Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need advice for valve train upgrade on stock cam

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2007, 08:28 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need advice for valve train upgrade on stock cam

well Im getting a tick in the engine, its always had the noise since i bought it about 3 yrs ago and its getting louder, I hope its just a pushrod,I wanna do a an upgrade cheaply as I dont plan on modding the motor. Ive seen comp cams kit with springs pushrods,locks and retainers for around 300.00 but would like to spend around 200.00, any other kits out there or gm performance parts that would be cheap.I dont want to get mod happy like on my tpi trans am. Oh and I may want to try some nitrous (100-125)shot.
Old 12-07-2007, 09:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

They all tick. If you had a bent pushrod it would run like crap. If you had a broken spring it would blow up. So I don't think the above mentioned kit or pushrods are going to help you. It could be a lifter but not really likely unless it has alot of miles on it. But it's possible. If it is a lifter you have to pull the heads to swap them out. Most likely it's just a normal noise your hearing if it's done it for 3 years and runs strong. Or it could be an exhaust leak.
Old 12-08-2007, 02:41 PM
On The Tree

It has 90,xxx miles on it and it still runs strong, I still want to take off the valve covers and take a look (noise only on one side) and while Im there would like to throw in some new parts.
Old 12-08-2007, 02:54 PM
TECH Regular

Could be an oiling issue. When is the tick most present idle or through out the REV range?
Old 12-08-2007, 03:27 PM
On The Tree

it can be heard at idle mostly and low rpm (especially when its cold out side),also sounds worse like marbles in can when letting off the gas. I tried putting my ear to a screw drive and pin point the noise but now am not sure where its coming from, what are the best place to check with the screw driver to ear test? Im remember seeing zmax on tv and wonder if I should try it.
Old 12-08-2007, 03:36 PM
Staging Lane

Default My thoughts

I had this problem before to and even advised another on it. If its an AT, check your flex plate. If its always been there, and nothing has happened yet, I doubt its a major important part. I could be wrong but even if it was low oil I would think that you would have noticed some damage by now. Smoking, Leaking, Fire, Death. If its not and AT i really dont know, I thought I had a valve tap or a knock. At Idle i heard it and off throttle i heard it. During acceleration i didnt cause the flex plate was spining to fast, it was like that for about 6 months, before I foudn it. Just my .02
Old 12-08-2007, 04:20 PM
On The Tree

Ill keep that in mind and I assume you mean check that the bolts arent loose.
Old 12-08-2007, 04:52 PM
Staging Lane

No i mean broken, check for cracks, not going to be easy, but get a bright like and crawl under there and check it out, The bolts shouldnt be lose, if they were it would be eating up yur block, and you would notice a major shaking. Check it for cracks, mine was busted out all around the bolt patern, and out as soon as i pulled the TC off the thing fell out of the car..
Old 12-14-2007, 04:33 PM
Staging Lane

Default status

just trying to find out what if anything you found out yet?
Old 12-15-2007, 07:43 PM
TECH Apprentice

I love it. When you buy one of these cars you should also budget for some couch time with a shrink. I installed headers and started to get paranoid with ticking. I put in a cam, pushrods and springs and now I really freak out. Guess what? Two cams and 10,000 miles and I'm reduced to quivering jelly!!!!!!!!! lol. It's hard to get used to what most would considered abnormal sounds, but that just the wonderful world of a modded LSX engine. Now let's talk about a 12 bolt 4.11 rearend. More couch time. Yikes!!!!!!!!!!