Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Coolant flush help

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2008, 11:49 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Coolant flush help

I just did a coolant flush on my 2000 Trans am and i didn't know about putting in Dex. so.. i just put in the green stuff.

My PROBLEM is i didn't know what the block drain plugs looked like so i know that there is still Dex cool in the system and i have read the the two mixed together will creat a slime in the coolant.

SO HOW LONG DO I HAVE!!! can i wait till the next weekend if i don't drive my car, or get it done now.

Also should i take out the drain plugs on the block and/or use a flush kit. if so what one is there. I know now to use Dex too.

Thanks for your help
Old 01-20-2008, 11:53 PM
TECH Apprentice

I actually don't think it will cause any problems as far as damage.
Old 01-21-2008, 07:38 AM
TECH Resident

You are correct, you shouldn't mix the two. I wouldn't worry about it if its only gonna be for a few days. If you flush and fill on Sat you'll be OK. I would suggest running just water and a flushing agent for a day or two, if you can, (Be advised if it is below freezing do NOT run only water in your system) to really dilute the mix in the car and clean out the system.
Old 01-21-2008, 08:15 AM
Launching!

the two mixed together causes a corrosive
Old 01-21-2008, 10:39 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by m6speed
the two mixed together causes a corrosive
I don't think your info there is exactly right....

I can see them causing a slime... but corrosive? I doubt it...

I'd take off your thermostat housing, and undo your upper radiator hose... stick a water hose in the top inlet of the engine, and let it flush for roughly 10 minutes... take the drain plug outa your radiator, let it drain, and do the same with the water hose... take out the coolant resvoir, empty it, and wash it out real good as well...

after your done, get some distilled water and coolant and mix them appropriatley.

personally i hated the dexcool stuff as it seemed to break down and sludge up over time anyways... it coagulates like crazy... i went with the Prestone Extended Life greenish/yellow stuff and it's been great...
Old 01-21-2008, 11:09 AM
TECH Resident

Most of the anti-freeze sold now is compatible with dexcool's low/no silicate & phosphate based ethylene glycol. If you still have the jugs that your anti-freeze came from, look and see if it says compatible. It is, you're golden.
Old 01-21-2008, 11:45 AM
12 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by 01Z28M6
Most of the anti-freeze sold now is compatible with dexcool's low/no silicate & phosphate based ethylene glycol. If you still have the jugs that your anti-freeze came from, look and see if it says compatible. It is, you're golden.

I agree prestone has a new antifreeze that you can mix with any color or brand. You should check the jug, goodluck!
Old 01-21-2008, 12:00 PM
10 Second Club

i believe mixing would make an acidic environment and not caustic.
Old 01-21-2008, 12:16 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Soul TKR
personally i hated the dexcool stuff as it seemed to break down and sludge up over time anyways... it coagulates like crazy... i went with the Prestone Extended Life greenish/yellow stuff and it's been great...
when I changed it in my truck it was 6 years old, 165k, looked good and tested to -10. My ex wife's Burb had sludged up by 55k. I have read where air getting in the system causes it to sludge up. But air mixes with it in the coolant tank so I dunno Switched the Burb to green stuff and still running Dex in the truck with good results
Old 01-21-2008, 01:01 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You are fine, just flush out the system totally and switch either to all dexcool or all green. As far as I've heard, mixing the two just limits the protective properties of them both.
Old 01-21-2008, 01:33 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Today most antifreeze is made to mix with other coolants.
I know back 5 years ago I worked on cars that mixed orange with the green and it messed the whole car up you couldent get it cleen no matter how manytimes you flushed them out and a new radiator wouldent solve the problem but you could get it cleen enugh in order to keep the car running after 2 days of cleening out the system.
If it were me I'd take it some where to flush it out now just bite the bullett and pay for it man. Maby today they can mix but if you could have seen what I did to those cars 5 years ago you would have never mixed them.

Last edited by BLACK2001SS; 01-21-2008 at 01:40 PM.
Old 01-23-2008, 08:31 AM
Teching In

Default Thanks

Thanks everyone!! i am just going to go to a place today and get it flushed out, and make sure i get the Dex put it. I just hope everythings else on these car is not a hard to do. Well let u guys know the oil and rear end change is next.
Old 01-23-2008, 10:40 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Well I wouldent say this is the best car to learn how to work on haha.
when you get it flushed make shure you tell them what you did and just tell them to cleen it realy good no matter what they say. Oil is easy just get some ramps the rear is a pain just becaus you have to take off the dam cover, Glad I have a new cover with a drain plug.
Old 01-23-2008, 02:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Silvercopbait
Thanks everyone!! i am just going to go to a place today and get it flushed out, and make sure i get the Dex put it. I just hope everythings else on these car is not a hard to do. Well let u guys know the oil and rear end change is next.
I think you would of been fine if you just ran the car with water in it. Keep the car running and just let it drain over and over again. You can get some stuff from autozone or anywhere that will flush the system. It's very simple and there's a writeup on how to do it. Even I managed to do this one myself. Then replace with the green stuff.
Old 01-23-2008, 03:26 PM
TECH Veteran

Dex is yellow in color NOT green. Dex is the antifreeze that is called for by GM.

Based on what I have read here and elsewhere, I would not take a chance on hoping that you bought green antifreeze that is compatible with Dex. Get this toxic mixture out immediately and do not drive the car.

Anyway, after I drained the toxic mixture in a holding container, I would then run the car with a garden hose in the top of the radiator for at least 1/2 hour. Make sure the thermostat opens... a good indicator is the temp guage.

Stop the car, let it cool and drain as much H20 out as possible. Fill with Dex and hope you did not do major damage. You need to make sure you get all the air out of the system before you drive it since air locks will cause the system to not circulate antifreze.

Re-cycle the toxic mixture and do not pour it down a sewage drain.
Old 01-23-2008, 03:49 PM
TECH Regular

I'm having a mental block, my Trans Am is in Kansas, and I am in Fort Drum so help me out here. I can't recall coolant drain plugs on an LS1 in the F body. Is this correct or has my mind gone senile in the abscence of my car?
Old 02-29-2008, 01:33 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by allbaugh_04
I think you would of been fine if you just ran the car with water in it. Keep the car running and just let it drain over and over again. You can get some stuff from autozone or anywhere that will flush the system. It's very simple and there's a writeup on how to do it. Even I managed to do this one myself. Then replace with the green stuff.
I keep hearing about a write-up on replacing coolant and but can't seem to find it through a search.

Can anyone point me in the right direction?

I've got a write-up on replacing a thermostat so I'm going to follow that, but I'm concerned about getting all the old coolant out.
Old 02-29-2008, 07:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by AlwaysThinkin
I keep hearing about a write-up on replacing coolant and but can't seem to find it through a search.

Can anyone point me in the right direction?

I've got a write-up on replacing a thermostat so I'm going to follow that, but I'm concerned about getting all the old coolant out.
here you go man...you can use this as a reference...it's how to change the thermostat, but it will tell you everything else you need to know. maybe this is the one you already have, but just do like i said in the previous post and you will have no problems. if you keep the car running and replace it all with water and turn the heater up in the car, it will work its way out till there is no more coolant left. Turn the car off and let the water drain out...replace with the green stuff or your choice...it's seriously that simple. if you have any questions pm me

http://www.installuniversity.com/ins...ostat_swap.htm