Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Those of you that have pulled an LSx out the top of an F-body.....

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2007, 05:49 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 59 Likes on 44 Posts

Default Those of you that have pulled an LSx out the top of an F-body.....

Hello, simple question for you guys. I am looking into pulling the ls1 out the top of my trans am.... i have seen a few different set ups with the pickers.... a plate that attaches where the valley cover is, or the chains that bolt to the front and back of the motor... what do you guys use on the end of the picker to connect to the motor to get it out? If you've done it a few different ways, which do you prefer? Thanks!

Featuring 6 different turbo kits for your F-body!
Check us out on Facebook at: www.facebook.com/HuronSpeed
Old 12-15-2007, 07:51 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i bought the little plate from qtp that bolts to the valley. probably give you a little more control of the the thing. make sure your cherry picker has some good reach to i though! f bodys have like a hundred miles of front end to over come. also.... it can be a pain. make sure to pull the trans, i was lazy and just left the trans in the car with the front supported by a ajack. i did it this way a few times but each time it was very hard to get the motor to line up with the input shaft of the trans, i was really worried i was going to break it. could easily be bad news..
Old 12-15-2007, 08:10 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

ok thanks, do you know if any sponsors have this QTP valley plate... where did you get it from? Thanks a lot, i will be pulling the trans completely out as well, thanks for the advice!

Old 12-15-2007, 09:29 PM
Launching!

My buddy "helped" me (he did most of the work, cause he knows a whole lot more than me), and we just used a chain bolted to the front and back of the motor. No major issues, one of us jacked the picker and the other guided the motor to no hit the cowl or anything else on it's way out/in.
Old 12-15-2007, 10:23 PM
Staging Lane

send a pm to ricethis. I helped him out with his camaro (he did most of it). he knows what's going on
Old 12-15-2007, 10:36 PM
Banned

I did one '98 T/A, even left the hood on.
I always use a chain from corner to corner and make a loop in the center with a long bolt, and put the hook there.
I also like the Blue Point engine hoists that have legs that point straight instead of angled, and a swivel hook.
Old 12-16-2007, 01:02 AM
TECH Regular

If you have the extra money I would get the plate but if not use the chains. it's just alittle harder to control.
Old 12-16-2007, 08:54 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

i sent a PM to QTP, i think i'll get their plate. Thanks for the help guys!

Old 12-16-2007, 10:21 AM
12 Second Club

why no pull it from the bottom? either way from the top shoul be interesting, i dont know anyone of the top of my head whos done it through the top. really sounds like a 2-3 person job
Old 12-16-2007, 10:46 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ive done it both ways, I made up a .250 ince plate that bolted to the valley pan and then took a universal engine lift plate and bolted that to my valley plate that I made and pulled the engine and trans at the same time out the top. out the bottom I pulled the front nose off and used a hydrolic bumper jack and pulled the motor, trans, accesories, harness and everything. way faster out of the bottom, I had the motor out thru the bottom in 3 1/2 hours as opposed to over a day fighting to disconnect everything while its in the car
Old 12-16-2007, 11:33 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The cars Ive done I pull the transmission and use a wide nilon tieing it in a knot and loop it around the crank pulley for the front of the motor and use a chain in the top rear of the block (dead center) and tilt the front of the motor up na dit will come out. If you have a lift bringing the k-member out the bottom works to but the top for us house mechanics isnt that bad. Good Luck
Old 12-16-2007, 11:49 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

dont want to go out the bottom, dont have the room to do it, nor do i want to in general so i'm going out the top. I know KP and Mightymouse always go out the top... just seems like the better option for garage guys with no lift and no a lot of space.

What are your thoughts on leaving the tranny attached for you guys that have pulled it out the top? Easier, or more complicated and pulling it prior to made it easier? Thanks!

Old 12-16-2007, 12:03 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Hennytime
why no pull it from the bottom? either way from the top shoul be interesting, i dont know anyone of the top of my head whos done it through the top. really sounds like a 2-3 person job

Originally Posted by lmt0705
I had the motor out thru the bottom in 3 1/2 hours as opposed to over a day fighting to disconnect everything while its in the car
The 98 T/A I pulled from the top was a parts car, the city was going to fine me for it being in the yard so I rented a hoist for a day.
I had the whole drivetrain and other misc items out of it in 7 hours by myself.
All taken out properly.

I can't imagine dropping it out through the bottom, won't you have to screw with the brake lines, frame realignment, etc? How do you use a bumper jack on a urethane bumper? Take it off and use it on the frame? Thats more **** to remove and reinstall.
JMO....
Old 12-17-2007, 09:11 AM
8 sec potential, 12 sec slip

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I took mine out the top with the trans attached.

Old 12-17-2007, 09:22 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I pull them out from the top all the time and i just use a chain and 2 inner head bolts to screw into the valley cover.
Old 12-17-2007, 10:42 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by 8a8mfh
The 98 T/A I pulled from the top was a parts car, the city was going to fine me for it being in the yard so I rented a hoist for a day.
I had the whole drivetrain and other misc items out of it in 7 hours by myself.
All taken out properly.

I can't imagine dropping it out through the bottom, won't you have to screw with the brake lines, frame realignment, etc? How do you use a bumper jack on a urethane bumper? Take it off and use it on the frame? Thats more **** to remove and reinstall.
JMO....
you rop the whole front with kmember. its pretty simple. no playing with brake lines, just disconnect the calipers. heres a goo write up: https://ls1tech.com/forums/forced-induction/829800-monster-rear-mount-comming-lmr-s-build-pics.html

i plan to just pull the front of the car up by the front frame support
Old 12-17-2007, 11:15 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Hennytime
you rop the whole front with kmember. its pretty simple. no playing with brake lines, just disconnect the calipers. heres a goo write up: https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=829800
i plan to just pull the front of the car up by the front frame support
Good write up about what? I don't see anything about pulling an engine.

Ok so you just need to disconnect the calipers, drop the k member, THEN disconnect the same exact **** as you would have to disconnect to pull the engine from the top?
To each his own I guess.
Old 12-17-2007, 03:05 PM
12 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have pics on my site; out the top, 2 guys. I left the tranny in.

http://www.geocities.com/viper99ta@s....net/pics.html
Old 12-17-2007, 05:49 PM
12 Second Club

just pulled mine today. Went out through the top. All i had left was the short block so it came out real easy. just used a chain and the old head blots running to the cherry picker. Came out super easy
Old 12-17-2007, 06:56 PM
On The Tree

I used a home-made plate that looks like the qtp plate. The top in F-body's is eaisier to me. It only took myself and one other person. Personally I like taking the transmission's out with any motor pull especially when its a manual trans. Its much eaisier to line everything up outside the car rather than under, get to the bellhousing/transmission bolts is a pita in a f-body too.

Quick Reply: Those of you that have pulled an LSx out the top of an F-body.....