Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Installed LS2 timing chain, have a problem

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2007, 12:41 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Installed LS2 timing chain, have a problem

Ok, this is going to be kind of hard to explain, so it might be a little long, but here goes..

We put the LS2 timing chain (double roller) onto my 01 ws6 when we did my heads / cam / exhaust swap. (i am getting ready for a procharger)
We re-installed the oil pump with the included spacers. Now i have a slight issue with my #7 cylinder, it has a slight lifter tick, that comes and goes, and it sounds exactly like the problem that georgiarocker had with his engine, in the following thread...
https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthrea...+lifter&page=2

We were getting bubbles in the oil (on the dipstick when we checked oil), and the fact that the tick comes and goes.

When we installed the spacers for the oil pump, we are thinking that there is alot of extra tension on the pickup tube, so that is why i think that air is entering the oil system.

Now with that being said, what is the easiest way of removing the tension on the pickup tube??? and / or has anyone else had a similar problem when installing the ls2 timing chain???

Any and all help is greatly appreciated
Old 12-02-2007, 12:56 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I'm confused, the LS2 chain is a single chain and doesn't require spacers. Do you mean a double chain?
Old 12-02-2007, 01:02 PM
On The Tree

Yeah, sorry, its a double roller chain... swore it said ls2 on the package.. but it is most definatly a double roller.

Thanks...
--Mike
Old 12-02-2007, 01:07 PM
TECH Regular

2 places I can think of where you may have a problem are where the oil pump meets the block. I think you need a little RTV at the spacer. Also, possible pinched oil pickup o-ring. One other thing I thought of is if the pickup tube to oil pump flange is not square due to the extra stress placed on it due to the extra length needed to extend the pickup out.
Old 12-02-2007, 02:04 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Toss the double roller and put an actual LS2 chain on there.
Old 12-02-2007, 02:07 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by ArKay99
2 places I can think of where you may have a problem are where the oil pump meets the block. I think you need a little RTV at the spacer. Also, possible pinched oil pickup o-ring. One other thing I thought of is if the pickup tube to oil pump flange is not square due to the extra stress placed on it due to the extra length needed to extend the pickup out.
yeah, i agree, i don't think its square, any ideas on how to get more "slack" on the pickup tube???

Thanks...
--Mike
Old 12-02-2007, 04:15 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by DaddySS
Toss the double roller and put an actual LS2 chain on there.
Agree with ^ him, i opted for the LS2 chain as well.
-Joel
Old 12-02-2007, 07:11 PM
On The Tree

Well, we got it fixed...

We had to jack the engine as high as we could get it... and support the trans. w/ another jack. Then we dropped the pan as low as we could get it. We were then able to get a socket in there and loosen the oil pickup mount (driver side in the pan) so we could get some more "slack", removed the oil pump pickup bolt, threw a new O ring on there, made sure everything was free, and no strain, tightened up the oil pump pickup, and tightened up the mount in the pan.

Of course to do that, we needed to pull the AC Compressor and bracket, the alternator, and the starter.

So all in all it took us about 7hrs, but my oil pressure on the cold start was about 60psi, (was about 40 before)

But NO MORE TICK, and my oil pressure is where it was before the new heads / cam.

And i would highly recommend doing this to anyone doing a double roller.

Thanks...
--Mike
Old 12-02-2007, 08:32 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Did loosening that bolt allow you to move the pickup tube forward 3mm which is the thickness of the spacers that are used in the double chain installation? If you don't do that it's always a fight to get the tube to go into the pump port. I usually resort to disassembling the pump(remove drive and driven gear). Then I insert the pickup tube into the port, which still is no picnic and then reassemble the pump. I'm now wondering if it might just be easier to go ahead and loosen that bracket bolt as you did and move the tube slightly forward to get it into the pump port and then retighten the bracket bolt. That way you don't have to disassemble the pump.
Old 12-02-2007, 09:18 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by eallanboggs
Did loosening that bolt allow you to move the pickup tube forward 3mm which is the thickness of the spacers that are used in the double chain installation? If you don't do that it's always a fight to get the tube to go into the pump port. I usually resort to disassembling the pump(remove drive and driven gear). Then I insert the pickup tube into the port, which still is no picnic and then reassemble the pump. I'm now wondering if it might just be easier to go ahead and loosen that bracket bolt as you did and move the tube slightly forward to get it into the pump port and then retighten the bracket bolt. That way you don't have to disassemble the pump.
That absolutely let us move that tube forward the little bit we needed. My oil pump pickup and o ring was def. not seated correctly (due to the damn spacers) and causing air to enter my oil system. And actually when we raised the motor and dropped the pan, we were able to pretty easily reinstall that oil pump pickup tube bolt.

Like i say, kind of a pain in the *** to get the motor up high enough to get enough room to get on that bracket... but it def. fixed my problem, and as i said before its a great idea to do for these double roller chains

I unfortunately finished up my heads / cam / timing chain upgrade last weekend, and this problem didn't rear its ugly head till we fired the car.