Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

cheapest way to cut piston's check it out!!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2007, 03:35 PM
TECH Addict

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Fratsit
Just talked to Dave over at Lindy tool and ordered my cutters for intake and exhaust. Great guy. Can't wait to get them and get started.

R/

Frat
Old 12-18-2007, 05:37 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

sorry guy's this was a BAD IDEA. i thought i could get away with it being i am a die maker by trade and machine metal everyday.but!!!!!!!

i wrecked a damn piston tonight trying to chase out the exrta .040 around the valve releif with a pencil grinder with a 1/8 th inch 4 flute cutter.

so now the tool would have been cheap or if i would have took the time to make one at work but for me it is too late.

plus i should have my head checked for useing my afr's as a piston cutting guide.

I have a ? though. what pistons will work with stock rod's??? all the piston's i can find are for a 6.125 rod and i think my stock ls1 rod's are 6.100

any help on the piston choice would be great i need to get them on order.

thanks
mike
Old 12-18-2007, 05:54 PM
TECH Resident

Wow...sorry to hear that. Hope you get everything worked out.

405 HP Z06.... you have a PM.

R/

Frat

Last edited by Fratsit; 12-18-2007 at 06:05 PM.
Old 12-18-2007, 06:00 PM
10 Second Club

This really amazes me. I get a kick out of this.

Mahle makes a set of pistons that will work on your stock rods. Just about any company does but you'll probaly just have to call them over the phone.
Old 12-18-2007, 06:16 PM
OWN3D BY MY PROF!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by quick346
sorry guy's this was a BAD IDEA. i thought i could get away with it being i am a die maker by trade and machine metal everyday.but!!!!!!!

i wrecked a damn piston tonight trying to chase out the exrta .040 around the valve releif with a pencil grinder with a 1/8 th inch 4 flute cutter.

so now the tool would have been cheap or if i would have took the time to make one at work but for me it is too late.

plus i should have my head checked for useing my afr's as a piston cutting guide.

I have a ? though. what pistons will work with stock rod's??? all the piston's i can find are for a 6.125 rod and i think my stock ls1 rod's are 6.100

thanks
mike

Many companies sell pistons for a 3.905 bore and 6.098 rods.
Old 12-18-2007, 06:42 PM
TECH Addict

thanks
mike
Very sorry to hear this. There are many piston choices out there, just look around or call a few of the board sponsors. Good luck.
Old 12-18-2007, 07:39 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by 405HP_Z06
I agree I just picked up the Lindy Tool In Head Piston Cutters (IHPC) for my Dart install. Very nice tools that fit right in the head without any modification. They also have angles cut into the back so they don't mess up the valve job.

I've got some real nice pictures that I am going to post, but I can't find the cable to get them to my laptop.

These can be had from Edge Tool Supply. The online pictures don't do them justice.
This Lindy tool, do we have to mess with the heads any to have them work, or can they fit with out any material being removed?
Old 12-18-2007, 07:53 PM
TECH Apprentice

How did you wreck the piston? I am trying to visualize it. Did you take to much out and now you can see through it? Sorry to hear about it not working out.
Old 12-18-2007, 08:12 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by THE CHOP SHOP
How did you wreck the piston? I am trying to visualize it. Did you take to much out and now you can see through it? Sorry to hear about it not working out.
Thats what I'm thinkin. Even if the die grinder went across the piston, it would still be usable.
Not to throw salt in a wound, but for a machinist/tool and die maker, kind of a shoddy way about things. Sorry for being an *******.
Lindy tool here also. No need to mod the head. Its money well spent, even if I only use it once. I mean damn, the cost of it is covered by 1.5 hours labor. You would save that not dickin around with trying to rig something up to cheap out on it.
Old 12-18-2007, 09:03 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by crazylane
This Lindy tool, do we have to mess with the heads any to have them work, or can they fit with out any material being removed?
https://ls1tech.com/forums/generation-iii-internal-engine/832105-flycutting-tools.html
Old 12-18-2007, 09:49 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by THE CHOP SHOP
I am trying to visualize it. Did you take to much out and now you can see through it?
Its kind of tough at first, I mean to actually visualize it, like you walked into your garage and witnessed it but when you can see it all happen in your head its a comedy. Glue sand paper to a valve? And then attach the valve to a powe drill and get after it..... HAHAHA

Maybe next time after you finish on the piston you should turn the drill on high and pull up as hard as you can and seat that valve real good in those 2300$ heads.

I've seen some wild stuff on here but this surely tops the list props! BRAVO!

Last edited by Jordan S.; 12-18-2007 at 09:57 PM.
Old 12-18-2007, 09:58 PM
Banned

cheapest way to cut piston's check it out!!!
Whats cheaper a real cutter or a piston?
Old 12-18-2007, 09:59 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Jordan S.
Its kind of tough at first, I mean to actually visualize it, like you walked into your garage and witnessed it but when you can see it all happen in your head its a comedy. Glue sand paper to a valve? And then attach the valve to a powe drill and get after it..... HAHAHA

Maybe next time after you finish on the piston you should turn the drill on high and pull up as hard as you can and seat that valve real good in those 2300$ heads.

I've seen some wild stuff on here but this surely tops the list props! BRAVO!
Hah, definitely takes the cake!
Old 12-19-2007, 06:55 AM
TECH Resident

Fixin to get interesting.....
Old 12-19-2007, 07:41 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Fratsit

Fixin to get interesting.....
Tough crowd........
It wouldnt have surprised me except for the fact that he stated he was a die maker. Had the OP been a young kid and didnt know any better, I could understand.
Old 12-19-2007, 10:26 AM
10 Second Club

Being young isnt an excuse for something like this. LOL I dont understand where people can come off saying someone is stupid because they are young. Its either your an idiot or your not, it doesnt matter what age, you're born with it.
Old 12-19-2007, 10:43 AM
11 Second Club

Yeah i'd have to agree,...making mistakes is one thing that happens to us all. But to continually grind on some of the most expensive LSX heads on the market without realizing your more than likely in the wrong,....spells problems. If i've got the money to buy the heads,...why not pay someone to fly cut my pistons or buy pistons with reliefs, pay to have them put in. Better yet,....pay someone to teach you all this stuff i've mentioned!!!
Old 12-19-2007, 01:15 PM
Banned

Making stupid mistakes, and doing knuckleheaded stuff is part of being young. Everyone goes through it. The younger you are, the more boneheaded stuff you do, and the more mistakes you make. Its called life. As you get older you can look back on those boneheaded things you did, and laugh, knowing that with age came more experience and knowledge, and fewer boneheaded mistakes.
I'm not knockin any of the youngsters. We've all been there.
Old 12-19-2007, 01:31 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by 98REDZ
Better yet,....pay someone to teach you all this stuff i've mentioned!!!
Why bother when you can come here for free and get the info from those who did pay.
Only problem is people will never let go of their brilliant ideas, some work, some don't. This one just happened to not work and the OP learned a valuable lesson for free on his own time. We all have a few of those, and no amount of schooling would have gained us this experience.
Old 12-19-2007, 01:40 PM
11 Second Club

As for the "the younger you are, the more boneheaded stuff u do and more mistakes you make" comment,.......and with age,...lesser mistakes are made. I have a real hard time with this one,...considering everytime I get on the road it seems as if there is at least one elderly person I cross that should NOT be on the road,..making bonehead mistakes,...driving down the wrong side of the road, running stop signs, etc.

And had he just came here and posted up a thread discussing this idea, he could've saved the effort, time, money, and other unmentionables caused. (MAYBE)

Quick Reply: cheapest way to cut piston's check it out!!!