Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

PRC 5.3L Stg 2.5 and a MS3

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2007, 11:30 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Talking PRC 5.3L Stg 2.5 and a MS3

Over the last couple of days me and a few friends installed my heads and cam. When I cranked the car it made a lot of noise at first but it had good oil pressure. So I said f**# it, I have more cuts on my hands than I can count. So I drove it around the block. The loud valvetrain noise finally stopped so I ran it up to 6900 no problem. Whew it looks like its all good, but it keeps SES the Mass air, TPS, and IAC. What's up with that? I am supposed to be going to RPM Friday to get it tuned.

Last edited by PREDATOR-Z; 11-28-2007 at 12:14 PM. Reason: No cursing allowed
Old 11-28-2007, 01:01 AM
TECH Junkie

Last edited by donalr76 : Yesterday at 11:38 PM. Reason: Add Pictures
i don't see any pics
Old 11-28-2007, 02:12 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

prolly needs a tune, did you flycut any?
Old 11-28-2007, 04:40 AM
On The Tree

Not to hijack or anything but... I'd like to know what your car makes w/ this setup, I've been eyeballing it lately so I'd be very interested to know how your dyno'ing goes..
Old 11-28-2007, 06:14 AM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by donalr76
Over the last couple of days me and a few friends installed my heads and cam. When I cranked the car it made a lot of noise at first but it had good oil pressure. So I said **** it, I have more cuts on my hands than I can count. So I drove it around the block. The loud valvetrain noise finally stopped so I ran it up to 6900 no problem. Whew it looks like its all good, but it keeps SES the Mass air, TPS, and IAC. What's up with that? I am supposed to be going to RPM Friday to get it tuned.
You took a head/big cam car to 6900 without any tuning? Your playing with fire, and IMO lucky to still have a motor

All those codes should be taken care of when you get it tuned, normal stuff for a H/C car
Old 11-28-2007, 07:06 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Masochist
Not to hijack or anything but... I'd like to know what your car makes w/ this setup, I've been eyeballing it lately so I'd be very interested to know how your dyno'ing goes..
i made 447 through the old m6 and 10 bolt with all bolt ons..
Old 11-28-2007, 09:41 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Eurospec2
You took a head/big cam car to 6900 without any tuning? Your playing with fire, and IMO lucky to still have a motor

All those codes should be taken care of when you get it tuned, normal stuff for a H/C car

yeah no ****...you didnt even heat cycle the springs? Man thats crazy. I did three hear cycles on my heads before I even drove around the block, then I never went over 3500 until I was tuned.

Good luck to you though, should be a healthy set up!
Old 11-28-2007, 09:52 AM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

For the original poster, I would wait to have the car tuned before you beat on the car too much. Also, the tune will turn the codes you are seeing off.

Originally Posted by Masochist
One of our salesmen here is putting down 475 RWHP with his camaro with this setup. He has all normal off-the-shelf bolt-ons. MS3, PRC 2.5 5.3L heads, QTP LTs, True Duals, and a FAST 90/PTM combo.
Old 12-01-2007, 08:29 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Eurospec2

https://ls1tech.com/forums/texas-members/823657-blew-motor-up.html
Old 12-01-2007, 09:01 PM
On The Tree

The car had a pretty good tune by my friend BrianCZ28 on EFI Live. The car ran better than when I left Rpm. The tune Brian put in it was done by Ed Wright with a little tweaking done by BrianCZ28. I haven't pulled the motor yet but I think it dropped a valve. The car put down 405hp 400tq at RPM.
Old 12-01-2007, 09:07 PM
On The Tree

RPM told me your (TSP) heads were garbage when I told them the car should put down 425-450hp. They said you guys got those numbers on doctored cars. They said I should have bout some quality high dollar heads like AFR's or ETP's. I thought I did my research pretty well before I purchased my h/c combo. The motor came a part just driving down the road about 125 miles outside of Dallas. I called them to vent also but they don't give a **** about my budget Camaro.
Old 12-01-2007, 09:40 PM
10 Second Club

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Sorry to hear you having problems with you car!I have to disagree about the heads being called garbage.I have 40 runs on mine ,all in the 10s.It sounds like you may have a broken spring,if you did not heat cycle them.Did you degree the cam and check pistion to valve clearance?My car put down 433 on a mustang dyno though an A4,on a Dynojet that woud be around 455-460,nothing special about my set of heads.I hope you get your car back together without anything major.
Old 12-01-2007, 09:58 PM
11 Second Club

Over the last couple of days me and a few friends installed my heads and cam. When I cranked the car it made a lot of noise at first but it had good oil pressure. So I said f**# it, I have more cuts on my hands than I can count. So I drove it around the block. The loud valvetrain noise finally stopped so I ran it up to 6900 no problem. Whew it looks like its all good, but it keeps SES the Mass air, TPS, and IAC. What's up with that? I am supposed to be going to RPM Friday to get it tuned.
6900 RPM's, without heat cycling.=Bad

The car had a pretty good tune by my friend BrianCZ28 on EFI Live. The car ran better than when I left Rpm. The tune Brian put in it was done by Ed Wright with a little tweaking done by BrianCZ28. I haven't pulled the motor yet but I think it dropped a valve. The car put down 405hp 400tq at RPM.
I wonder why???

RPM told me your (TSP) heads were garbage when I told them the car should put down 425-450hp. They said you guys got those numbers on doctored cars. They said I should have bout some quality high dollar heads like AFR's or ETP's. I thought I did my research pretty well before I purchased my h/c combo. The motor came a part just driving down the road about 125 miles outside of Dallas. I called them to vent also but they don't give a **** about my budget Camaro.
Must not have done enough, to not know about heat cycling, and running the **** out of the car before it was tuned.....
Old 12-01-2007, 11:13 PM
Teching In

And just to clarify, I said the heads were a get what you pay for type of deal. I am on great terms with TSP and will not have anyone trying to ruin that between us. I said if you were looking to get 440-450 you were going to need a higher end head. I have never seen a set of those heads make 440-450 on any car at MY shop. Not saying it cant be done, but I have not seen it here. What are the CCs of the heads by the way? Does TSP request flycutting for this combo? There are many variables in why it could have dropped a valve, but I assure you that it was not from a tune.

Last edited by rpmotorsports07; 12-01-2007 at 11:28 PM.
Old 12-01-2007, 11:26 PM
TECH Resident

well i have a few things to say about rpm myself. i went up there about six months ago to have my truck tuned, yeah i know, its a truck, but it was a heads cam 5.3 with a radix supercharger. when i was there i had the same problems with them, they didnt want to hear anything i had to say, they pretty much said shut up and let them work. well thats what i did. well i got it back the first time and found out it was going lean up top, something they didnt bother to tell me, it needed bigger injectors. so i took it back and had them retune and as soon as i got back to town the converter blew up. so i went back to the video i had of the dyno pulls and found out they were locking the converter under wot!!!! not good, so they cost me $750 on a new converter! and as far as driveability goes,,, they had it idleing at 1200!! thats fn rediculous. and it would stumble and die all the time. so i had a guy in town tune it for me, and had no further issues. RPM Sucks. I will never go back and i will never tell anyone else to.
Old 12-01-2007, 11:28 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by rpmotorsports07
And just to clarify, I said the heads were a get what you pay for type of deal. I am on great terms with TSP and will not have anyone trying to ruin that between us. I said if you were looking to get 440-450 you were going to need a higher end head. I have never seen a set of those heads make 440-450 on any car at MY shop. Not saying it cant be done, but not here. What are the CCs of the heads by the way? Does TSP request flycutting for this combo? There are many variables in why it could have dropped a valve, but I assure you that it was not from a tune.
The heads were 62cc and did not require fly cutting. The first pull on the dyno my car put down 385hp on the first pull. In the end it did 405hp how much tuning is that?
Old 12-01-2007, 11:28 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

With the ms3 and the 5.3 heads you don't have to fly cut.
Old 12-01-2007, 11:30 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by KBOBOZ71
well i have a few things to say about rpm myself. i went up there about six months ago to have my truck tuned, yeah i know, its a truck, but it was a heads cam 5.3 with a radix supercharger. when i was there i had the same problems with them, they didnt want to hear anything i had to say, they pretty much said shut up and let them work. well thats what i did. well i got it back the first time and found out it was going lean up top, something they didnt bother to tell me, it needed bigger injectors. so i took it back and had them retune and as soon as i got back to town the converter blew up. so i went back to the video i had of the dyno pulls and found out they were locking the converter under wot!!!! not good, so they cost me $750 on a new converter! and as far as driveability goes,,, they had it idleing at 1200!! thats fn rediculous. and it would stumble and die all the time. so i had a guy in town tune it for me, and had no further issues. RPM Sucks. I will never go back and i will never tell anyone else to.
You warned me but I didn't listen.
Old 12-01-2007, 11:33 PM
TECH Resident

its cool man, you can go bigger and better now. i got greg's number.............
Old 12-01-2007, 11:43 PM
On The Tree

Cool

Originally Posted by crazylane
6900 RPM's, without heat cycling.=Bad

I wonder why???

Must not have done enough, to not know about heat cycling, and running the **** out of the car before it was tuned.....
Crazylane you don't know anything with your slow car. I am an automotive machinist I build engines for a living with Uncle Sam.