Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

MS3 or MS4 Daily Driver

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2008, 04:28 PM
10 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Camaro396
Cam & Valvesprings is going to run you anywhere from 500-1000 depending on where your at and who does it. I personally would do it yourself. I did my MS4 cam swap myself when I was 18 with just basic knowledge of turning wrenchs. www.ls1howto.com has a great guide that is almost retard proof. On another note, a MS4, with supporting mods, like longtubes, cutout, FAST 90/90 set up, and a good tune, will make 400+ at the wheels no problem. I personally would go MS4. Go big or go home. Dont wanna have to do things twice! I have it with stock heads and the mods I listed above and expect 400+rwhp
go big or go home huh...i bet your ms4 didnt make has much flat torque and hp as my custom cam...going big is not always the answer especially for a daily driver like mine and his...i would go custom if i were u talk to partick g...also why would you drive your car untuned, and fuddle converter
Old 02-21-2008, 04:36 PM
11 Second Club

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by chrs1313
go big or go home huh...i bet your ms4 didnt make has much flat torque and hp as my custom cam...going big is not always the answer especially for a daily driver like mine and his...i would go custom if i were u talk to partick g...also why would you drive your car untuned, and fuddle converter
cool........ and I drive it un tuned because I just got the cam swap done and dont want to tune it until the FAST 90 and 90mm are on the car?
Old 02-21-2008, 05:30 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

should have waited to get all those things done at the same time....
Old 02-22-2008, 10:57 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by chrs1313
This is kind of what I mean. I really am not as impressed with a cam that throws up big numbers but across the board is not too impressive! I would rather have a cam that performs really well throughout the RPM band! Plus it is and always will be my daily! I have an old mustang to get nasty with. I just want more street power for any unexpected stoplight wars!

I just heard a lot of good things about the MS4 and I know it is the biggest you can go on stock heads without flycutting however it may not be the best overall cam! I want the best overall cam for longtubes and a lid, maybesome other minor bolt ons....ex. pulley, mass
Old 02-22-2008, 11:26 AM
TECH Senior Member

that what we all have ben telling you...

pick up the pat g cam from tr, it will get what you are wanting then, there was a thread a long while back with people's opinion about donkey cams in daily drivers that tells you all this info we kept telling you
Old 02-22-2008, 11:57 AM
TECH Enthusiast

^ That's what my cam is. I think chris's, Bay area SS, and me all have similar cams with great results. There's no need for a Magic Stick unless your building a race car. Low 230's is all you need for the street.
The cam spec is 230/232 110 lsa xfi/xe-r .612/.595 is what the lift came out to. It cam as ground as a 231/233 111 lsa but its close enough. Its a good cam.
Old 02-22-2008, 01:58 PM
11 Second Club

He asked for an opinion and I gave him one. My MS4 is awesome in my car. I cant wait to get the stall and gear in. Even right now its not horrible in the low RPMs.
Old 02-22-2008, 02:17 PM
On The Tree

I drive my car with the MS4, I wouldnt say daily drive but that is becasue everytime I drive the damn hting the gas gauge goes from full to empty to fast so I ride my gsxr 1000 or drive my POS car I bought for $10. But I do love to drive my car, winter also makes it so I can't. I take my car out on the weekends is about it, but I love it, I got it tuned, I also drove it around a lot before I got it tuned. Hard to keep it started before the tune sometimes.
Old 02-22-2008, 05:33 PM
Teching In

Guys all these replies are great! I know I am probably pissing some of you guys off but I am honestly trying to make sure I make an informed desicion as I do not want to do this twice. I appreciate everyones opinions! I am learning a lot! I need to look into that pat cam! Those "donkey" cams sure do claim a lot of power though!
Old 02-22-2008, 05:39 PM
TECH Senior Member

yeah so do supra's and their 1000 hp dyno numbers with 10 second time slips.....
Old 02-22-2008, 06:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

I disagree with this statement. I did my MS4 swap about three weeks ago and have been Daily Driving the car since, Untuned- with a stock stall on top of that and have no problems other than trying to push through the brakes at stop lights, but thats a given with a stock stall until the new one goes in next week. The only thing you have to consider with these cams is letting them warm up before driving.

+1 My MS4 is a good daily driver cam it really just depends on your tune though. You have to find someone that knows what there doing. I'm able to drive around at 1,400 in 6th with no proplems. starts right up. its like driving a stock car with a grumpy sound to it

heres my mod list.

SLP lid, Cold air
Kooks 1 3/4 stepped 1 7/8 &, Y pipe, Borla exhaust
BMR ADJ. torque arm, torque arm relocation, ADJ. panhard bar, SFC , LCA and relocation brackets &, drive shaft loop
Strange Dana S60, 4.10 gears, true track, Chromoly Drive Shaft
TSP MS4 cam ported LS6 oil pump, LS2 timing chain, LS7 lifters, PRC 650 springs, TSP pushrods

everything else is stock.

I just dynoed 420rwhp/389rwtq

I would recomend this cam to anyone.Installing its a breeze.
Old 02-22-2008, 06:37 PM
12 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Not a fan of the Big lift cams, not needed! on a DD'er. IMHO!
I have a Hotcam with the Mods in my SIG, and made 406hp and 378TQ, after my 85mm mafs, and ported Fast90 and 90mm UMI TB. Before that I made 393hp and 370TQ. I am very impressed with the cam and I dont have to worry about changing valve springs, and I can have my AC on in traffic on 110deg days!
On a side note
I just picked up some Harland Sharp 1.8's and went for a retune to Straightline since my lift is now .556 up from .525, but maxed out my injectors! waiting on a set of 36lb'ers.

as far as supporting mods I would say upgrade!
the oil pump, I have a melling and left the high pressure spring in it!
the pushrods, I bought Compcam Chromoly!
the valvesprings, I bought Ls6's at first but my lift changed and now Im getting Patriot golds!
the Timing Chain, I bought an Ls2, check your sprockets if they are wornout then replace'm!
Just my .o2 cents!

Last edited by litle88; 02-22-2008 at 06:50 PM.
Old 02-22-2008, 06:39 PM
TECH Addict

Streetable is a very subjective term. I had a custom cam ground for me because I don't use the really high RPM's much and needed something with a very strong midrange and that's exactly what I received.
Personally I could drive everyday with a large cam like the MS4 and be fine with it but I know a lot of people wouldn't like the extra effort that goes into it. Either way if you upgrade everything that needs to be and do it with quality products you won't have to worry about cutting your engine's life short. It's when people cut corners or absolutely beat on their cars when the problems come up.
Old 02-22-2008, 11:39 PM
TECH Enthusiast

There's no way a MS4 is going to drive like a stock car. Its just not going to happen. It kills me that some of you guys are saying that. The only guys your gonna convince of that is someone that's doing their first cam install and your misleading them. A big cam like that is not going to be smooth in the lower rpm's its still going to be trying to lope. My cam doesn't drive like stock and its quite a bit smaller than a MS.
Old 02-22-2008, 11:41 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I daily drove my ms4 and will be again in my forged motor
Old 02-23-2008, 12:25 AM
11 Second Club

I love the people who DONT have a MS cam saying "there is no way it will drive like a stock car" and all the people who DO have them are saying diffrent. Its like they know, but us who actually have the cam dont know. Like I said before, my MS4 drives like a STOCK car with a naughty sound and performance. I vote go for it.
Old 02-23-2008, 09:03 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I love the people who DONT have a MS cam saying "there is no way it will drive like a stock car" and all the people who DO have them are saying diffrent. Its like they know, but us who actually have the cam dont know. Like I said before, my MS4 drives like a STOCK car with a naughty sound and performance. I vote go for it.
That wasn't people that was me. And I thought I explained myself really well. Call Texas Speed and ask them if a Magic Stick is going to drive like a stock car. Its not going to be as bad for you because your a auto with a high stall and 4.10 gears, for a manual its not going to be ideal for a DD.
But I mean what am I thinking my 230's cam doesn't drive like stock, maybe I should go to a magic stick so my driveability will be better.
Old 02-23-2008, 09:38 AM
TECH Senior Member

i had an MS4, and traded it for a 226..... you could definatly tell you picked up lower end power where a street car spends all it's time. so i know what i was talking about.
Old 02-23-2008, 10:37 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have a MS3 with a 3800 converter and 3.73 gears. It never made the power it was advertised to make. My wife will not drive the car due to its bucking at idol. It will embarasse you when it dies on you in traffic at the light. I have to start the car in the stageing lanes and let it idol the whole time or it will die on me on the starting line. I am building a new 408 and I will not run that camagain or even try the ms4 cam. It makes ok power, but it will not idol at all. I have had it tuned and re-tuned. I am sure the issue is in the tune, but I have given up on getting it tuned. My next cam will be a custom ground cam, speced by my builder. Specs will be a closely gaurded secret. I would think a M6 car would be a better choice for the MS3 or the MS4.
Old 02-23-2008, 10:42 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ProjectCamaro
Streetable is a very subjective term. I had a custom cam ground for me because I don't use the really high RPM's much and needed something with a very strong midrange and that's exactly what I received.
Personally I could drive everyday with a large cam like the MS4 and be fine with it but I know a lot of people wouldn't like the extra effort that goes into it. Either way if you upgrade everything that needs to be and do it with quality products you won't have to worry about cutting your engine's life short. It's when people cut corners or absolutely beat on their cars when the problems come up.

He is right, I have about 30,000 miles on my cam now. But all of those miles have proven to me that the MS3 is NOT a DD cam. I have grown to hate mine.

Quick Reply: MS3 or MS4 Daily Driver