Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Would adjustable rocker arms benefit me?

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-2007, 01:05 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Would adjustable rocker arms benefit me?

Well my trans am has been pretty broken for the last several months. When I changed the stock cam to the one in my signature it was awesome for about three days. That is until the 90k stock lifters decided to start clacking like no ones business. I have been meaning to throw in some new lifters for sometime. Alogn the way I picked up a set of ultra low miles 243 heads from a friends '02 ZO6, which he ripped off the car at just 3k miles. I figured why put perimeter bolts back on if I had to. Anyway I am figuring if I am going this far should I at least upgrade my rocker arms. Conventional wisdom says with the cam I have I should likely want some adjustability in the valve train since it is such a big cam. I figure the stock steel rocker bearings with the cam of deathm, as I call it, aren't going to last me a long time. Plus I may get the benefit of seeing a horsepower increase. My only stipulation is they need to be stock ratio, as I pushing my PTV clearance, and fit under the stock valve covers. Anyone have any particular suggestions? Or is this something I am just wanting to throw in there for little to no effect. How much adjusting do I need to be doing on them? Set and forget like stock?

Thanks in advance!
Old 12-25-2007, 05:15 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I am not a fan of the stock rockers with large aftermarket cams and heavy springs since they will load the valve guides more. You do not really have to have adjustable pushrods, but there is benefits to them if you are trying to keep the lifter at a very specific preload. The Cranes are good adjustable rockers. For non-adjustable, the Yella Terras are good rockers.
Old 12-25-2007, 06:43 PM
OWN3D BY MY PROF!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You do not need adjustable rockers unless you are going solid roller.
Old 12-26-2007, 02:01 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Beaflag VonRathburg
You do not need adjustable rockers unless you are going solid roller.
Not true, in a hyd roller set up they're used for setting preload. Just look at all the issues that people were having back in the day when they used comp R lifters and stock rockers.

Some people are happy with the stock rockers, I don't care for them on anything other than a stock valvetrain.
Old 12-26-2007, 10:17 AM
On The Tree

This partially answered my question. The second part really is do I need fully adjustable or just the set and forget type AKA non adjustable rockers?
Old 12-26-2007, 10:47 AM
TECH Senior Member

If you end up with adjustables, as long as you set em right the first time your good to go.
Old 12-26-2007, 12:02 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't really see the need for adjustable rockers. I have a set, and they are really overkill for your typical hydraulic cam and lifter, in my opinion. If you take the time to properly set pushrod length, you should be good to go with non-adjustable rockers. In my case, I bought them so I have some control over the pre-load on Rhoads lifters. I don't have them in yet, so I can't talk about how well that works, but that's my only reason.
Old 12-26-2007, 12:05 PM
OWN3D BY MY PROF!

Originally Posted by DONAIMIAN
Not true, in a hyd roller set up they're used for setting preload. Just look at all the issues that people were having back in the day when they used comp R lifters and stock rockers.

Some people are happy with the stock rockers, I don't care for them on anything other than a stock valvetrain.
It's unnecessary. Yes, you could adjust the preload exactly. Then again adjustable rockers are more expensive than the correct length pushrods.
Old 12-27-2007, 07:42 PM
On The Tree

Well I already have aftermarket pushrods obviously. can't remember what length they are anymore. So if I got, say, a set of yella terras would they require a specific length pushrod other then what I am currently running? Obviously they were made for my setup and cam and to work in conjunction with stock rocker arms.
Old 12-27-2007, 09:07 PM
OWN3D BY MY PROF!

Yella Terras do not require a specific length pushrod.
Old 12-27-2007, 10:28 PM
TECH Senior Member

I just posted this in the last thread I looked at. Harland will rebuild your stockers for I think $225 and eliminate the needle bearing issues we have with the stockers. It's how I am going when i do my H/C swap in the next 2 months (hopefully sooner if all works out).
Old 12-28-2007, 12:09 PM
On The Tree

Well after some reading I guess I am just gonna go with the yella terra rocker arms. I was thinking of doing the harland sharp due to their price point. However, after reading about rocker arm inconsistencies and failures, which I cannot have this motor comming apart on my right now, I will just spend the extra cash and get the yella terras instead. My only quuestion now is, do they fit under stock valve covers?
Old 12-28-2007, 03:05 PM
12 Second Club

According to vettenuts, yes they do fit.
Old 12-28-2007, 04:09 PM
JPH
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by SmallTires
Well after some reading I guess I am just gonna go with the yella terra rocker arms. I was thinking of doing the harland sharp due to their price point. However, after reading about rocker arm inconsistencies and failures, which I cannot have this motor comming apart on my right now, I will just spend the extra cash and get the yella terras instead. My only quuestion now is, do they fit under stock valve covers?
they fit.
Old 12-28-2007, 11:02 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by SmallTires
Yes, but do yourself a favor. I have installed them and found that the supplied shims are required to obtain the correct wipe pattern on stock heads. Once installed, your pushrod length will change. Pick up the rockers and an adjustable pushrod and measure/verify the installation. Don't just slap it together. The Yella Terra instructions suck, measure wipe first then measure pushrod length. The results will surprise you when you are done.
Old 12-29-2007, 07:09 AM
12 Second Club

vettenuts

I plan on getting these as well. Have you seen them with a set of AFR heads yet? Of course I'll be measuring just wondering of any caveats.
Old 12-29-2007, 08:37 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Viper
vettenuts

I plan on getting these as well. Have you seen them with a set of AFR heads yet? Of course I'll be measuring just wondering of any caveats.
I have a set of AFR's on order myself and have bought the Yella Terra's to install. I spoke to Tony and he told me the shims are usually required to get the wipe correct on the AFR's because they maintain the stock dimensions of the rocker stand. I plan to check on the bench, but anticipate the shims will be required on the AFR's as well.
Old 12-29-2007, 08:47 AM
11 Second Club

adjustable pushrods and rockers arms?
inform me? never seen those before
Old 12-29-2007, 12:02 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by lifeisgood
adjustable pushrods and rockers arms?
inform me? never seen those before
Adjustable pushrod extends because it is made from two pieces and screwed together such that you can adjust the length. This is strictly a measuring tool to establish the pushrod length required for a given setup.

Adjustable rockers are something like the cranes, where the lifter preload can be infinitely adjusted by the adjustment nut. However, as the rocker is adjusted the preload is changes as is the wipe pattern so their setup is a little more involved than something like a Yella Terra, where the fulcrum is fixed when the bolt is tightened up.

On the Cranes the adjustment is made at the fulcrum whereas with Jessel it is done at the pushrod itself since the pushrod cup is on a threaded adjustable piece. If you look closely at the photo, you can see the adjusting nut that holds the rocker to the stud.

Old 12-29-2007, 12:13 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

since i am new to the LS type engines. i was woundering if the stock studs are compatible with adjustable rockers. on the traditional Pontiacs i have built, i had to swap out the stock studs.

Quick Reply: Would adjustable rocker arms benefit me?