Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

MS3 or MS4 Daily Driver

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2008, 07:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Fastback302
Crap I have 843 heads...is this bad compared to the 241's....if I plan to go with a tr224 or tsp228 cam would the fact that I have 843's hurt the performance....would you put springs in a 843 or spend the money to polish them or should I just buy LS6 heads or better? I have a funny feeling I am going to spend more money than I thought...but I have that horsepower bug bitting me and I want to do it right the first time...car only has 40k miles
Don't worry about the heads. There is very little difference between the 843's and 241's. The 'as cast' port has a slightly better surface unported, but nothing the butt-dyno could really pickup. Maybe 5hp difference.

Both of those cams are small enough to give you great performance cam-only, then give you a solid foundation later for the heads of your choice when the money tree has replenished your mod stash.

Also, the best piece of advice I can give you is don't get hung up on a number. Make the car run the way you want, and let the numbers fall where they may.
Old 02-28-2008, 07:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by reject
woops lol been trying to get them to sticky that for a while, hopefully one day...
At least it made it to the Got cam/heads/rocker/machining questions about LS1, LS2, LS6? READ ME FIRST! sticky in internal. I agree it would best be served as a sticky on it's own.

Old 02-29-2008, 11:14 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by hammertime
Don't worry about the heads. There is very little difference between the 843's and 241's. The 'as cast' port has a slightly better surface unported, but nothing the butt-dyno could really pickup. Maybe 5hp difference.

Both of those cams are small enough to give you great performance cam-only, then give you a solid foundation later for the heads of your choice when the money tree has replenished your mod stash.

Also, the best piece of advice I can give you is don't get hung up on a number. Make the car run the way you want, and let the numbers fall where they may.
Okay I wont get to worried about it then!
Old 03-01-2008, 05:38 PM
On The Tree

so i have a a4 car full bolt ons and i`m doing my trans right now with a 3600 stall and i`m going to use 3.42`s and run a 175 shot

my problem is no one has stated how`d it work with nitous, is this going to be a bad combo? also i`m shooting for mid 10`s
Old 03-01-2008, 05:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by thndrracer
so i have a a4 car full bolt ons and i`m doing my trans right now with a 3600 stall and i`m going to use 3.42`s and run a 175 shot

my problem is no one has stated how`d it work with nitous, is this going to be a bad combo? also i`m shooting for mid 10`s
The general consensus is that unless you are pushing a 200 shot or more, that a cam is a cam. Only above that point should you begin to worry about a larger exhaust split or wider LSA. Even then, the VE's still need to be there to do what you want off the bottle too.

Most people say that the MS3 & MS4 cams respond very well to nitrous.
Old 03-01-2008, 06:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

OP, let me give you a fair warning. The same warning that i wished i would have gotten. There is no "safe setup" as far as switching cams/heads. Yesterday my car got dynoed. It put down 435 rwhp, with basically no tune (it was getting tuned). Next pull, spun bearing. Just like that, I have a shortblock that is basically worthless. I have to pull the engine, and probably either have it rebuilt or buy a forged block and have it reinstalled. And I got ALL the goodies that people say you need to be safe. Ls6 oil pump, timing chain, rockers, pushrods, upgraded springs. I even did the drivetrain, 9" rear, driveshat, viper main t56, clutch. I went with a mild cam as well (much smaller than either one of the ones you are considering). The car had 25,000 miles on it, which is relatively low mileage. I am not trying to discourage you from putting a cam in your car. Lots of people do it, and have relatively no problems. They do it on blocks with over 100,000 miles and spray a 200 shot and their cars run strong for long periods of time. But you need to understand the risks involved here. Good luck in whatever you decide to do, but don't let anyone tell you that such and such setup is 100% safe.
Old 03-01-2008, 06:11 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by hammertime
The general consensus is that unless you are pushing a 200 shot or more, that a cam is a cam. Only above that point should you begin to worry about a larger exhaust split or wider LSA. Even then, the VE's still need to be there to do what you want off the bottle too.

Most people say that the MS3 & MS4 cams respond very well to nitrous.
sweet thanks
Old 03-01-2008, 06:44 PM
TECH Apprentice

even thought the MS4 is bigger and has a lower lsa it still has better drivability than ms3 and more power sooner.
Old 03-02-2008, 03:27 AM
TECH Apprentice

it all depends on what you are looking for. If you are looking for a big cam with an agressive idle that will make some decent power cam only then go with something like the MS3 and MS4. Most of your driveablilty is in a tune, if you don't get a solid tune on your car, especially a cam like the MS3/MS4 you will see issues like some of these people have decribed. I personally daily drive an MS3/PRC headed car and absolutely enjoy it, i got a great tune and the car drives great even with stock 3.42 gearing. If you are looking for something fairly aggressive but not as big as the MS4 look at the Torquer v.3, it has the same aggressive lobes but less duration. This gives the cam more power and low end torque while still keeping the driveability of a smaller cam. Either way with a good tune almost any cam is driveable. Good Luck with your build.
Old 03-03-2008, 09:56 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by rocksws6
That wasn't people that was me. And I thought I explained myself really well. Call Texas Speed and ask them if a Magic Stick is going to drive like a stock car. Its not going to be as bad for you because your a auto with a high stall and 4.10 gears, for a manual its not going to be ideal for a DD.
But I mean what am I thinking my 230's cam doesn't drive like stock, maybe I should go to a magic stick so my driveability will be better.
I've got a M6 and I still think it drives just fine.

Like it's been said over and over it's all about the TUNE! Good tune good running car. Just makes sense. I went to TSP and had them tune it for me. Got the car home and it ran like crap! So I took it to another guy and the car runs great! I can stick the car in 6th at 50 mph and just cruse along no problems and as far as taking off from lights and city stop and go the car does great.

I also have to say I'm glad I don't have the "low end torque” that I guess I don't have when I'm spinning all the way through 1st and most of 2nd. (granted that I have 4.10’s in my S60).
Old 03-03-2008, 11:50 AM
TECH Apprentice

So much is in the tune, from drivability to performance to gas milage. I think the biggest issues with most shops is that the tune focuses on two things: idle and WOT.
I am close to purchasing EFILive V2, and if it's anything like tuning OBDI stuff, it takes a lot of data logging at part throttle. Then making changes to the bin, and logging some more, etc, until you are satisfied. You can't really blame the busy shops for this. But for a DD, the time invested will pay off. I can't wait to start tuning the OBDII (it's just a damn shame it's so expensive).
Old 03-03-2008, 12:19 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by BlackSS2001
I've got a M6 and I still think it drives just fine.

Like it's been said over and over it's all about the TUNE! Good tune good running car. Just makes sense. I went to TSP and had them tune it for me. Got the car home and it ran like crap! So I took it to another guy and the car runs great! I can stick the car in 6th at 50 mph and just cruse along no problems and as far as taking off from lights and city stop and go the car does great.

I also have to say I'm glad I don't have the "low end torque” that I guess I don't have when I'm spinning all the way through 1st and most of 2nd. (granted that I have 4.10’s in my S60).
Yeah I'm not really happy with my tune. It was expensive for one $575 and then it was surging a little bit around 1600 so I took it back to them and they made it out like I was just being a picky bitch. If I had it to do over again I would buy HP tuners and do it myself. I won't say the name of the shop because they're are a sponser here, but they are very big shop with a good reputation. But I don't see how they got it. Anybody that's debating between the two, taking it somewhere or doing it yourself. Do it yourself.
Old 03-03-2008, 02:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by landonew
OP, let me give you a fair warning. The same warning that i wished i would have gotten. There is no "safe setup" as far as switching cams/heads. Yesterday my car got dynoed. It put down 435 rwhp, with basically no tune (it was getting tuned). Next pull, spun bearing. Just like that, I have a shortblock that is basically worthless. I have to pull the engine, and probably either have it rebuilt or buy a forged block and have it reinstalled. And I got ALL the goodies that people say you need to be safe. Ls6 oil pump, timing chain, rockers, pushrods, upgraded springs. I even did the drivetrain, 9" rear, driveshat, viper main t56, clutch. I went with a mild cam as well (much smaller than either one of the ones you are considering). The car had 25,000 miles on it, which is relatively low mileage. I am not trying to discourage you from putting a cam in your car. Lots of people do it, and have relatively no problems. They do it on blocks with over 100,000 miles and spray a 200 shot and their cars run strong for long periods of time. But you need to understand the risks involved here. Good luck in whatever you decide to do, but don't let anyone tell you that such and such setup is 100% safe.
did you put in rod bolts? It was not till mid-late 2000 that they put in better rod bolts.
Old 03-03-2008, 03:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

Yeah I'm not really happy with my tune. It was expensive for one $575 and then it was surging a little bit around 1600 so I took it back to them and they made it out like I was just being a picky bitch. If I had it to do over again I would buy HP tuners and do it myself. I won't say the name of the shop because they're are a sponser here, but they are very big shop with a good reputation. But I don't see how they got it. Anybody that's debating between the two, taking it somewhere or doing it yourself. Do it yourself.
Yeah but doing it yourself would be a big mistake if you don't know what your doing though. When the last guy tuned mine he stuck in a different pcm it was a self learning self tuning one and it blue toothed everything to his laptop he could also tune while we were driving down the road. It was awesome! We did that for about 1 1/2 hours then went on the dyno for the same amount of time. He does it all on the side too so he didnt charge an arm and a leg like most people do. I'll be seeing him again once I get my new parts on the car. shooting for 450+ to the wheels.
Old 03-03-2008, 06:00 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

what program was it? EFI live ?
Old 03-03-2008, 11:42 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by BlackSS2001
Yeah but doing it yourself would be a big mistake if you don't know what your doing though.
There's only one way to learn. That and I got a buddy that has a little know how that could have helped me out a little bit if needed.
Old 03-04-2008, 02:00 PM
TECH Fanatic

There's only one way to learn. That and I got a buddy that has a little know how that could have helped me out a little bit if needed.
It's always good to know people in high places haha.
Old 03-04-2008, 05:20 PM
TECH Senior Member

just wanting to give my other two cents on learning to tune a MS-series cam....AHAHAHAH

lol those are one of the most hardest cams to learn when your a newb at tuning. i tried
Old 03-05-2008, 08:43 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by reject
just wanting to give my other two cents on learning to tune a MS-series cam....AHAHAHAH

lol those are one of the most hardest cams to learn when your a newb at tuning. i tried
Yeah I bet. Them and the T-Rex. big nasty cams haha. but once tuned the right way are like purring lil kittens... hahaha
Old 03-05-2008, 01:35 PM
TECH Senior Member

yeah but like i said a newb trying to tune those cam's is near impossible. not enough experience to know what the cam wants, with that big of a cam you have to pull all your notes out to tune correctly....with out damaging your engine in the process. again i'm takling about newb tuners

Quick Reply: MS3 or MS4 Daily Driver