Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Worst day of my life!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2008, 10:57 PM
10 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by 8a8mfh
I post this every time I see a thread like this.
http://www.sneekerlift.com/htm/pickup.htm
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qnu3QaiSiNs
Watch the all of the youtube video, it's kind of stupid at first. I guarantee this is how they're doing it. All I can say is back in when you can, and pay attention because as you can see they can still drag the car out from the front and grab it from the back, but it allows more time for you to catch them.
couldnt you pervent this by always turning your wheels all the way to one side then pull out the key to lock the ignition...so the front wheels will be locked one way and the backs will be locked with either park a4 or m6 parking brake...

i guess they could still hook up to the front but it would be dragging tires all the way down the street...
Old 01-06-2008, 11:43 PM
9 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by allbaugh_04
Are you sure that would work? I think it saves the information in the stick, I don't think it sends the information to your computer. I could be wrong, I briefly read over the description.

Tracksticks are tiny GPS location recorders capable of continuously logging their own location histories for extended periods of time. The Trackstick Pro records its own location, time, date, speed, heading and altitude at preset intervals. I believe you can set it up on google earth.
Old 01-06-2008, 11:59 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by 3fingas
Tracksticks are tiny GPS location recorders capable of continuously logging their own location histories for extended periods of time. The Trackstick Pro records its own location, time, date, speed, heading and altitude at preset intervals. I believe you can set it up on google earth.
Yes it can continuously log its location for extendend periods of time, but I had the same question as the other guy - it looks like it doesn't transmit anything, therefore worthess in recovering a stolen vehicle. Unless I am missing something - I only briefly looked at the specs.

If your car is stolen and you had one of the Trackstick thing mounted in your car, how exactly is that going to help you get your car back. It appears the only way to retrieve the location information from the Trackstick is to hook it up to your computer and download the data.

If someone stole your car how are you going to be able to download the data. You have to find your stolen car before you can download the data.
Old 01-07-2008, 12:19 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by sapper_daddy
well where the hell do YOU park your car?!!!

I've lived in baton rouge and I live in Lafayette, I know they have stolen stuff before but they are cutting keys around here....
Pays to put a piece of paper or a card over your vin. Not fool proof, but yeah I don't see how anyone can be a professional car thief in Louisiana, the cars have to be going out of state because there isn't a damn place to hide something like that around here.

I was mugged twice after Katrina, people trying to get my car. Luckily for me, I carry....

The only other thing I can think of is for us to get super sensitive alarms. I know I have my shock sensor set that way, and it works pretty good.
I got bitched out for that once by a cop when I left my car parked for a couple of hours. Appearently, it is illegal to cover your VIN in the Great State of Kansas. He thought I stole the car because I was hiding the VIN!
Old 01-07-2008, 12:30 AM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by Red2000SS
Yes it can continuously log its location for extendend periods of time, but I had the same question as the other guy - it looks like it doesn't transmit anything, therefore worthess in recovering a stolen vehicle. Unless I am missing something - I only briefly looked at the specs.

If your car is stolen and you had one of the Trackstick thing mounted in your car, how exactly is that going to help you get your car back. It appears the only way to retrieve the location information from the Trackstick is to hook it up to your computer and download the data.

If someone stole your car how are you going to be able to download the data. You have to find your stolen car before you can download the data.
I see ur point. By the info provided, one would think you dont need the device to finds its location. But this would need to be confirmed.

How it works: The Super Trackstick receives signals from twenty four satellites orbiting the earth. With this information, the Trackstick Pro can precisely calculate its own position anywhere on the planet to within fifteen meters.

Where it works: The Super Trackstick will work anywhere on the planet Earth. Your exact location and the route traveled can be viewed and played back directly within Google™ Earth. Everything is included and there are no monthly fees.

Applications / Features

Seamless integration into Google™ Earth
Professional GPS location Recorder
Weatherproof design
Vehicle location and route histories
Package / container shipment history
Employee and vehicle monitoring
Mileage recording and verification
Homeland Security
Search and Rescue
Military Operations
Private Investigation
Public Safety
Law Enforcement
Child / Family Safety
Old 01-07-2008, 12:35 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by TORCHD 02 TA
a guy on this board, i think his name is Chad1313 got is Trans Am stolen in Louisania too... PM him for details
there is another guy with an SS that had his stolen a while back in Baton Rouge.

as far as covering up the VIN it might be illegal in Kansas but down here I'm not taking any chances! rather have an upset Police officer than a thief taking my car....you probably feel the same way too.
Old 01-07-2008, 12:58 AM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by sapper_daddy
there is another guy with an SS that had his stolen a while back in Baton Rouge.

as far as covering up the VIN it might be illegal in Kansas but down here I'm not taking any chances! rather have an upset Police officer than a thief taking my car....you probably feel the same way too.
I feel the same way. I have turned down better paying jobs cause they were in shitty places to live.
Old 01-07-2008, 02:53 AM
Launching!

Sorry to hear this agian man.
Old 01-07-2008, 03:33 AM
TECH Addict

Very sorry to hear, hope it works out.
Old 01-07-2008, 07:11 AM
On The Tree

I sorry man. I would cry if my car was stolen. It hurts me just thinking about my car getting stolen.
Old 01-07-2008, 07:29 AM
TECH Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The only time I've cried since I was 4 was the loss of my '67 RS camaro. My buddy bought it when he was 16 in 1986 and we'd worked on it together until the time when I bought it, worked on it more, turned it into a REALLY bitchin cornercarver/dragracer/dailydriver, only to have it stolen out of the Wiseco parking lot back in '01. Professional job, they came between 1st shift leaving at 3 and the office leaving at 5. We've since put in automated gates and everything. I had most of the receipts totalling $22k without the car itself or the $4k paint job. I had a $15k policy..which was realistic, and that's what I got...but I'd trade that back in a heartbeat to get the car back. The insurance dude owned a '69 big block camaro..so was familiar with the parts etc...I'm sure that helped, but make sure EVERYTHING is documented.
Old 01-07-2008, 10:12 AM
UNDER PRESSURE MOD

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

That sucks so bad. I really feel for you. Unfortunately, if someone really wants your car, they are going to get it. They will wait for your park it somewhere, then bring a flatbed with a powerful winch and drag it onto the flatbed and be gone with it. It will take some more time, but if they are that interested in your car, it's theirs.
Old 01-07-2008, 10:15 AM
UNDER PRESSURE MOD

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Anymore, the only place I drive my car is to work and back, or really quick stops at stores where I'm in and out in 10 minutes. I have pictures of everything, so if it's stolen I have full re-imbursment for it. Granted, it's not a collectors edition or anything special other than to me.
Old 01-07-2008, 10:36 AM
Staging Lane

That trackstick wouldn't do you any good. You need the trackstick to plug into your computer to tell you were the car has been.
Old 01-07-2008, 11:33 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Yikes man! I'm very sorry to hear this. I absolutely hate that feeling you get when someone steals something that belongs to you. Good luck with the search!
Old 01-07-2008, 01:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

I hope your insurance pays well. Like I said before, mine paid me for an appraised price and not bluebook. I got like $26k for the car and $2k for contents. So I bought my LE for $28k. I could have found an LE for a little less, but this one was special as the guy bought from the same dealer I bought my white car from...after I finished my order with all the SLP options the dealer asked me to help him order an LE with SLP content. I did and it turns out this LE was THAT car. That's why my vert LE has Bilstsien susp, CME etc. Just keep the faith man, maybe the insurance money will buy you a nice 5th gen? You never know? Strange things happen and if you keep your mind in the right place opportunity may be knocking?
Old 01-07-2008, 01:38 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Sorry bout your loss.
Old 01-07-2008, 01:44 PM
TECH Veteran

That is weird since F-bodies around Weschester NY are the least likely cars to be heisted. Apparently, thieves here would not risk jail for a car whose book value is less than $10K. They would rather steal high-end cars or ricers with gas-sipping engines.

I recently visited Columbia South America on business. Most of their cars are small ricers and German midgets that have been stolen from the the USA or Europe. Apparently, they have to fill the empty cargo ships that unload lead-based toys from China.

Hopefully, you will find it in one peice!

I looked at those Trackstick units on the Net. Most don't allow real-time tracking as a theift recovery function; right?

I suppose Low-Jacks are an alternative.
Old 01-07-2008, 02:26 PM
Restricted User

sorry to hear it bro
Old 01-07-2008, 03:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

Sorry to hear that about your car. After hearing your story I am going to look into Lojack for my TA. That just sucks that some low-life is going to make money by parting out your rare car. It sucks even more that even if he was caught...he would do two years in jail just to come out and do it again. I hope you get it back...keep us posted.

Quick Reply: Worst day of my life!!!!