Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

cheapest way to cut piston's check it out!!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2007, 02:12 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 98REDZ
As for the "the younger you are, the more boneheaded stuff u do and more mistakes you make" comment,.......and with age,...lesser mistakes are made. I have a real hard time with this one,...considering everytime I get on the road it seems as if there is at least one elderly person I cross that should NOT be on the road,..making bonehead mistakes,...driving down the wrong side of the road, running stop signs, etc.
Damn...maybe you should just take the bus.
Old 12-19-2007, 02:28 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by edcmat-l1
Making stupid mistakes, and doing knuckleheaded stuff is part of being young. Everyone goes through it. The younger you are, the more boneheaded stuff you do, and the more mistakes you make. Its called life. As you get older you can look back on those boneheaded things you did, and laugh, knowing that with age came more experience and knowledge, and fewer boneheaded mistakes.
I'm not knockin any of the youngsters. We've all been there.
Live and learn right on
Old 12-19-2007, 02:48 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Jordan S.
Live and learn right on
Part of the natural progression of life.
Old 12-19-2007, 04:33 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Jordan S.
Its kind of tough at first, I mean to actually visualize it, like you walked into your garage and witnessed it but when you can see it all happen in your head its a comedy. Glue sand paper to a valve? And then attach the valve to a powe drill and get after it..... HAHAHA

Maybe next time after you finish on the piston you should turn the drill on high and pull up as hard as you can and seat that valve real good in those 2300$ heads.

I've seen some wild stuff on here but this surely tops the list props! BRAVO!
pretty harsh on the give it a valve job. I see in youre sig you are all proud of the 12 sec club.

my 4000 pound gto went 12.2 with a 1.62 60ft with just a verter and a 150 shot. everything else bone stock. 12's are nothing to be proud of!! hell my gtp 3.8l went 12.90's cam only

so it did not work and yeah i am a diemaker. that is why i chose the disc. they would put way less side load on the guide's than a single flute cutter.
and i kept oil on them it took like 30 sec's to f my piston up LOL

I would have just ran it but i plan on spraying a 2 stage 200 shot at the track this season so i think i needed new anyhow.

mike
Old 12-19-2007, 04:48 PM
TECH Addict

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by quick346
pretty harsh on the give it a valve job. I see in youre sig you are all proud of the 12 sec club.

my 4000 pound gto went 12.2 with a 1.62 60ft with just a verter and a 150 shot. everything else bone stock. 12's are nothing to be proud of!! hell my gtp 3.8l went 12.90's cam only

so it did not work and yeah i am a diemaker. that is why i chose the disc. they would put way less side load on the guide's than a single flute cutter.

I would have just ran it but i plan on spraying a 2 stage 200 shot at the track this season so i think i needed new anyhow.

mike
Irregardless of the circumstances, I hate to see this happen. Very tough crowd here....all the perfect people must hang out here.
Old 12-19-2007, 05:36 PM
Banned

it took like 30 sec's to f my piston up LOL
I'm very interested in seeing what happened.
Old 12-19-2007, 05:54 PM
11 Second Club

I will go buy another usb cable so i can hook my cam up and give you some pic's.

They all look real nice but i cut the exhauste too deep and it was like .050 from the edge of the piston on #7 and i do not want it comeing apart and wrecking my heads or block

so i decided to just go with forged piston's and compstar rod's and just rebalance it.

I was bullshitting and not paying attention and got sloppy

I know on here now that means stupid,dumbass and idiot to try **** but that is who i am

think it make's you smart to pay to have something done. it must

don't care trust me i won't make another post on this board. i will post if i can help but seam's like too many peaple just wanna sit back and talk trash while they do nothing

all i can say is my gto will be in the high 10's this season i bet half the guy's bashing me would not hang with me in the 1/4. but sound cool when they bash peaple.

don't care .love the site don't get me wrong but shark infested water's for sure

or should i say a bunch of little shark's just waiting to puff their chest out at the first sign of something their favorite vender did not tell them because that is all they know

and that is it.

and when something new come's along they say bull. because all they know is what the guy told them they hand their paycheck's to or give their card # to.

I do my own work and i will only make a mistake once.

atleast i am man enough to own up to it. and don't bash other's for trying

that is why i will be faster in the end

and yeah my spelling and grammer suck's ***

but i will put my own engine together and whoop some ***

more than most can say.
Old 12-19-2007, 06:51 PM
11 Second Club

Seemed to work here. Homemade cutter, that is... Good luck getting it back together...

https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthrea...ight=flycutter
Old 12-19-2007, 07:04 PM
11 Second Club

quick346 I've made my mistakes also,...and im glad your giving things a try and letting your mind inspire your actions, but do not assume that the people ******* you do not know anything either. If your anywhere in the Oklahoma region, bring that 10 second GTO to TRP and i'd be more than happy to give you a run.

P.S. - Dont get butt hurt about the thread that you created,...this is not Dr.Phil.
Old 12-19-2007, 07:10 PM
Banned

I will go buy another usb cable so i can hook my cam up and give you some pic's.

it was like .050 from the edge of the piston on #7
I've done big blocks that cut well past the edge of the piston, as long as the ring land is thick enough it shouldn't matter. After all if the thing was the same size as your valve, thats whats needed to be removed to get the clearance.
In fact if it was .050 from the edge you would HAVE TO grind that .050 out flush with the edge, remove it.
Old 12-19-2007, 07:26 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by chuckyt1
Seemed to work here. Homemade cutter, that is... Good luck getting it back together...

https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthrea...ight=flycutter
nice. that is what i was going for.just missed it by a little.being i got sloppy.
Old 12-19-2007, 07:32 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by 98REDZ
quick346 I've made my mistakes also,...and im glad your giving things a try and letting your mind inspire your actions, but do not assume that the people ******* you do not know anything either. If your anywhere in the Oklahoma region, bring that 10 second GTO to TRP and i'd be more than happy to give you a run.

P.S. - Dont get butt hurt about the thread that you created,...this is not Dr.Phil.
no i do not want dr phil popin out of the corner to help me .I am from MI and prob won't be out in oklahoma.. but if i was i would. so if you venture within say 6 hr's from MI i could meet you for a show down pinks stlye

all i said was peaple are qiuck to be little *****'s because maybe they have aaa

I don't know. not all but some

most are real cool and fast to help.

also 98redz youre cardomain say's 11.74 please. i could have took that car down before i took my engine out. no spray keep modden

Last edited by quick346; 12-19-2007 at 07:41 PM.
Old 12-19-2007, 08:29 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by 8a8mfh
I've done big blocks that cut well past the edge of the piston, as long as the ring land is thick enough it shouldn't matter. After all if the thing was the same size as your valve, thats whats needed to be removed to get the clearance.
In fact if it was .050 from the edge you would HAVE TO grind that .050 out flush with the edge, remove it.
thanks for the info. i just figured i had messed it up being it was so close to the edge but it was cut by the valve through the head i am running.

thanks,
mike
Old 12-20-2007, 07:10 PM
10 Second Club

mike
Ya I hit 12's in my car the year before last. 12.50 with just bolt ons on 275 Nitto's. It melted a ring land last march so I yanked the drivetrain out of the car and rebuilt it. I built a long rod 347, moser 9in., Stage 5 4L60, NX.... I dont know where you got off the proud of the 12 sec club at? I'm finishing up the car to get it ready for the track this year. I'm actually going to check out the cage tomorrow!

I'm in the "12 sec club", that means I must run 12's, so come on with that heavy goat and bring your money! And my hose is more than a 150.
Old 12-20-2007, 08:01 PM
Banned

To the OP, Quick346. I'm a 40ish, life long hot-rodder/mechanic/machinist. I didnt chime in here to **** on anybodys parade. What I did chime in for is to bring attention to the fact that what you chose to post, about being a cheap way to flycut pistons, was a shoddy way to go about things, especially for a die maker that should for 40 hours a week at least, be akin to machining things very precisely with the proper tooling. I'm sure you could not get away with this procedure in your normal day job.

I have went to the extent of looking up, and posting the following GM Technical Service Bulletin. It concerns using any abrasive materials on gasket surfaces of LS1 based engines. Incidentally, Ford has the same exact TSB. And furthermore, anyone that comes to work for me gets a lecture on using these discs, or any other abrasive materials on assembled engines, and its my policy that if you choose to use them while you're working for me, you're fired, simple as that.

I'm sure you had no idea of the ramifications of the abrasive material possibly entering your engine, but nevertheless, as a machinist and die maker, you would have to understand the ramifications of not using the proper tooling and/or procedures to carry out a specific task. The 100 dollar savings, give or take a few $$ isnt worth the headache caused by short changing the job.
Good luck to you, hope your rebuild goes better than it started.
Old 12-20-2007, 08:15 PM
Banned

To the OP, Quick346. I'm a 40ish, life long hot-rodder/mechanic/machinist. I didnt chime in here to **** on anybodys parade. What I did chime in for is to bring attention to the fact that what you chose to post, about being a cheap way to flycut pistons

I have went to the extent of looking up, and posting the following GM Technical Service Bulletin. It concerns using any abrasive materials on gasket surfaces of LS1 based engines.
Fly cutting pistons and using abrasive materials on gasket surfaces are two totally different things dumbass.
Must've been a slow day at the drive up for whatever dealership, or fast food joint, you work for.
Old 12-20-2007, 08:16 PM
Banned

To the OP, Quick346. I'm a 40ish, life long hot-rodder/mechanic/machinist. I didnt chime in here to **** on anybodys parade. What I did chime in for is to bring attention to the fact that what you chose to post, about being a cheap way to flycut pistons, was a shoddy way to go about things, especially for a die maker that should for 40 hours a week at least, be akin to machining things very precisely with the proper tooling. I'm sure you could not get away with this procedure in your normal day job.

I have went to the extent of looking up, and posting the following GM Technical Service Bulletin. It concerns using any abrasive materials on gasket surfaces of LS1 based engines. Incidentally, Ford has the same exact TSB. And furthermore, anyone that comes to work for me gets a lecture on using these discs, or any other abrasive materials on assembled engines, and its my policy that if you choose to use them while you're working for me, you're fired, simple as that.

I'm sure you had no idea of the ramifications of the abrasive material possibly entering your engine, but nevertheless, as a machinist and die maker, you would have to understand the ramifications of not using the proper tooling and/or procedures to carry out a specific task. The 100 dollar savings, give or take a few $$ isnt worth the headache caused by short changing the job.
Good luck to you, hope your rebuild goes better than it started.
in case you delete this dumb **** before anyone sees it.
Old 12-20-2007, 08:23 PM
Banned

Fly cutting pistons and using abrasive materials on gasket surfaces are two totally different things dumbass.
Must've been a slow day at the drive up for whatever dealership, or fast food joint, you work for.
How is it different if you're introducing abrasive material to the engine? Dont work for a fast food joint, sorry.
Or dealership for that matter.
Old 12-20-2007, 08:31 PM
Banned

Please tell me, Mr smartass, whats the difference? If I'm a dumbass, whats the difference?
He tried to flycut his pistons with an abrasive disc. Which just the material is a big no-no.
Old 12-20-2007, 08:39 PM
Banned

in case you delete this dumb **** before anyone sees it.
Is that all you've got? Do you honestly do anything mechanically related? Please tell me what the difference is in introducing abrasive material into your engine whether it be through gasket removal or trying to notch pistons with an abrasive disc.
PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE TELL ME MR MORON, WHATS THE DIFFERENCE?

Quick Reply: cheapest way to cut piston's check it out!!!