Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ls2 timing set vs double adjustable set?

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2008, 12:07 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

[QUOTE=chrs1313;8535598]
Originally Posted by 405HP_Z06
If you need PTV clearance, flycut.

QUOTE]

Yeah because flycutting is just so much fun and easy to do over advancing retarding the timing...

also i know lots of people just change the chain but wouldnt u just want piece of mind to have sprockets that were actually made for an ls2 chain...even if it looks ok i bet it isnt a 100 percent perfect fit...those sprockets are made for ls1 chains...to each his own...
Why would you need to advance or retard a CUSTOM cam. Doing so would be nothing more than a band-aid and would eliminate the purpose of getting a custom cam.

FYI the LS2 chain is the redesigned LS1 chain. You can no longer get the LS1 chain through GM. So technically its the correct chain for the LS1 sprocket.
Old 01-22-2008, 02:36 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by 65SSZO6
My Chevy dealer will sell me the LS2 for $100,
check the sponsors.... $40 here:

http://www.texas-speed.com/shop/item...d=620&catid=53

PS, they have a comparison pic, LS1 vs LS2 chains
Old 01-22-2008, 03:31 AM
10 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

[QUOTE=DONAIMIAN;8542095]
Originally Posted by chrs1313

Why would you need to advance or retard a CUSTOM cam. Doing so would be nothing more than a band-aid and would eliminate the purpose of getting a custom cam.

FYI the LS2 chain is the redesigned LS1 chain. You can no longer get the LS1 chain through GM. So technically its the correct chain for the LS1 sprocket.
well i had to for mine...would you be okay with .072 clearance on the intake...just because you order what u think is okay doesnt mean that it will be ground exactly the same or fit perfectly like you perdicted...even another sponsor told me he would have thought my cam would fit with plently of clearance and wouldnt have even worried about it...yeah it isnt that bad but .072 or maybe even smaller when do you cross the line...i would rather retard the timing over flycutting the pistons with the motor still in the car...so bandaid or not...flexability is the key...why not just get an adjustable ls2/double roller set for what an extra 60 dollars...
Old 01-22-2008, 08:52 AM
TECH Addict

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by CHRS1313

well i had to for mine...would you be okay with .072 clearance on the intake...just because you order what u think is okay doesnt mean that it will be ground exactly the same or fit perfectly like you perdicted...even another sponsor told me he would have thought my cam would fit with plently of clearance and wouldnt have even worried about it...yeah it isnt that bad but .072 or maybe even smaller when do you cross the line...i would rather retard the timing over flycutting the pistons with the motor still in the car...so bandaid or not...flexability is the key...why not just get an adjustable ls2/double roller set for what an extra 60 dollars...
CHRS1313,
You stated it earlier, "to each his own". I would have flycut, but that's ME or my own as you state. I also agree with Donaimian, the LS2 is the latest revision to the chain for the LS engine from GM. If you take a look at both the stock LS1 and LS2 timing gears, they are dimensionally the same and manufactured of the same material. Concerning aftermarket sets for the LS2, that's a whole 'nother ball game as they are all different and the reason for this thread.

To the OP, there are a multitude of opinions for every timing set out there. Do what makes sense and fits your budget.
Old 01-22-2008, 12:20 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by RooRnZ28
check the sponsors.... $40 here:

http://www.texas-speed.com/shop/item...d=620&catid=53

PS, they have a comparison pic, LS1 vs LS2 chains
Thanks for the link.I thought the LS2 was a double roller! I will definately go with the RollMaster Double roller with bearing and spacers for $114.My cost is $40 on the LS2 chain,$100 for both gears and the LS2 chain.Thanks again for the info.

Quick Reply: Ls2 timing set vs double adjustable set?