest the whole putting it in the oven, and baking it for 20-30 minutes. Stupid pulley removal and install took 4-5 hours, and tons of frustration for me. I did headers and exhuast on this car quicker then pulley install..

There right, you have the wrong puller. Autozone has 3 different ones. For the stock pulley the chrysler one worked the best for me.

Good luck.

Chris
im with you man 100%
Old 10-31-2007, 11:53 PM
TECH Resident

Holy shiznet this is a fugin bitch!! I still cannot get this thing to even budge!! The socket is eating into the balancer bolt, I have the exact balancer remover tool as above and got it to fit onto the balancer like above, I think I may have to go drop the money to get a heat source on this bitch. Who carries the actual GM balancer remover tool??? Advance? Autozone does not have it.

Last edited by LS1C5Vette; 11-01-2007 at 12:04 AM.
Old 11-01-2007, 12:12 AM
10 Second Club

Default go back to autozone

go back to autozone and get the chrysler harmonic balancer puller it was so easy to get mine off. i heard all these horror stories about it and was worried but my budy told me about this and it came off like butter. This puller will only work on a stock pulley. and get the tool from the guy in the Fab. section for $30 to put the new one on easy as pie.
Old 11-01-2007, 12:35 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Once you get the stocker off, id go underdrive, you can install and remove those much easier plus you will free up a few ponies as well.
Old 11-01-2007, 12:37 AM
TECH Enthusiast

jeeze, just get the right tools so its only a 15 min job.(on a fbody)
Old 11-01-2007, 06:48 AM
Internet Mechanic

Originally Posted by 1999Z28
jeeze, just get the right tools so its only a 15 min job.(on a fbody)
Agreed.

Originally Posted by RoDan
Once you get the stocker off, id go underdrive, you can install and remove those much easier plus you will free up a few ponies as well.
I more then agree. I will be doing the same.
Old 11-01-2007, 07:28 AM
TECH Enthusiast

This may be a dumb question, but how are you screwing against the balancer bolt? The bolt has to be out for the balancer to come off. Maybe I'm not visualizing what your saying.
Old 11-01-2007, 08:06 AM
11 Second Club

Take the bolt out and get the plug like I mentioned. It fits perfectly in the hole and allows the balancer rod to spin freely. Another suggestion would be to take the balancer that is pictured and make it as short as possible. It comes off real easy. Maybe your's is seized, throws some penetrating lube on there and give it another shot.
Old 11-01-2007, 03:59 PM
TECH Addict

Default ar

A big set screw will work, but a BIG allen head cap screw works even better to buck the puller rod up against. I have an allen head cap screw that is only used for this purpose. You put a few large flat washers(that have an O.D. that is slightly smaller than the O.D. of the crank) under the head of the cap screw. With the cap screw and washers installed in the hole where the OEM bolt came out the puller rod is forced to be self-centering. The pulley is an interference fit so it comes off slowly, but it does come off. If it is not moving you are doing something WRONG. An underdrive pulley is an excellent suggestion.
Old 11-01-2007, 04:19 PM
On The Tree

Take the crank bolt out as suggested, and either put a big allen head set screw in the hole in the front of the crank for the puller center bolt to butt up against, or something else that will float in there without disturbing the threads in the crank. I used a socket extension of the appropriate length. I picked one that floated in the crank hole, yet stuck out enough to give the puller center bolt something to butt up against.
Old 11-01-2007, 04:25 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Sideways240sx

Good luck.

Chris
yeah after pulling mine off I had to beat the living hell out of it with a 2x4 pressed up against it with a mallet. It took me 30-45 minutes to get it just on enough to thread the bolt in without stripping it. what a bitch. anyhow make shure the pulley remover is on the little prongs on the pulley near the base of the pulley.
Old 11-01-2007, 04:28 PM
On The Tree

Get the chrysler pulley puller tool from Autozone if you have a stock balancer. It works, no joke!

Quick Reply: Balancer removal is being a biatch!! Help!